Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Military Photo Thread (Discussion)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Evade

Decoy wrote: »
    Anyone else think it's weird that all the ARs in this series of pics of Dutch personnel (see here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74515906&postcount=853) appear to have the Fire Selector on semi? Am I missing something?
    I was about to post the same thing, it looks wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

If Puding wasn't busy with a new baby (Jakob, congratulations Janine) he'd be wetting himself at the sight of all those spare parts sitting there for the taking*.

* Some Commission, Export, Shipping, Import and Clearance charges may apply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,640 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Anyone else think it's weird that all the ARs in this series of pics of Dutch personnel (see here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74515906&postcount=853) appear to have the Fire Selector on semi? Am I missing something?

You can't engage the safety on an ar15 unless the rifle is cocked, obviously their SOPs say to leave the rifle uncocked rather than safetied when in public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Decoy

Blay wrote: »
    You can't engage the safety on an ar15 unless the rifle is cocked, obviously their SOPs say to leave the rifle uncocked rather than safetied when in public.

Not having ever fired an AR that makes perfect sense

Not having ever fired an AR that makes perfect sense

Neither have I:P Just wasted hours reading US forums and taking all this info in:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭whydave

whydave wrote: »
    800xth.jpg
    A military vehicle carrying Iranian Zoobin fart bomb
    Sorry it's Saturday night and I had to do it ,but a Fart bomb !!!!!

(yes fart = fast )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Sorry it's Saturday night and I had to do it ,but a Fart bomb !!!!!

(yes fart = fast )

THere were some farts cracked on Saturday night in the barn at Chernarus Conflict pt.IV that were smelled before they were heard so I'd say those farts can move pretty fast alright

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Neither have I:P Just wasted hours reading US forums and taking all this info in:pac:

Or you could have just waited for me to come along and answer it for you.

For future reference, the M240/FN-MAG is similar, you cannot place it on safe until it is charged.

NTM

800xfn.jpg
    Pull your bloody pants up when I tell you to!

Glad you picked up on the Ensign Rubin photo Dave. Awesome photo. Any photgraphers care to comment on how fast a camera has to be to capture a bullet in flight like that? Dex?

Also, LOL at the size of the silencers supressors cans on those Canuck rifles. Someone's gonna come along and say "well, it's a big round" but even so...

OzCam wrote:
    Glad you picked up on the Ensign Rubin photo Dave. Awesome photo. Any photgraphers care to comment on how fast a camera has to be to capture a bullet in flight like that? Dex?

Am I missing something, is that not just an ejected casing in the pic??
    whydave wrote:
    110919nzf681107.jpg
    PACIFIC OCEAN (Sept. 19, 2011) Ensign Jennifer Rubin fires a 9mm handgun during small arms qualifications aboard the guided-missile destroyer USS Halsey (DDG 97). Halsey is underway conducting operations off the coast of Southern California.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭McGilla

Am I missing something, is that not just an ejected casing in the pic??

I second that!
    Looks like casing to me, with contact point etc,

I also think if it was the bullet the slide wouldn't be completely forward at that distance.

Yeah it's only the brass, you can see the primer in it.

Yeah it's only the brass, you can see the primer in it.

Pity.

The Australian DoD have issued a solicitation for contracts to produce uniforms to replace the first batch of MultiCam sets issued to the current Afghanistan rotation. They're going to be made in a licensed Aussie version of MultiCam (same idea as MTP), which I hereby nickname "MultiBean".

Thanks to Soldier Systems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Mr. Tezza

6qzktc.jpg2safo7k.jpg

Can anyone tell me if they're HK416s or HK417s?

Mr. Tezza wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if they're HK416s or HK417s?
    6qzktc.jpg
    H&K 416
    2safo7k.jpg
    H&K 417

Poccington wrote: »
    The Defence Forces sniper pair came second overall, losing by 30 points to a sniper pair from 2nd Battalion, 3rd Special Forces Group. It's the DF's best result to date at the ISC.
    More info here .....
    Rawhead wrote: »
    Well done to Second place -- Cpl. Michael Craven and Cpl. Lloyd Kenny of the Irish Defense Forces.

I bet the yanks were p ssed at two Paddies stopping them sweeping the top 5 places :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

OzCam wrote: »
    I bet the yanks were p ssed at two Paddies stopping them sweeping the top 5 places :)

I bet it felt even worse since they changed the rules for this years ISC, which meant all teams, regardless of country, had to use a Yank rifle. :pac:

What makes the result even better was the fact it was a sniper pair from a Line unit in the DF. It shows just how far the level of sniper training has come along in the DF, both from experiences gained from competing in the likes of the ISC, as well as the work done by the Infantry Weapons Wing and the Units running the courses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Alan b.

