Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to open new bank account - which bank?

Options
  • 14-09-2010 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭

Received notification today that my local NIB branch (Ennis) is closing down and my account being transfered to Limerick. In itself that is fine, however i do need local access to a branch as i would occasionally need foreign drafts, cheques etc and i can't travel to Limerick during business hours to do this.

So does anyone have any recommendations on which bank to open a new account with? I've been really happy with NIB in Ennis - the staff are fantastic and i've rarely had to wait to be served (probably why they are closing:rolleyes:). Their internet banking is good, but not as good as what i would be used to with my Australian bank account. Also there are no fees on my account. I'll keep my main banking with NIB, but want the new bank to have decent internet banking and customer service (if that exists!) i think ennis has most of the major banks.

thanks,
    mel.b

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Hmm, no replies. Obviously a sad reflection of people's opinion of the banks in Ireland.

I've decided to go with Ulster bank as they offer Visa Debit and also the branch in Ennis is open Sat mornings which is perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

mel.b wrote: »
    Hmm, no replies. Obviously a sad reflection of people's opinion of the banks in Ireland.

I've decided to go with Ulster bank as they offer Visa Debit and also the branch in Ennis is open Sat mornings which is perfect.

Same here, who wants a bloody laser card anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Kennie1

I was with Ulster 2 years ago but found them unhelpful when it came to canceling DD's and internet banking was useless. Moved to the PTSB and found no problems and internet banking is second to none.

Kennie1 wrote: »
    I was with Ulster 2 years ago but found them unhelpful when it came to canceling DD's and internet banking was useless. Moved to the PTSB and found no problems and internet banking is second to none.

I found the exact opposite, must depend on the branches.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Kennie1

mcwhirter wrote: »
    I found the exact opposite, must depend on the branches.
    True... local branch is only as good as the staff working in them;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭shivkk06

i recently changed to ulster bank also find them to be very good the visa debit is grreat and internet banking is very good no hassle completeing any transactions on it

PTSB now offering visa debit

Advertisement