Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Did anyone hear Matt Coopers last word this evening?

• 14-09-2010 7:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭

Never mind Fianna Gael bringing politics to an all time low with their slander of Brian Cowen and his piss up last night Matt Cooper brought radio to an all time low this evening.

I mean two and a half hours of constant moaning about Brian Cowen and his supposedly drinking session last night and his radio interview this morn ( to be quite honest sounded like he had a cold)

Every guest he had on he had to ask their opinion, seemed like he went out of his way to drag up dirt on Cowen, even had a go and one interviewee who was on the lash with Brian ... WHO CARES!

Basically said that he was a drunk and an alco just because he had few drinks with his work mates and not fit to run the country and didnt care about the country if he turns up for work with a hangover ( which has been stongly denied)
    Numerous times I have been listening to Today FM when eaither Mareid on the Ray Darcy or Anne from the Ray Foley show have openly said they were out the night before and were a bit worse for wear!!!

Matt Coopper Cop on!!!!!!! You were clearly stuck for news this eve! I am a long time listner of Today FM, am stuck in the car all day and listen to all the shows ( Ray Darcy was no better this morn when the news broke but we all know he is a Finna Gael supporter anyway by the way he goes on)

Serioulsy Today FM please stop going on and on and on and on about the government and state of the economy ....... liven up a little and show some positivity for a change! untill then im off to Spin1038 and my mp3 player on my phone when reception of Spin is gone,

Rant over :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Mairead Farrell doesn't run the country!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Yeah Matt! Doesn't matter if there's a dipso at the wheel as the country goes down the tubes. Nothing to see here. Go talk about something important!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭poppers

( Ray Darcy was no better this morn when the news broke but we all know he is a Finna Gael supporter anyway by the way he goes on)

Dont think he's a FG man didnt he say he'd leave the country if Enda became Taoiseach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

Brian Cowen is nothing short of a legend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭meathgal2010

efb wrote: »
    Mairead Farrell doesn't run the country!!!!

She would prob do a better job :D but Cowen is not unfit to run a country just because he had a few drinks ..........unfit for a lot more important reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

Never mind Fianna Gael bringing politics to an all time low with their slander of Brian Cowen and his piss up last night Matt Cooper brought radio to an all time low this evening.

I mean two and a half hours of constant moaning about Brian Cowen and his supposedly drinking session last night and his radio interview this morn ( to be quite honest sounded like he had a cold)

Every guest he had on he had to ask their opinion, seemed like he went out of his way to drag up dirt on Cowen, even had a go and one interviewee who was on the lash with Brian ... WHO CARES!

Basically said that he was a drunk and an alco just because he had few drinks with his work mates and not fit to run the country and didnt care about the country if he turns up for work with a hangover ( which has been stongly denied)
    Numerous times I have been listening to Today FM when eaither Mareid on the Ray Darcy or Anne from the Ray Foley show have openly said they were out the night before and were a bit worse for wear!!!

Matt Coopper Cop on!!!!!!! You were clearly stuck for news this eve! I am a long time listner of Today FM, am stuck in the car all day and listen to all the shows ( Ray Darcy was no better this morn when the news broke but we all know he is a Finna Gael supporter anyway by the way he goes on)

Serioulsy Today FM please stop going on and on and on and on about the government and state of the economy ....... liven up a little and show some positivity for a change! untill then im off to Spin1038 and my mp3 player on my phone when reception of Spin is gone,

Mary Wallace = Meathgal2010?

Barname wrote: »
    Mary Wallace = Meathgal2010?

Nope!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Was a bit over the top all right from Matt tonight. To be honest I didnt think that the presenter from RTE sounded to great either!

Did not sound to bad if you ask me but hey no point in ruining a good news story for the sake of the truth.

The bigger issue here is the state of the Irish Media and it ability to report any old crap in a wee wee poor format

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭onway

I was always a fan of 'The Last Word' but it has turned into such a depressing recession based show that I have stopped listening.......Matt is in danger of turning into Joe Duffy he's so negative about everything.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭daltonm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

What I heard of Matt Cooper was an honest effort to get to the bottom of Cowen's ability to run the country. Nothing more and nothing less.

I ask you this.... What if you were going in for an operation and you knew the surgeon had been up drinking till 4 in the morning? Brian Cowen is our surgeon at the minute and his decisions will either kill this country or save it. P'ssing the night away won't help!

If Mairaid was running the country then I would say the same about her! I just can't believe after all that has happened in the country, deluded people are still out there defending Cowen. It's very soul destroying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I have to say I admire Matt Coopers line of questioning in the vast majority of cases.

All too often the RTE commentators, be they TV or radio, are criticized because of their lack of a hard questioning line on our government officials.

Matt Cooper asks the very hard questions and does not give them the easy ride the get elsewhere.

Koloman wrote: »
    What I heard of Matt Cooper was an honest effort to get to the bottom of Cowen's ability to run the country. Nothing more and nothing less.

I ask you this.... What if you were going in for an operation and you knew the surgeon had been up drinking till 4 in the morning? Brian Cowen is our surgeon at the minute and his decisions will either kill this country or save it. P'ssing the night away won't help!

If Mairaid was running the country then I would say the same about her!

Eh slight over exageration. Cowen can't fix the country in one whole morning hungover or not hungover. Its not unusual for collegues to go out for drinks and let their hair down.

