Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit on a 1 bed flat

• 14-09-2010 5:31pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 460 ✭✭

Would a months rent deposit and 1 or 2 weeks rent up front be about right ? Is that the norm ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

four18 wrote: »
    Would a months rent deposit and 1 or 2 weeks rent up front be about right ? Is that the norm ?
    I have only ever heard of the deposit being a months rent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

The norm is a deposit equally a months rent and the first month up front.

If youre paying rent weekly then they might only ask for deposit plus the first week up front, Im not sure about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭convert

The norm would be deposit + 1 month's rent

Usually the deposit is equal to one month's rent, but just be aware that it's not unheard of it to be more - e.g. rent = 480 per month, deposit required = 500

If the rent is paid weekly or bi-monthly, then maybe the landlord would be willing to accept one or two weeks' rent. I assume it would depend on the landlord.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 460 ✭✭four18

Thanks, Maybe I didnt make it clear, Its a flat with rent paid weekly. I guessed I would need 1 months rent up front as deposit and a week or 2 rent up front too. Thanks all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭lainey316

I rent on a per week basis, but pay every 4 weeks - I paid a month's rent as deposit. When I moved in I also paid up to the next rent collection date in advance. I think this was 3 weeks at the time. Then from there on I paid my rent on the same day as every other tenant.

Even if it is charged weekly, the collection may be less frequent, fortnightly or 4 weekly. So depending on the landlord you may need the full 4 weeks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement