Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

free party scene in cork!

Options
  • 14-09-2010 7:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Rumour has it theres a pretty good underground dance scene in cork. im looking to find out whether its true or not. I'm from devon where the party scene is big, i moved to ireland on saturday. If it's all as secret as it is in devon i know this is gonna be a bit of a long shot...:D

Comments

:eek: first I heard of it, I know there was one of two beach parties years back as a lad I used to work with was a DJ, that was a good few years ago though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Around 10 - 12 years ago there used to be savage warehouse party's up in the woods in Glanmire. They were unreal.

The dance scene in Cork died a death years ago. We had Sir Henry's (have a google off it) and the Foundry (my personal favourite). There were loads of party's, 2 dance radio stations (pirates) etc etc....

The scene just is not there anymore - I know that Fish go deep is still going with Greg and Shane but the scene is nowhere like it was before, bloody shame.

Your best bet on figuring out if there is any underground scene in Cork/Ireland is to get yourself on the Electronic Music & DJ'ing forum and see what they have to say.

Take all my advice with a pinch of salt - I am an old and grey 33 year old now!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭themonboys

The only underground gigs I've heard of in the last few years have been privately run ones, where only friends of the organizer would know about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

murphym7 wrote: »

The dance scene in Cork died a death years ago. We had Sir Henry's (have a google off it) and the Foundry (my personal favourite). There were loads of party's, 2 dance radio stations (pirates) etc etc....

The scene just is not there anymore - I know that Fish go deep is still going with Greg and Shane but the scene is nowhere like it was before, bloody shame.

I beg to differ. I actually think the music scene in Cork is going through something of a rebirth. The Pav has consistently good Saturdays, be it Fishgodeep, or Bastardo Electrico or one of their once offs. The Savoy, though I despise the place, are geting better and better guests with DJ Shadow there in a few weeks, and Laurent garnier there recently enough (less said about Romanthony the better).

Then you have Roundy Rhythms every saturday at the roundy, the new music policy in An Realt Dearg, The Slate, The Vineyard leaves you with plenty choice. I think there may even be a few new Drum N Bass nights started(ing).

And when you consider the Southern Soul And Disco Festival returns in June 2011, I woiuld say the scene is not just healthy at the moment, but thriving.

Of course it is easy to hark back to the days of yore when Henrys was a staple every Saturday, Fry up in Zoes on Friday and some mid week nuttery at Mor Disco. Complemented by Telefunkin, Imramma, Yo latino, Soulsides (never was a fan of the half moon actually). Christ the late 90s were incredible.

As for a free party scene, I think that exists more in West Cork/south Kerry than it does in the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Clobo

So my best is club nights i gather from what every ones said? i'll get on the case ;)

• Advertisement

Indeed, but the major problem with the club scene in Cork, and it was ever so, is that closing time is fecking 2am. Which is such a load of bollocks I do not even know where to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

gimmick wrote: »
    I beg to differ. I actually think the music scene in Cork is going through something of a rebirth. The Pav has consistently good Saturdays, be it Fishgodeep, or Bastardo Electrico or one of their once offs. The Savoy, though I despise the place, are geting better and better guests with DJ Shadow there in a few weeks, and Laurent garnier there recently enough (less said about Romanthony the better).

Then you have Roundy Rhythms every saturday at the roundy, the new music policy in An Realt Dearg, The Slate, The Vineyard leaves you with plenty choice. I think there may even be a few new Drum N Bass nights started(ing).

And when you consider the Southern Soul And Disco Festival returns in June 2011, I woiuld say the scene is not just healthy at the moment, but thriving.

Of course it is easy to hark back to the days of yore when Henrys was a staple every Saturday, Fry up in Zoes on Friday and some mid week nuttery at Mor Disco. Complemented by Telefunkin, Imramma, Yo latino, Soulsides (never was a fan of the half moon actually). Christ the late 90s were incredible.

As for a free party scene, I think that exists more in West Cork/south Kerry than it does in the city.

I mentioned Fish go deep, 1 club with regular dance nights.
    The Roundy, Slate, Vineyard and An Realt Dearg are pubs as you know, not a club scene.
    Southern soul disco is nearly a year away.
    Irregular guests in the Savoy does not make it dance club.
    Take a look at Cork dance scene in its prime (excluding the many pubs that had live DJ's every weekend, which were many):
    Foundry
    Zoe's
    Henrys
    Half moon
    Elroys

Each of these clubs had dance every week, and most had dance night 2/3 times a week.