The way I look at it is at least he was pumping money into the economy and into pubs who need the custom :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭baztard

He asks hard questions, which is great to hear, but he doesn't remain impartial. He came out with some tabloid style schit stirring soundbytes when talking to the FF press officer: Last night people were watching 'Freefall: the night the banks failed' then shouts and you were out on the piss!

...like the people were being hurt at that very moment, while their meant to be vigilant protecters were slacking off. A load of schite jouralism I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Derryleigh

Journalists getting a horn over this story. Ones ability to do a good interview on radio is not a measure of ones ability to run the country. If he did a cracker of an interview fully sober, would that mean we would be going around all day saying what a great leader he is.

It would be a problem if he had been drunk all day yesterday or in the Dail chamber. But a hangover doing a routine interview is nothing to get excited about.

And why did we need Coveney to tell us what we all suspected. Does he think we are so thick that he was only person in Ireland who thought that Cowen was hungover. He needs twittering lessons from Dan Boyle

Derryleigh wrote: »
    If he did a cracker of an interview fully sober, would that mean we would be going around all day saying what a great leader he is.

Yes! If he did a cracker of an interview as you say then the impression would be given that this man knows what he is doing and we would have confidence in him.

Giving a confident and coherent interview is half the battle when the country's reputation is on the line.

People complain that politicians are more concerned about style over substance. Cowen has neither! He has let the country down when headlines go around the world about the drunken Irish Prime Minister. We needed this shambles today like a hole in the head!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭GSF

Cant believe people are giving Cooper stick for not covering up for Cowen. Its this kind of hiding of the truth that has got the country up the creek without a paddle.

When Bertie was talking crap, the people who challenged him were derided and told to go off and commit suicide. And now we are supposed to pretend that its normal to have a drunk as prime minister........... unbelievable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭flutered

The way I look at it is at least he was pumping money into the economy and into pubs who need the custom :p[/QUOTE]

methinks he never paid for one drink in that hotel, who paid for all them drivers security personell, etc etc, you and me girl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

All Cowen needed to do was admit he had a hangover. It would have stopped the "storm in a tea cup" as everyone is calling it. Matt Cooper had guests in studio who were in the same room as him last night.

Matt tried his best to get a proper answer from some FF heads who kept spinning the same crap lines. Matt obviously got frustrated, the same as myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Cowen & his cronies have brought politics to an all-time low.

A cold that mysteriously disappeared during the day ? Lemsip must be great!

Every guest he had on he had to ask their opinion, seemed like he went out of his way to drag up dirt on Cowen

I will agree with the fact that there is plenty of more important dirt to drag up on Cowen, like the fact that he helped his colleague Ahern make **** of the economy when he was Minister for Finance.

However Cowen's claim this evening of the "new low in Irish politics" is a complete joke.......O'Dea did that by claiming that a rival candidate was running a brothel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

He took Cooper-Flynn back into the fold, that was a new low in politics at the time.

The man is useless, get him out, get FF out.

He took Cooper-Flynn back into the fold, that was a new low in politics at the time.

The man is useless, get him out, get FF out.

The other day they were talking about getting the other "stray" TD's back into the FF fold.

They are getting desperate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Matt Cooper is a drone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Matt Coopper Cop on!!!!!!! You were clearly stuck for news this eve!

I was working in a radio newsroom today... and believe me... If Matt Cooper was stuck for news this evening, he was FAR from the only one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

Bard wrote: »
    I was working in a radio newsroom today... and believe me... If Matt Cooper was stuck for news this evening, he was FAR from the only one!

dont wait on the wire...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

Matt Cooper is without a shadow of doubt one of the best journo / current affairs presenters in the country, he leaves mary wilson, pat kenny, george hook, sean o rourke etc in his wake. His line of questioning of politicians is always aggressive but fair and so it should be. All too often, his peers in rte and elsewhere fail to pin politicians down and as a result subject their audience to the usual bland political diatribe that is evasive at best and insulting at worst. Yes cooper was animated in his lline of questioning yesterday but he generally succeeds in mirroring my own frustrations with politicians and generally asks the correct questions in the correct tone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Btr

Heybaby I'm afraid I'd have to disagree. Granted I thought his interviews with Tony Blair was excellent but too often Cooper takes a side in the story and this compromises his integrity. A real journalist should report the news and analyse it , not be part of it ie gonzo journalism. Like it or not Sean ORourke does it best and you'll never work out his personal views from listening to him. Cooper on the other hand tends to nail his colours to the mast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

that's a very good point btr (about not being able to work out who S O'R votes for) but I have to say about Matt - he's very good at playing devils advocate. you'll hear him interview two guests on a topic, and be totally anti-topic with the pro guest and totally pro-topic with the anti guest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

GSF wrote: »
    Cant believe people are giving Cooper stick for not covering up for Cowen. Its this kind of hiding of the truth that has got the country up the creek without a paddle.

When Bertie was talking crap, the people who challenged him were derided and told to go off and commit suicide. And now we are supposed to pretend that its normal to have a drunk as prime minister........... unbelievable.

Saying someone is a drunk implies that they have a problem with alcohol. Where's the proof that Cowen is an alcoholic?

Saying stuff like that on boards leaves the website open to libel action.

Whether you like Cowen or not as leader of this country, it's not fair to make unfounded statements about a man's character and personal life.

• Advertisement
Advertisement