Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lovely Lovely Gadgets - Ballistic Calculators?

Options
  • 14-09-2010 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭

Ballistic Calculators?

I don't know if this has been done already, but bearing in mind more recent tech developments and having been reading a couple of recent threads, I thought I'd start a couple of new threads specifically related to all those lovely and oh so useful gadgets and gizmos that we all want!

If any of the shooters out there in boards.ie-land have any recommendations, advice, thoughts, etc etc on Ballistic Calculators, maybe you could post them here for everyones joy and delectation.

- What Ballistic Calculator do you use?
    - Where did you get it?
    - How much did it cost?
    - What platform does it use - e.g. Iphone, BlackBerry, PC, Watch, etc?
    - What do you like about it?
    - What do you dislike about it?
    - What Ballistic Calculator do your mates use?

plus

- How useful is it really, in practice?
    - And how often do you use it?

That kind of info, and anything else you feel is relevant, would be really great.

cool.gif dC

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I have used a few and find some are too fussy. They want details only the manufacturer could possibly supply or info that i simply do not know how to provide. I have tried and kept with this one. Its quite simplistic, but keeps me within (at max) 1 MOA on my desired height. I never use a handheld or mobile version.

The best BC you will have is trigger time. I find even if you provide all and accurate details that the real world application is still not the exact same as the BC. For that reason i always go out, fire at the different ranges and record my MOA. Drop charts, you cannot beat them.

PS - I answered all 3 of your threads, do i win a prize. :)
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

PS - I answered all 3 of your threads, do i win a prize

Yes....yes, you do!
    A years supply of coffee courtesy of the MNSCI. Hurrah!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

sorry if im going of topic but its not worthy of its own thread, all calculators want a bc, whats the bc of a 22 mag, or is it down to to round being used :o

dCorbus wrote: »
    Yes....yes, you do!
    A years supply of coffee courtesy of the MNSCI. Hurrah!:D

Ah, brilliant ........ :):cool: ..........

/mumble: Where is the fecking delete post button, waste my bloody time and no prize. /mumble
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

sorry if im going of topic

You are!:p But not to worry!:D
    whats the bc of a 22 mag, or is it down to to round being used

AFAIK (and I stand to be corrected on this one) but it is down to the actual bullet being used, for example, for the Hornady .22WMR 30gr VMax the manufacturers stated BC is 0.095 http://www.hornady.com/store/22-WMR-30gr-VMAX/

Most, if not all, manufacturers will publish the BC for each particular bullet. How accurate this figure is may be debateable, but it should be there or there abouts, and that's usually the info you'll need for the Calculator.

Not 100% au fait with these ballistic calculators myself, so if this needs correction, fire away!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

- What Ballistic Calculator do you use?

Exbal.
    - Where did you get it?

Off a very nice fella I know.
    - How much did it cost?

:D
    - What platform does it use - e.g. Iphone, BlackBerry, PC, Watch, etc?

Uhm, one of those palm held jobbies...
    - What do you like about it?

I've not really used it yet.
    - What do you dislike about it?

Programme is good, palm held jobbies battery doesn't last long.
    - What Ballistic Calculator do your mates use?

Look, this isn't funny anymore :mad:
    - How useful is it really, in practice?

I know of guys who use them and swear by them. If you have the time to ponder the shot, they'll be useful, if not...
    - And how often do you use it?

Not often, same reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

A little light reading
    Mist important part of BC is how the round slips through the air
    it can be calculated mathematically if you have nothing better to do. or you can let the manufactures of the rounds tell ya ;)

Estimating the Ballistic Coefficient of Jacketed and Cast bullets

The best method of determining the ballistic coefficient of any projectile is to physically measure the amount of velocity reduction over a carefully measured distance. Since that is not always possible, some means other than an educated guess is needed to estimate a reasonably accurate ballistics and trajectory package.

The Ballistic Coefficient of tangential ogive jacketed bullets traveling at velocities above the speed of sound can be calculated to a reasonable degree of accuracy if careful measurements are made to determine the actual radius curve of the nose portion and the boat tail (if any) dimensions.

