Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Military Photo Thread (Discussion)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Decoy

Also being used by the Marines as the M27 Infantry Automatic Rifle - basically a 416 with a heavier barrel and a few other mods to make automatic fire safer.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M27_Infantry_Automatic_Rifle

:confused: Didn't I already say that?

http://kitup.military.com/2011/06/goodbye-saw-hello-iar.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭whydave

whydave wrote: »
    610xap.jpg
    ''When I was fighting the Nazis,we didn't need all that fancy stuff!''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Sod'o swords

Is that a large calibre mp5, carbine G3 or something else altogether? I thought that version of the G3 was only in airsoft.

x800u.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,640 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

It's a HK 53

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭swiftblade

It's a HK G3K A4. Basically a chopped down G3. The met police use them as well I think. :)

Edit: never mind. Listen to Blay ;)

Is that a large calibre mp5, carbine G3 or something else altogether? I thought that version of the G3 was only in airsoft.

x800u.jpg
    hk53a3.jpg
    HK53A3 with retractable buttstock,info here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

U.S. Army Spc. Dustin Schuetze of the 172nd Separate Infantry Brigade,Task Force Blackhawk communicates via embitter radio at Combat Outpost Yousef Kehl, Paktika province, Afghanistan, Aug. 20

The radio may indeed feel embittered at the conditions it has to work in, but it's more likely to be an MBITR.

Speech-to-text failure, I think.

(see also, BOWMAN = Better Off With Map And Nokia.)

800xod.jpg

Okay class, can you see any thing wrong in this picture ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭Chuck the Buck

Yup wondering about that my self when I seen it yesterday. But the real question is how the feck did he loose it?!?!?!?! Its not airsoft, bits usually don't just fall off randomly!

Yup wondering about that my self when I seen it yesterday. But the real question is how the feck did he loose it?!?!?!?! Its not airsoft, bits usually don't just fall off randomly!

Top of the class for you young man !!!!!
    well sh*t happens when your hit by an IED me thinks !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 572 ✭✭✭airsoftdes

Not sure what most people think about some of the pictures being posted in the photo thread, but the pics of wounded or killed service men/women is an absolute f/ing disgrace.

How would you like if someone but up a picture of your dad,mother,brother,sister etc dead or wounded im sure you won't like it one bloody bit at all :mad::mad:

I think all pictures as of now should be banned END OFF

SHOW A BIT OF ****ING RESPECT PLEASE!!!!!!!

airsoftdes wrote: »
    Not sure what most people think about some of the pictures being posted in the photo thread, but the pics of wounded or killed service men/women is an absolute f/ing disgrace.

How would you like if someone but up a picture of your dad,mother,brother,sister etc dead or wounded im sure you won't like it one bloody bit at all :mad::mad:

Here's only one solution to your problem: Don't look at the thread.

no theres a better one pal dont put them up

how do you get enjoyment from looking at lads in pain or dying or dead
    wants wrong with you seriously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

i can appreshiate your view point, have to say we have been lucky and most people have followed the guide lines i posted when we started the thread
    We see a large number of real world pictures used as reference in these forums, i thought it would be interesting for use to have a thread for interesting photos that people come across and maybe generate some general discussion,

- Please do not post anything graphic
    - Please have respect for the subject mater, please have respect for deceased and injured service men and women.

if there is anything particularly offensive all i can advice is that you report the post

no theres a better one pal dont put them up

how do you get enjoyment from looking at lads in pain or dying or dead
    wants wrong with you seriously

Nobody is identified in the pictures...they're publicly accessible photos...contact the photographers and complain to them. There's no 'disrespect' obvious in any of the photos, if anything it's the opposite.

@ PUDING thank you for your respectful reply

@BLAY just because someone else takes the photo doesnt make it right to post here and not to mention when people click the like button :confused::confused::confused:

the photo thread is a fantastic thread just i think there are thousands of photo you can upload why them

and blay if someone blew up your family would you enjoy them being spread over the internet

@BLAY just because someone else takes the photo doesnt make it right to post here and not to mention when people click the like button :confused::confused::confused:

the photo thread is a fantastic thread just i think there are thousands of photo you can upload why them

and blay if someone blew up your family would you enjoy them being spread over the internet

I'm not getting into a debate with you over this, the same issue has been raised before and put to bed. At the end of the day the photos are taken to be seen, sweeping them under the carpet doesn't help anyone.

your not getting into a debate because is WRONG
    the people who take them are called PHOTOGRAPHERS they make money buy selling them photo's
    as for sweeping them under the carpet its not about that its about respect for
    the dead and the ones they have left behind i wonder how there mothers would feel reading your replys

this is not a personal attack on whydave just for the record

your not getting into a debate because is WRONG
    the people who take them are called PHOTOGRAPHERS they make money buy selling them photo's
    as for sweeping them under the carpet its not about that its about respect for
    the dead and the ones they have left behind i wonder how there mothers would feel reading your replys

this is not a personal attack on whydave just for the record

Reading my replys? What are you talking about? I have the utmost respect for the people in those photographs, the photos are there to remind people what service people do day in day out, it's not a fcking game, people die..pics of tanks/planes etc are good but the human element in war can't be ignored.Nobody is disrespecting anyone in the photo thread, these people are still dead/injured whether the pictures are posted or not, ignoring their sacrifice is the ultimate disrespect imo.

