Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

lense advice * totally puzzled*

• 14-09-2010 6:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

hi

i have a canon 1000d but im looking to upgrade my lense , i take alot of photos in mondello and i find that my current lense (canon zoom lens ef 75-300mm 1 :4-5.6f) takes ages to focus and i cant get the clear sharp images i want .

i have a budget of around 500+

what sould i be looking for , i want something with a good zoom like what i have . and how do i know if a lense if good etc

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

Not sure if a new lens may be the answer to your problem but heres this anyways, http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/155727/art/canon/ef-70-300mm-f-4-5-6-is-us.html, rear focusing USM delivers fast, silent auto focus. Hope this is'nt the lens you already have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Have you tried manual focus yet ? You may well be surprised how it can improve your photos. Go on try it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭blackbird98

If you're not getting sharp images, is it a focussing problem, or a shutter speed problem? To get clear sharp images in the likes of Mondello you need a fairly fast shutter speed.

Using the widest aperture possible to get a shutter speed of 250th / 500th of a second, or more, depending on light and speed of vehicles.

Whenever I'm in mondello, if i'm shooting on a fast part of the track, I switch to manual focus, pre-focus on a particular part of the track and shoot when the vehicle enters to focus zone.

bear in mind that a wide aperture will give you shallow depth of field. you could also increase your ISO, which will up your shutter speed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 MrcValets

i see where you are coming from here are some examples , i can only really get good shots on bright sunny days , when its over cast i can seem to get the shot i want , a big problem for me is the focus being so slow

IMG_9305.jpg

IMG_9418.jpg

DSC_0136-1.jpg

DSC_0215-1-1.jpg

the 3rd and 4th pic where on a overcast day .

all advise welcome

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭blackbird98

do you use a monopod / tripod?

have a look at the metadata and see what your exposure settings are.

stick them up here and we'll have a look

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭goldseeker

I could sugest Canon EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM
    It is about 450euro from ebay.Or on adverts there is one for 400 euro.
    Chears

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Per the EXIF data your shutter speeds are 1/125,1/100,1/250,1/250. The first 2 photos are about as sharp as I would expect to see at that shutter speed.

This is a reasonable speed range for panning shots, but if you want absolute sharpness then

- shoot at the widest possible aperture ( lowest f/number)
    - increase the ISO to get a shutter speed in the 1/1000 sec range

I have a 70-300mm IS, you can see some pics I took with it here:

http://bit.ly/bfLnWR

(It is a great general purpose lens but I would prefer a wider aperture at the long end for sport photos. )
    When shooting sport I use Aperture priority, keep the lens wide open, and initially set the ISO to give a shutter speed to about 1/1000th. I continually monitor shutter speed. depending on light available I try to keep the shutter speed in the region of 1/1000th. If the speed drops below 1/500th I always go to a faster ISO. If I am at the max ISO then I put my camera away & light a fag. If the speed goes faster than 1/2000th I will reduce the ISO. This works better than shutter priority.

I also use a monopod quite a lot. You don't strictly need one, but I find it helps.

If you do not need to zoom as close as 300mm than I suggest you also look at the non-IS 70-200mm f/4 L lens, which is about the same price.

Finally, for panning shots I will use shutter priority and let the aperture vary. Generally I have found that between 1/125 and 1/250 is a good start here. If they are too blurry, go for a faster shutter speed, too sharp, a slower one.

I suggest you work on using faster shutter speeds before parting with your 500 quid!

Regards,

- FoxT

...I like #1 above - Nice one!

thanks for that great reply foxt .

what metering mode should i use also?

and here is a lense i was advised http://www.simplyelectronics.net/mainproduct.php?pid=646

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

Do a search on Simply Electronics before buying anything from them.

• Advertisement

I generally use evaluative metering. Centre-weighted is probably OK too.
    If there are very bright highlights ( the front of the car on #1 , or, in my case, shooting players in white kit on a sunny day) Then I will set the exposure compensation to -1/2 a stop, and keep an eye on the histogram to ensure no blown highlights.

Other settings
    - I always use 'Back-button AF' If the 1000D supports it, I recommend it. Basically you use a separate button to turn AF on & off. (Google it, otherwise I will be typing all night!) The shutter button has no impact on AF. It is a great feature because you can do stuff like
    *Prefocus on a certain spot then shoot away as your target approaches the spot.
    * Easier to fire up AF before you start shooting - gives the AF time to lock on the target. I prefer this to the 'press the shutter button half way' method
    * If somebody or something gets between you & the target then you can keep shooting but turn off the AF so the target is still in focus. This happens in soccer a lot, probably less so in motor sport.

- I enable all AF points, but I mostly aim the centre AF point at the subject.
    - I use AI servo. In this mode, if you are shooting a moving target the camera will focus first using the centre AF point ( assuming the target is on this point) and if the target moves, it will 'hand off' the AF to other points as required. I find this works well with practice. To practice with it, You can try this on static subjects & move the camera around

- I use continuous shooting mode. The 40D runs at about 6 frames per sec. At a soccer match I will generally shoot 400-1000 photos but end up with keeping only about 40-50.
    - I do not shoot RAW, only jpegs, because in RAW mode the frames per sec is much slower.

That's as far as I've got!

- FoxT

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Cook my sock

when did you get rid of the d60?
    If you still had that I use the 55-200 in mondello and it does the job.

when did you get rid of the d60?
    If you still had that I use the 55-200 in mondello and it does the job.

whos this?? got rid of it a while ago swapped my sister for her canon

also did a serch on simply electronics . i dunno a friend has spent over 6k with them and never had one days trouble

Advertisement