I know Ireland doesn't like to make a big song and dance or glorify war or our military, but am I the only one that feels the lads should have recieved a bit more recognition and publicity or their achievement?
    That's the only bit of info I've seen on the matter.

• Advertisement

Alan b. wrote: »
    I know Ireland doesn't like to make a big song and dance or glorify war or our military, but am I the only one that feels the lads should have recieved a bit more recognition and publicity or their achievement?
    That's the only bit of info I've seen on the matter.
    You'd think there'd be something about it on military.ie or at least a link on the DF's Facebook page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭CpcRc

472790.jpg

*waits for new thread in airsoft forum called "how can I make this?"*
    :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

CpcRc wrote: »
    *waits for new thread in airsoft forum called "how can I make this?"*
    :p

only thing that you can not source is the LaRue rail system which is not done as a replica yet although i could see madbul coming out with one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭CpcRc

Puding wrote: »
    only thing that you can not source is the LaRue rail system which is not done as a replica yet although i could see madbul coming out with one

But where do I get the tactical camera tripod? The rail could be a DIY jobby if someone wants to attempt it. Take the top rail off another rail system and you might be able to make the rest out of plastic or metal is you have the supplies and time.

Edit: just saw how it attaches to the main body, trickier to replicate. You're right, better to wait for a manufacturer to make one.

Base Tripod is easy, any half-decent unit from Manfrotto or Gitzo would be fine for airsoft. The Joystick Head is also easy, the one in the pic looks like a Manfrotto like this: http://www.connscameras.ie/manfrotto-322rc2-joystick-head/8024221401707pd.html . It's the next head-to-gun section that is tricky as you said but I'm sure it would be a relatively simple job for someone who knows what they're doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

CpcRc wrote: »
    But where do I get the tactical camera tripod? The rail could be a DIY jobby if someone wants to attempt it. Take the top rail off another rail system and you might be able to make the rest out of plastic or metal is you have the supplies and time.

Edit: just saw how it attaches to the main body, trickier to replicate. You're right, better to wait for a manufacturer to make one.

FK made a tactical tripod mount two years ago for her L96. Easy peasy. She's had it with her at a few TA-Events so some people have seen it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Firekitten

Literally, a camera tripod works. I use a compact ali one thats light, built a U shaped rest that screwed onto the camera plate, with a neoprene lining to protect the rifle, you can see it if you search for my sniper serial on boards. Really useful tbh.

0c3a2f67.jpg

I'm slightly puzzled as to why the Aussies don't seem to be wearing many patches on the MultiCam uniforms they're using now. They normally only wear three anyway: The Biscuit (Army Crest) on the left shoulder, a flag on the left arm, and a mission patch (i.e. MTF-3 ) on the right arm. Perhaps new MC patches aren't ready yet, but they have tan versions of all those already which are fine.

Update about the Aussie version of MultiCam. It does look like they're going down the logical MTP route. Messing with the colours would defeat the whole purpose IMO, they were very carefully chosen.
    Will the new AMP pattern follow the British MTP example and feature Crye’s MultiCam palette with a modified design, or are the colours being adjusted in any way?

Response: The prototype pattern has retained the Crye Multicam palette as it is these colours that have proven to be effective in Afghanistan. During the testing of the Australian Multicam Pattern Defence will confirm both the pattern and the palette meet the requirements for Afghanistan as well as examining what changes, if any, would improve its performance across the range of environments where Australian troops are operating.

The working title is AMP. I like it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭defenderdude

Ref pic of
    COMISAF General Stanley McChrystal with Irish Troops ISAF HQ 2010...
    I'm sure many of you have already seen and heard him but General Stanley McChrystal's talk "Listen, learn ... then lead" from last March, is really well worth listening to/watching.

http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/stanley_mcchrystal.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭MerryDespot

Pardon my ignorance - but what are the Irish contingent in ISAF doing? The little bit of digging I did online says 7 Irish are located in Kabul, so I presume that it's a headquarters role.

Just curious - I'd never seen the desert paddyflague and I'd no idea that there were any Irish over there (well, at least no Irish in the Defence Forces - obviously there are shed loads of Irish in the British Army and a few in the US contingent - even a small few in the French [foreign legion I think]...)

try here there is some good info .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭MerryDespot

Thanks Dave!