• Advertisement

everyone knows it aint a fuking game pal :mad::mad:
    there are photos excellent photos of human element but they dont have people injured in them
    they should not be shown end off pal , why do you enjoy viewing these photos:confused:

everyone knows it aint a fuking game pal :mad::mad:
    there are photos excellent photos of human element but they dont have people injured in them
    they should not be shown end off pal , why do you enjoy viewing these photos:confused:

Nobodys enjoying them...quote someone who said they did? People look at them and thank the posts to show admiration...stop making it out to be something sinister:rolleyes:

guys we generally try and stay clear of death and injury, i must admit to not keeping up to date on the photo thread, can you link to examples of what your finding particularly offensive?

agggh look i personally think its wrong
    those people know full well what they have signed up for and i have 100% respect for them, but i wont like photos of me or my friends/family uploaded all over the world on different forums and i think you also would too.

@ blay id love to see things from your point of view but i just can't get my head that far up my ass

ill take up over advise puding i've said enough ill report a post as of now

whydave once again not a personal attack

@ blay id love to see things from your point of view but i just can't get my head that far up my ass

Debatable..I'd say you could lick your own forehead it's that far up:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭swiftblade

If anything, the posting of such images is a good thing.

There are a few young members here on the forum. What are they to think when all they see are pictures of fit and well soldiers? "Hey, that looks like fun". There is no point sugar-coating war.

Those images reinforce the idea that war is hell. It also lets people not forgot the sacarfices those brave men and women are making.

IMO it would be more disrespectful if those images were left out.

• Advertisement

Blay wrote: »
    Debatable..I'd say you could lick your own forehead it's that far up:pac:

to be honest it's not even as far up as you think i can even lick past my forehead all the way to the back of my neck:rolleyes::rolleyes:

whydave once again not a personal attack
    Tanks and APCs !
    Can you post a link to the pics or pics in questions ,thus I can see were your coming from and we can all learn.

David

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

airsoftdes, lose the attitude please. If you have a problem with any photos then report them and give your reasons there.

I respect the point you are making, however please think about how you're making it. :)

@ steve am i the only one here with an attitude:confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

@ steve am i the only one here with an attitude:confused::confused:
    I read the posts leading up to what I posted, yours stood out as having cause for concern.
    If you wish to discuss the topic in a reasonable manner then it's fine, if it offends you then report posts or pm me and get it of your chest. I'll gladly discuss it with you - just not on-thread. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Evade

I think the solution is fairly simple. If the image is publicly available it's fine to put up and put a warning in the title like this thread in Cool Vids & Pics & Links which has images that are far more graphic than anything over here.

i'll discuss this privately no prob steve

but dont come on here and tell me to "drop my attitude" when you look at the frist reply i got reeks of attitude and total ignorance.

should you not have pm'd me rather than reply on this thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

ah boards - providing interesting material for your morning ****e.

on topic - anybody have any pictures of the Irish desert pattern? saw one a few pages back but no more.

well this is a interesting discussion as i know there was some debate when this thread was started

im not nieve enough to believe everyone on post in this thread thinks the same way but this is where im coming from

airsoft is link to the military world, there is no getting away from it, it is a fundamental component of the hobbie for good or for better, know a common problem on airsoft forums is people posting military pictures out of context just to ask what pouch someone is using for example, arnies has an on going issue with pictures of deceased seals being used for this

on of the idea i wanted to push for with this thread was to push a more balanced view and try and encourage a more mature attitude to this kinda thing with the community, and over all i have been impressed with how people have approached the thread, the large majority of people have been mature and have not had a 'what gunz is that' approch to the images and we have gradually seen more contribution from other posters who inhabit other
    forums on boards.

a number of the images you post i believe i posted so i think it is important to maybe go over the reason they where posted

although i agree with your view point and previous comments i fail to see how this image relates to your concerns, it is a strong image simple as that, i remember rudly scott once said, 'it is not pro war, it is anti war but pro military'

you could make an argument about this one, but the image was posted with a comment about the story behind it , the story had been all over the news, i felt with image brought home the volence of the incident and reminded people of the human cost as up until then it had been just a bunch of words on paper, that soon got turned into a considering theory in places

had not seen this one before but i would more than likely not posted this myself and would have to agree with you hear

do not agree with you on this one, image is from a new article and was posted along with the article, very powerful very strong, important to highlight human side rather than the focus on hardware

for me again another strong image showing the reality of conflict, no exploitation in my mind

will 100% stand by my posting of this series of images, amazingly powerful series of images released by the us military because of the story they tell, not taken out of context and no disrepec was shown, they do not glamorous anything and focus on the human side rather than the focus on hardware again that can sometimes develop