Most ballistic calculators require that the bullet be laid upon a chart of different profiles(such as the Coxe-Bugless Chart) in order to find a curve that most closely matches the curve of the ogive of the bullet. However this method is not nearly as accurate as a precision measurement.

Close measurement of the distance from the start of the tangential ogival curve to the foremost part of the nose, along with a measurement of the diameter of the tip and the diameter of the bullet can, by a mathematical formula, provide an exact value for the radius of the curve of the bullet ogive. This value, divided by the diameter of the bullet returns the "Caliber of the Ogive". From this value, the "Coefficient of Form" or "form factor" of the bullet may be calculated. Applying a formula containing the measurements of the boat-tail reduces the form factor in proportion to those measurements. After the form factor is determined, it is divided into the weight of the bullet (in pounds) and the resulting value is divided by the square of the diameter of the bullet, thus calculating the ballistic coefficient of that bullet for the G1 Drag table.

Possibly the most difficult part of the procedures is that of measuring the length of the nose, as it is quite hard to determine exactly where the main body ends and the curve of the radius starts. One method that works well is to set and lock a caliper tool to 0.001" less than the diameter of the body of the bullet, then slide the calipers up the bullet nose, toward the bullet body, until the movement is stopped, then carefully mark that spot. It will be very close to the point where the bullet body ends and becomes the start of the bullet nose

Most data is available for centrefire only though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭declan1980

i use jbm.com
    i like it because it has the bullet bc's in its library.
    it gives precise information for the load you enter.
    i find it to be very accurate for both drop and drift.
    i tend to use the simplified trajectory version, the other versions have too many inputs
    there's nothing i don't like about it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

I use BigGameInfo and find it to be very good. BUT you must check and verify that the data given is correct. The only way to do that is to go to the range and see that the numbers match up with the data given.
    Then you will have your drop chart and that combined with a range finder you will always be on target.

I also have Exbal running on a Pocket PC but I have yet to use it "in the field".

But I did see it all in action last week where my friend with his 300 winmag centre hit a 10" target @550y with his rifle that was zeroed @100y. He got the wind speed, 9-12mph meter reading, just dialed in the correct data provided from Exbal on the scope and bang ..................................ding went the metal plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

clivej wrote: »
    I use BigGameInfo and find it to be very good. BUT you must check and verify that the data given is correct. The only way to do that is to go to the range and see that the numbers match up with the data given.
    Then you will have your drop chart and that combined with a range finder you will always be on target.

I also have Exbal running on a Pocket PC but I have yet to use it "in the field".

But I did see it all in action last week where my friend with his 300 winmag centre hit a 10" target @550y with his rifle that was zeroed @100y. He got the wind speed, 9-12mph meter reading, just dialed in the correct data provided from Exbal on the scope and bang ..................................ding went the metal plate.

who is that man... CliveJ.....?
    I would like to meet this man...

• Advertisement

dwighet wrote: »

i met him one day and he would not even say hello to me!

dwighet wrote: »

Just a sick/ill good friend.

i met him one day and he would not even say hello to me!

He saw you first:rolleyes: ???

clivej wrote: »
    Just a sick/ill good friend.

He saw you first:rolleyes:

Well if "he did" h could have held out the olive branch ;)

Well if "he did" h could have held out the olive branch ;)

He saw you first:rolleyes:???

Sorry twas a question.

Edit made..................?

I use exbal/nightforce ballistics software and a pocket pc.....
    It takes a bit of tweaking to get it spot on.....
    But works well.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

25 years of experience .works really well

jwshooter wrote: »
    Cant buy that from Aldi....
    Thats for sure..

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

jwshooter wrote: »
    Yeah, but what do you do about rounds going who-knows-where downrange before you get that 25 years under your belt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭BELOWaverageIQ

Sparks wrote: »
    Yeah, but what do you do about rounds going who-knows-where downrange before you get that 25 years under your belt?