610xca.jpg
    234234u.jpg
    A photographer takes a picture of the unmanned aircraft system (UAS) Euro Hawk SIGINT. The unmanned Euro Hawk is to replace the manned Breguet Atlantic aircraft, in service since 1972.
    info here

x610xma.jpg
    This undated photo provided by the North Carolina National Guard shows 1st Lt. Ashley White from Alliance, Ohio. White, along with two enlisted men, were killed Oct. 22, 2011, by an improvised explosive device in Kandahar province, Afghanistan.
    WASHINGTON — Army 1st Lt. Ashley White died on the front lines in southern Afghanistan last weekend, the first casualty in what the Army says is a new and vital wartime attempt to gain the trust of Afghan women.
    White, like other female soldiers working with special operations teams, was brought in to do things that would be awkward or impossible for her male teammates. Frisking burqa-clad women, for example.
    This undated photo provided by the North Carolina National Guard shows 1st Lt. Ashley White from Alliance, Ohio. White was killed Oct. 22, 2011, by an improvised explosive device in Kandahar province, Afghanistan.
    Her death, in a bomb explosion in the Taliban heartland of Kandahar, underscores the risks of placing women with elite U.S. special operations teams working in remote villages.
    Military leaders and other female soldiers in the program say its rewards are great, even as it fuels debate over the roles of women in combat.
    "We could do things that the males cannot do, and they are starting to realize that," says Sgt. Christine Baldwin, who like White was among the first groups of women deployed to Afghanistan this year as specially trained "cultural support" troops.
    Male soldiers often cannot even speak to an Afghan woman because of the strict cultural norms that separate the sexes and the tradition of women remaining behind closed doors most of the time. Forcing the issue has yielded only resentment, military officials say, and has jeopardized the trust and cooperation of villagers. From the start of the war 10 years ago, Afghans have especially resented the practice of "night raids" in which male foreign soldiers enter and search homes, the traditional sanctum of women.
    "We could search the female, find out the other half of the information," Baldwin said in an interview. "If you're missing half of the lay of the land, how effective are you in engaging the populace?"
    That question was eight years in the making. It arose from the frustration of U.S. commanders who realized two years ago that as they tried to apply the principles of counterinsurgency — protect civilians and enlist them to reject insurgents and provide intelligence — they weren't reaching the majority of the Afghan population.
    Now, the first female soldiers are serving in commando units. They are trained to ferret out critical information not available to their male team members, to identify insurgents disguised as women and figure out when Afghan women are being used to hide weapons.
    U.S. women have been on the front lines in Afghanistan since the war began, and over time they have been used to reach out to the Afghan population through health care initiatives and other programs. They have traveled with Army soldiers and Marines throughout the warfront, often to assist in development projects or as part of psychological operations — what are now called MISO, or military information support operations.
    But as elite special operations teams fanned out across the country doing counterinsurgency "stability operations" in the small villages, they complained to their superiors that they weren't reaching the women and children who make up as much as 71 percent of the population.
    'We waited too long to get to this," says Command Sgt. Maj. Ledford Stigall. "We had a lot of people focused on the kill and capture, and it really took someone to say, hey it's not about kill, capture, it's about developing a country that can take care of itself."
    "Women have a voice," he said. "They can influence the men in their society."
    In 2009, under pressure from Gen. Stanley McChrystal, then the top U.S. commander in Afghanistan, and Gen. David Petraeus, then the top U.S. commander in the Middle East, the Army began to develop Cultural Support Teams.
    Last November, the first group of women went through a grueling five-day assessment that tested their physical and military skills, their problem-solving and writing abilities and their psychological and mental fitness. Those that passed moved on to a six-week training program.
    And in January, the first group of 28 women deployed to Afghanistan with Army Rangers and Special Forces teams.
    They went in two-woman teams as part of larger special operations units — usually numbering about a dozen. And they were designed to go out on patrols and into the villages with the special operators to help build relations with the communities by engaging with the Afghan women.
    In the process, they could also glean valuable intelligence about the people in the region, information they might not be able to get from the men.
    Capt. Adrienne Bryant was in the first group that deployed.Down in Helmand Province with a team of Marine special operations forces, Bryant said, the initial response from the population was tepid.
    But on her first patrol, the team introduced her and her CST teammate to a village elder.
    "He had been constantly abused by the Taliban, had been kidnapped and returned and he didn't want to work with coalition forces anymore because of the fear the Taliban was going to retaliate," said Bryant, in an interview.
    Bryant and her teammate talked to him about what they could do for the women of his village, including the medical assistance and the skills training — like sewing — they could bring. And he was interested.
    "Helmand was a pretty conservative area, women aren't really seen out much, they don't shop. So we had to disguise our sewing program, we ran it in conjunction with our clinic," said Bryant, who is from Virginia. "In case the women were being scrutinized because they were coming to learn a skill from us, they had cover by coming on clinic days."
    Baldwin, of San Diego, was sent up north with an Army special operations team in Kunduz Province. The women they encountered were hesitant at first.
    "We'd go out on patrol and be all kitted up and they were almost fearful, but once we took off that helmet, and put on the scarf, they would recognize that it was a female and the fear would be gone," she said.
    Both Baldwin and Bryant said the Afghan women and children at their meetings grew from a few to dozens. Neither said they ever felt they were in immediate danger during their eight-month deployment, although they knew what was possible.
    "Any day that they're walking into a village and engaging with the population they are at the same risk as those Special Forces, SEALs, or special operators they're detailed to. So I would say it is not for the weak-kneed," said Michael Lumpkin, the principal deputy assistant defense secretary for special operations. "These women are on the front lines in very austere locations."
    White, 24, from Alliance, Ohio, was among the 34 CST members to go to Afghanistan in the second group, and she was assigned to a Ranger unit. The Ohio native and two Rangers were killed when their assault force triggered a roadside bomb. In a press release Monday, U.S. Army Special Operations Command said White "played a crucial role as a member of a special operations strike force. Her efforts highlight both the importance and necessity of women on the battlefield today."
    Pentagon leaders know that the CSTs draw attention again to the ongoing debate over women on the battlefield, even though these are not technically combat roles.The women in the CSTs, said Stigall, have proven to be critical assets.
    "They were able to get (Afghan) women to talk about issues the men were too proud to talk about," said Stigall, who worked with the first group of teams in Afghanistan earlier this year. "The women were able to get a pulse on the community that we couldn't get from the men."
    And, he acknowledged, there were instances where the CST women were able to identify a man dressed in women's clothing, or a woman carrying a weapon, and alert their male team members.Lumpkin said that so far commanders agree the program has been a success. The third group of women is about to begin training, and the tentative plan is to have 25 permanent Army CST teams by 2016.
    "When 71 percent of the population are women and children, you have to have buy-in from a greater number of people in the villages to really connect with them, and to understand really what's going on. Because of that female-to-female connection, that can be achieved," said Lumpkin.
    He added, "We're coming late to the table, but we've recognized the value (of the program) and I think this will transcend beyond Afghanistan ... I don't see them going away any time soon."

