Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are Cruisers hard to filter traffic in ?

• 14-09-2010 7:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭

Just thinking about buying a new bike next year and Im leaning towards a cruiser, probably aSuzuki Marauder or Yamaha Dragstar. ATM I am on a 125 scooter which I feel is grand for the type of driving i do, mainly city center.

But Im thinking that a cruiser may not be an ideal bike to have if it is mostly used for city driving. ATM the seat position on the scooter is quite high up so its a very good vantage point for observing pedestrians. But a cruiser seems significantly lower, are you very limited in what you can see at that height?

Also the handle bars appear wide too, do are cruiser drivers typically restricted when trying to filter between stationery traffic because of this or is it really a non-problem?

Any other input on these two types of cruisers or other suggestions most welcome :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

What size cruiser are you getting? I used them in traffic, a scooter is probably better, but not much. You might find one gap a week that the scooter would fit through.
    I'd definitely upgrade, more respect with a real bike ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

The cruiser being a 4 stroke will give you a little more torque, so you won't be downshifting so often when you see a gap.

Your turning circle won't be as good on the cruiser, but your probably not a courier so that shouldn't really be a deciding factor.

As for choosing one to get more respect from ''with real bike", don't bother with that attitude and you'll be fine with either the scooter or cruiser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Im thinking a learner legal 600cc. I've had my 125cc a few years now but lately find it doesn't have the extra speed and acceleration I now need but didn't 3 years ago when I was inexperienced.

The one thing I love about scooter is they can get through tight gaps so you're at the top of the traffic lights with an empty road waiting ahead. It's one of the pleasures of driving a bike for me.

Any ideas whats the approx width measurement of a Cruisers handlebars or mirrors? I must measure my scooter tomorrow to compare, probably not all that much difference Im thinking, maybe a foot extra or so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

RATM wrote: »
    Im thinking a learner legal 600cc. I've had my 125cc a few years now but lately find it doesn't have the extra speed and acceleration I now need but didn't 3 years ago when I was inexperienced.

The one thing I love about scooter is they can get through tight gaps so you're at the top of the traffic lights with an empty road waiting ahead. It's one of the pleasures of driving a bike for me.

Any ideas whats the approx width measurement of a Cruisers handlebars or mirrors? I must measure my scooter tomorrow to compare, probably not all that much difference Im thinking, maybe a foot extra or so?

depends on the bike/ handlebars..

Small cruisers aren't really a problem filtering. They aren't that wide. I had a yamaha roadstar 1600 last year, now that presented some filtering difficulties!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

For easy filtering you need wide bars, a high seat and a bright headlamp! I favour the supermoto style and would reckon any cruiser to be tougher to maneouver through traffic. How many couriers do you see on cruisers? Not many.

'cptr

Advertisement