Another powerful image which was released by the family for that very reason, your statement that respect is needed is true, the problem is the most the images you have an issue with are actually very much focused on trying to highlight the human cost and remind people that we only play a game and to have some respect for the subject matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

Grist to the mill, the Big Picture over part of the Boston Globe posts a monthly series on Afghanistan that has similar, and far more explicit photos of dead and injured people from all sides of the Afghani conflict.

I presume all the ones of westerners are released with the individuals or family permission. Personally I think it is pretty important to have these in the public domain to show the consequences of wars.

The "think of the families/children" attitude does more harm in the long run by hiding what actually goes on at the business end of wars.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Everyone needs to know what that violence results in, or is this how we want our battles to be represented?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

Puding wrote: »

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/7295/65488701.jpg

had not seen this one before but i would more than likely not posted this myself and would have to agree with you hear

Sorry, but I would defend this image being posted tbh. Although it shows wounded soldiers, to me this image conveys the comaraderie and brotherhood of soldiers who fight together and shows (to me at least) that the words "Nobody gets left behind" is not just a hollywood phrase heard in the movies, but a rule a lot of soldiers live by.

I have nothing but respect for these soldiers and for all brave military personnel around the world who risk their lives on a daily basis to keep the rest of us safe.

Personally and with respect to the poster but I didn't see anything wrong with any of the pictures highlighted. War is a dangerous and sometimes dirty business where sometimes men and women in the military pay the ultimate sacrifice and I don't think that posting all smiley happy pictures would convey this.

As long as pictues were not overly graphic, un approved (i.e. came from the mobile phone of someone in a war zone) and do not report the death or injury of any military personnel before their family have been notified by the relevant authorities, then I personally would not deem them to be disrespectful or offensive.

My 2 cents

As I post a large number of the pictures, my advice is to click the 'Report Post' icon: to bring it to the Moderators attention.They can then make a call on any issue you have.

David

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Pic was posted on the other day on the Pic thread,
    There is an article about it today in the papers about the background behind the photo:

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/americas/devoted-dog-guards-coffin-of-navy-seal-master-2859023.html

~B

bullets wrote: »
    Pic was posted on the other day on the Pic thread,
    There is an article about it today in the papers about the background behind the photo:
    http://www.independent.ie/world-news/americas/devoted-dog-guards-coffin-of-navy-seal-master-2859023.html~B
    Loyal dog refuses to leave soldier's casket.
    2508_HawkeyeDog_sp.jpg&width=310
    read more here

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

i hope this is enough to please you all

Don't know if 'pleased' is the correct word, but they seem like perfectly reasonable military photos to me.

We call it the two-way firing range for a reason. The targets shoot back.

NTM

b5658fbc.jpg

This is a class picture ! what a Sniper !!!!

Tanks could soon get night time invisibility thanks to a cloaking device that masks their infra-red signature.

BBC article

[cynicism]
    Of course, anything developed by BAE is likely to take at least twice as long as they say and cost 3 times as much. It's no wonder the British military are letting thousands go, while their families still live in dumps and their wounded have to depend on H4H & the British Legion.
    [/cynicism]

Original article (in Swedish).

Another article on the same technology: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/09/05/invisible_tank_sweden/

Decoy wrote: »

I didn't think that piece was up to El Reg's usual standard... I mean, they didn't even take a swipe at BAE. Perhaps Lewis is getting soft. Or perhaps they've had a hard day, they've had trouble with Turks hacking their DNS records.

Glad to see so many boardies visiting them though.

Forward Operating Base Tillman Sept. 7.
    Named after Pat Tillman

whydave wrote:
    1zpp3r7.jpg
    xarrmh.jpg
    A Marine with 1st Battalion, 25th Marine Regiment verifies the battle sight zero on his rifle at Camp Leatherneck, Helmand province, Sept. 5. The battalion is a reserve infantry unit based out of New England and is currently conducting in theater exercises after arriving last week.

@whydave Was there any other info provided by the source in relation to the weapon in this pic? As they are Marines it can only be the HK416-derived M27 IAR (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M27_Infantry_Automatic_Rifle) so I'm interested in how the deployment of these M249 SAW replacements is going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Evade

It does look like an M27 and judging by that picture I can see them being replaced with a more traditional support gun set up very soon.

110qx.jpg

Anyone else think it's weird that all the ARs in this series of pics of Dutch personnel (see here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74515906&postcount=853) appear to have the Fire Selector on semi? Am I missing something?

• Advertisement

Some info here

Advertisement