Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Air Corps Cadet - Interview

• 14-09-2010 7:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I've got an Interview for the Air Corps Cadetship on Thursday. The Fittness Test should be ok, and I have a fair idea what the Interview is all about, but I'm just wondering are if anyone has and tips going into it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 324 ✭✭Klunk001

Yes, Wear a suit. I've heard all sorts of stories of people arriving in runners and tracksuits. Not good, not good at all. Good luck with your interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Klunk001 wrote: »
    Yes, Wear a suit. I've heard all sorts of stories of people arriving in runners and tracksuits. Not good, not good at all. Good luck with your interview.

Lord above. Makes you wonder if they're actually serious about their careers. I'd imagine putting on a suit would be the first thing you do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Hi there,
    Be careful not to go in slobbering about being a pilot, above all, because that's not what they want to hear, as it shows that you do not understand what the career is about, which is to be an Commissioned Officer first and then a pilot. You exist to serve the State, not clock up hours for a civvy job(which is a happy coincidence, all the same;)).If you go in gushing like a 14-year old, that's how you will be treated.They want to interview a potential leader, potentially in charge of expensive aircraft and the crew therein, who has a responsible attitude. If you sound like a reggie-spotter, you're doomed. Air Corps Officers spend a lot of their career behind desks, even if they are pilots, compared to civvy pilots.You have to show that you have development potential, preferably with some sporting background, especially in a team environment.
    Do some interview practise beforehand.
    regards
    Stovepipe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭kirving

Thanks for the advice guys, very much appreciated!

I'll be wearing a suit alright! Being totally honest, I know there's people going for it that know a good bit more about the actual flying bit. I haven't even done a flying lesson, but I do know a good bit about it. I'm going into third year of a Mechanical Engineering degree, so hopefully that will help a little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I know there's people going for it that know a good bit more about the actual flying bit. I haven't even done a flying lesson, but I do know a good bit about it.

The Defence Forces love nothing better than to have a blank canvas to work on, don't let the fact that you've no flying experience knock your confidence.
    I'm going into third year of a Mechanical Engineering degree, so hopefully that will help a little.

If the A/C route doesn't work out for you, you could/should look at a career as a commissioned officer in the Engineer Corps. There is a good articule on engineer officers in the current An Cosantoir.

Best of luck with the interview all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭kirving

Thanks for that Makikomi!

Advertisement