Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas to Advertise Handyman Biz - Donegal

• 14-09-2010 6:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Any inexpensive advertising ideas for a handyman business in Co. Donegal?

We are going to get decals for the van and put a sign out. We are starting out with basically NO funds for advertising, so it's going to be tough, I know. But can anybody give me any ideas?

Thanks for any help.:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭greeno

For a small fee advertise in the Dealer. It has a fairly large readership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭JohnDigital

See if you can put a notice up in any of the local hardware stores, I bet they are sick of people asking them how they fix their creaky floorboards/dripping tap/hang pictures etc and would be happy to recommend a handyman!

Small ad in the local papers, you need to be in regularly, people will only look for you when they need someone so budget for going in every other week. Negotiate with the papers, they will haggle if you are going to advertise more than once!

Place an ad on onlinetradesmen.ie or the likes (costs about €50 a quarter though).

Don't under estimate a well written door to door leaflet. Try to make it look professional, but not overly flash or people will think the service is expensive. You will be lucky to get a response of 3% or 4%, you need to drop a lot to get the phone ringing. Think about the time that you do this, i.e. the back to school week would not have been good as parents are too busy, same with Christmas, too busy and you will be ignored. Maybe deliver in advance of bank holiday weekends so the householders have time to discuss what they need done in the house. Carefully list the types of jobs you can do.

Ask recent clients to write up testimonials, and while you are at it ask them to recommend you to friends!

Sign out on the pavement while you are working on jobs is a good idea.

Setting up a website with photos of recent work and the above mentioned testimonials, supporting that with Google adwords.

Ad on adverts.ie and look to give advice in the DIY forum here on boards, with a link to your website in your signature and the area you are prepared to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 LilyBeans

Oh my word, THANK YOU for taking the time to reply. All very good ideas!

As for door to door advertising - are you talking about direct mailing? Any idea how that works? How do we obtain the addresses? Through the post office?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭JohnDigital

There are loads of companies that do door to door delivery, but some are better than others in terms of being trust worthy. Expect to pay between €50 to €130 per thousand houses that they deliver to depending on the quantity. Often the free newspapers offer the service of delivering flyers with their papers, so you could try there.

Advertisement