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...eams.html?pg=1

Also killed were Sgt. 1st Class Kristoffer B. Domeij, 29, was assigned to Headquarters and Headquarters Co., 2nd Bn., 75th Ranger Regiment, at Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Wash.

Pvt. 1st Class Christopher A. Horns, 20, was assigned to Co. C, 2nd Bn., 75th Ranger Regiment, at Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Wash.

Rest in peace.

• Advertisement

B53 ... is considered to be more powerful than the atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima.

Yes, in that 9 megatons is ever so slightly a teensy weensy tiny bit bigger than 13 kilotons.

Idiots.

More on the B35, inna Register stylee. Also, the Grauniad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Pardon my ignorance - but what are the Irish contingent in ISAF doing? The little bit of digging I did online says 7 Irish are located in Kabul, so I presume that it's a headquarters role.

Just curious - I'd never seen the desert paddyflague and I'd no idea that there were any Irish over there (well, at least no Irish in the Defence Forces - obviously there are shed loads of Irish in the British Army and a few in the US contingent - even a small few in the French [foreign legion I think]...)

The lads are working in the Counter-IED Cell, in it's Ops Section and it's Analysis Section, Strategic Comms, ISAF Planning Cell, Theatre-Force Protection and ISAF Joint Ops Centre.

Those were the appointments last I read.

mp7stock2.jpg
    mp7stock1.jpg
    ayone know of an Airsoft add-on ?

ayone know of an Airsoft add-on ?

none yet

There's nothing wrong with the standard/current stock, I'm guessing that stock will only be fitted for specific, the only time it makes sense is when the user is wearing a full-face riot mask as in the picture.

Any additional info on this one whydave?

• Advertisement

mp7stock2.jpg
    Any additional info on this one
    ARS Stock Helmet Visor Stock MP7 link

There's nothing wrong with the standard/current stock, I'm guessing that stock will only be fitted for specific, the only time it makes sense is when the user is wearing a full-face riot mask as in the picture.

Any additional info on this one whydave?

they have a similar stock for the mp5 which you can get in airsoft

actually rather practical if your using a face mask or even a lower face mask

483267.jpg
    A U.S. Air Force F-15E Strike Eagle is illuminated by a lightning storm near Bagram Air Field, Afghanistan, Oct. 6, 2011.
    hires
    That's awesome, new desktop background.
    chile234.jpg
    Chile
    Seen Kyle?

@whydave

Are the pics you posted today part of a seizure or is it some guy showing off his collection?

Evade wrote: »
    Are the pics you posted today part of a seizure or is it some guy showing off his collection?
    R/S collections

R/S collections
    And I thought us airsofters were the only one to have excessive tacticrap all over the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,439 ✭✭✭✭thermo

glock17v.jpg

any sign of these extended mags for the TM Five seveN?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

4bjbgoy2828311.jpg

Is this a kalashnikov?

it is a saiga, basic design principles of the kalashnikov but for a shotgun :)

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    4bjbgoy2828311.jpg
    Is this a kalashnikov?
    Puding wrote: »
    it is a saiga, basic design principles of the kalashnikov but for a shotgun :)
    Info here

• Advertisement
Advertisement