That's simple Sparks, you never take a shot without a propper backstop!
    That's the main difference between shooting on a range and field work I suppose.

I use the Iphone Ballistic FTE eddition. Works well as a very good guide but needs tweaking to suite each individual rifle ( barrel length, rate of twist, etc).
    If you put in the time to input the propper data it's very accurate.

Think it cost about €17??? can't remember from the Itunes store and ust it on the iPhone.

Very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

That's simple Sparks, you never take a shot without a propper backstop!
    That's the main difference between shooting on a range and field work I suppose.
    I would have thought that the main difference was that on the range you can build the range so that those without ballistic calculators or 25 years experience can't accidentally put a round over the backstop and into a town three miles away.

In the field, unless every single thing you shoot has the decency to get between you and a nearby mountain, you don't have that option.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

I would have thought that the main difference was that on the range you can build the range so that those without ballistic calculators or 25 years experience can't accidentally put a round over the backstop and into a town three miles away.

In the field, unless every single thing you shoot has the decency to get between you and a nearby mountain, you don't have that option.

i do agree with you hear sparks .

there is some lads with high power rifles , that sound not be let use them any where other than a recognised range and then under the supervision of some one like myself .

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

I use a Hawke Ballistic Calculator which can be downloaded free. It's calibrated for their own multiple aimpoint recticles but would be useful as guidance for other scopes. It wouldn't do for long range target shooting (I had a gov't issue gadget with very loud acoustics back in the day for that job) but at hunting distances it's fine. Given the different POI of different brands of ammo in a particular rifle, putting shots on paper is the only way but the calculator will get you close enough to start. What I found useful is that for a chosen zero it will give both the distance where the bullet passes upward through the line of sight and the zero range where it drops below and all other points from the muzzle on out. For someone new to shooting (or using a new calibre) it is interesting to see the trajectory on the graph.

I hear what you are saying sparks.
    When I started shooting there were only a few ranges in the cities that nobody knew about at the time/or had access to.

Nowadays it would seem like a good idea to have to spend the first few hundred rounds or so on a range.

I started with a shotgun so 3 mile towns away were not a major concern.
    However I accept that some rifles ranges are far in excess of a humble shotty.

I do believe that learning to shoot on a range is a good idea, and then moving into the field, however I would be very cautious about this sentiment as many would like their to be "NO" hunting or shooting in the field in Ireland.

There is only so much one can learn on the range for the field. Just like driving off road requires different skills than on road. Shooting in the field can not be done sitting at a bench coffee in hand and cigarete in other :D

The most important part is a common sense approach to field shooting "although" Common sense is not that common ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

:D

Not a problem here.

However I accept that some rifles ranges are far in excess of a humble shotty.

Would you mind letting me know which rifle cannot shoot further than a shotgun. Or am i taking you up wrong from the wording of the sentence?

ezridax wrote: »
    Would you mind letting me know which rifle cannot shoot further than a shotgun. Or am i taking you up wrong from the wording of the sentence?

I think its a riddle of some sort Ez....;)

Would you mind letting me know which rifle cannot shoot further than a shotgun

One of sparks' aforementioned 10m pellet guns!:D:D:D;)

I said rifle, not pellet gun. :D:p

(God i cannot wait to see the s**t storm that sentence causes.)

I said rifle, not pellet gun

OMG, oh no you didn't!;):D

That's us banned for life so!;):D

"And, lo, it came to pass that the wrathful Sparky descendeth from yon Mount of Mod - for He was not best pleased - and, yea, verily how Lord Sparky doth smite the unbelievers and casteth forth unto the blasted heath of fiery infraction the damn-ed pellet-gun heathens."

So endeth the lesson!

• Advertisement

ezridax wrote: »

.22lr effective range is a bit more than a 12g alphamax 4

some rifles effective range is FAR in excess of this effective range of a .22lr or a 12g!

hopefully that is explained simply enough.

If a person is used to a 12g shooting a .300wsm or larger is a horse of a different colour

I apologize for not making a more detailed post, i was very busy in work today

Advertisement