Compared to what is there now, the scene has died a death. I am not saying its gone completely, just nothing close to what to was. Maybe there is a rebirth happening, but lets not get carried away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭themonboys

Clobo wrote: »
    So my best is club nights i gather from what every ones said? i'll get on the case ;)

Yip and the Pav is the first port of call. Steve G has done a great job with the place.

I mentioned Fish go deep, 1 club with regular dance nights.
    The Roundy, Slate, Vineyard and An Realt Dearg are pubs as you know, not a club scene.

They are pubs with late licenses. Very little diffeence IMO.
    Foundry
    Zoe's
    Henrys
    Half moon
    Elroys

I would never consider The Foundry in the same breath as Henrys. It was more a place people went to score with someone than it was for the music.

I worked in Zoes, and besides Fry Up and Mor Disco , it was a place where knackers who could not get in anywhere else would go to hear Beachball and For An Angel. A younger sidetrax is all it was.

What was in Elroys? I remember they had something on Sundays for a very brief period.
    Compared to what is there now, the scene has died a death. I am not saying its gone completely, just nothing close to what to was. Maybe there is a rebirth happening, but lets not get carried away.

I am not getting carried away, I just think the scene is a lot brighter now that what iot was 5-6 years ago, when there was almost nothing happening. Nothing will ever compare to the amount of quality choice was around in the late 90s, as I said above. But keep going as it is at the moment, there is no reason why it can not challenge...........

A younger sidetrax is all it was.

Sidetrax was good craic :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Clobo

any one know any thing about tir na gcasta?? just spent a while trawling the internet...this is the only sound system i've found. again im sure its underground so i know im not gonna get any details on the web...just wandering if any one knows if they're still about in this area????

• Registered Users Posts: 7,242 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Clobo wrote: »
    Rumour has it theres a pretty good underground dance scene in cork. im looking to find out whether its true or not. I'm from devon where the party scene is big, i moved to ireland on saturday. If it's all as secret as it is in devon i know this is gonna be a bit of a long shot...:D

What a weird coincidence. I just moved back to Cork from Devon last week (Barnstaple). I was only there for 6 months though and I wasn't lucky enough to find any random parties there.

As someone else has mentioned the scene in Cork isn't what it used to be. You should probably head along to Electric Underground in the Liquid Lounge and get talking to people there. I've had a few random nights after sessions in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

The electro scene is often thrown into the same genre as Knacker feckin music ><! as theres not a large enough crowd.

I know of this amazing club friends of mine from Dublin go to which has proper re-mixes n such but as for free partys...Man I would love too but bleh..cant find them ><

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Well there's always raves and house parties going on all over the country, maybe search on facebook for rave crews and get updates on events that way. How do you define dance? It can mean very different things to different people! The electric underground organize fantastic gigs and bring really great underground acts (electronica/electro/techno/hiphop etc) over but they're not free. The autumn and winter are great for gigs in cork, in the next month or two Luke Slater, Dj Shadow and Headhunter are all playing, I'll be at all of them :D Sundays in an realt Dearg are good, the DJ's do a good mix of hip hop, funk, electro etc and it starts early in the day. There used to be a good drum and base scene here a few years ago, a few french guys were organizing lots of mental gigs but I think those days are gone now?? Tir na Gcaiste are just a rave crew AFAIK, and not a very good one I don't think. There's always loads fo savage nights on the beach in Myrtleville during the summer, usually there's a beach party after any gigs on in the Pine Lodge so keep and eye out there. As with anything underground you've got to know people to hear about what's going on, otherwise keep your eye's peeled in the English Market etc for posters. Pity Pluggd's gone that was handy for getting gigs listings. :(

The Savoy, though I despise the place, are geting better and better guests with DJ Shadow there in a few weeks, and Laurent garnier there recently enough (less said about Romanthony the better).

WTF!! I totally missed that, balls! Ya the Savoy is a kip and makes me want to kill people but dammit they've gotten some good acts in over the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

Sapsorrow wrote: »
    Pity Pluggd's gone that was handy for getting gigs listings. :(

Pluggd is after re-opening now. Its moved to the Triskel on caroline street.:)

Pluggd is after re-opening now. Its moved to the Triskel on caroline street.:)

Yay! That's great news, I'm delighted for them (and us)!

Advertisement