Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lovely Lovely Gadgets - Ballistic Calculators?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

hopefully that is explained simply enough

I don't think you quite get my point. You first said .................
    However I accept that some rifles ranges are far in excess of a humble shotty

............. then you explain that, while marginal, a .22lr (being one of the lowest caliber rifles) still shoots further than a shotgun.
    .22lr effective range is a bit more than a 12g alphamax 4

some rifles effective range is FAR in excess of this effective range of a .22lr or a 12g

I know some rifles have a far more effective range than a .22lr or shotgun. Alot do. However previously you made no mention of effective range, however that point is moot as the .22lr is still better at a longer ranges than a shotgun. So my question to you was which rifle has less (effective) range than a shotgun? Your previous answer was to a question not asked.
    dCorbus wrote:
    "And, lo, it came to pass that the wrathful Sparky descendeth from yon Mount of Mod - for He was not best pleased - and, yea, verily how Lord Sparky doth smite the unbelievers and casteth forth unto the blasted heath of fiery infraction the damn-ed pellet-gun heathens."

So endeth the lesson!

To put it simply, Sparks mad - ezridax in the s**t. :eek::P
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

.22lr effective range is a bit more than a 12g alphamax 4

some rifles effective range is FAR in excess of this effective range of a .22lr or a 12g!

hopefully that is explained simply enough.

If a person is used to a 12g shooting a .300wsm or larger is a horse of a different colour

I apologize for not making a more detailed post, i was very busy in work today

apology accepted...
    still gobbledy gook though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

dwighet wrote: »
    apology accepted...
    still gobbledy gook though...

Wrecked tired Dwighet
    50 hours in 4 days with 16 hours sleep 4 nights combined.

Tis lucky I can still type!

Thankfully off tomorrow :D Not back in until Sunday
    Maybe tomorrow after a good night sleep my posts will be on a par with Chuck Hawkes ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

Wrecked tired Dwighet

Maybe tomorrow after a good night sleep my posts will be on a par with Chuck Hawkes ;)

Then why bother posting?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Wrecked tired Dwighet

patsat wrote: »
    Then why bother posting?

"If ye can't say nothing then say nothing at all".

A quote from someone more important than me.

• Advertisement

clivej wrote: »
    "If ye can't say nothing then say nothing at all".

A quote from someone more important than me.

Well good morning to you Clive, I'm nice and refreshed now after a good nights sleep :)

Back on topic of ballistic calculators
    Anyone ever use a Nightforce handheld one?or know of anyone here selling them and how much?

patsat wrote: »
    Then why bother posting?

Because I like discussing my passion shooting/hunting and all topics related pat.
    You will notice I do not post on any other topic ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

Oops, Veg, posted that before I got your PM.:o
    PM sent. Post deleted.
    Not happy - but hey, let's get back on topic.

http://www.nightforceoptics.com/nightforcescopes/TDS_Nomad_data_sheet.pdf

Rugged, waterproof and sunshine rechargeable VGA display

I can't find a price in €'s or $'s though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Tack, unless you've actually used whatever product you're point out, it's not so much helpful as it is shilling to just post the datasheet for it, at least not in this context. Stick to what you've personally used, please.

Sparks wrote: »
    Tack, unless you've actually used whatever product you're point out, it's not so much helpful as it is shilling to just post the datasheet for it, at least not in this context. Stick to what you've personally used, please.

Sparks, I'm looking for advice on one as I may purchase, However I can't find anyone selling one.
    So one would be of the opinion that a thread on "ballistic calculators" would be the appropriate place to get advice.

I have used Hornady charts, which I have found very accurate for 55grain .223. I would like info on this Nightforce nomad from Irish shooters.
    Since we are a minority those of us who shoot over 200yards in the field in Ireland getting info on boards is often the only way.

I did not see the point on starting a separate thread on a certain type of "ballistic Calculator" and I had not considered it going off topic?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Sparks, I'm looking for advice on one as I may purchase, However I can't find anyone selling one. So one would be of the opinion that a thread on "ballistic calculators" would be the appropriate place to get advice.
    One, in this context at least, would be incorrect. Please feel free to start another thread on that specific topic, but the OP in this thread was very specific in asking for people's "recommendations, advice, thoughts" on ballistic calculators, in that he was asking:
    dCorbus wrote:
    - What Ballistic Calculator do you use?
    - Where did you get it?
    - How much did it cost?
    - What platform does it use - e.g. Iphone, BlackBerry, PC, Watch, etc?
    - What do you like about it?
    - What do you dislike about it?
    - What Ballistic Calculator do your mates use?

plus

- How useful is it really, in practice?
    - And how often do you use it?

If someone's asking as focussed a set of questions as that, just throwing out datasheets that a quick google search would find, without even a pricetag attached, is not as helpful as you no doubt intended it to be.
    I have used Hornady charts, which I have found very accurate for 55grain .223.
    That is more the kind of thing the OP was looking for
    I did not see the point on starting a separate thread on a certain type of "ballistic Calculator" and I had not considered it going off topic?
    There is a point to it in this case though, so please, feel free to start one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

That's simple Sparks, you never take a shot without a propper backstop!
    That's the main difference between shooting on a range and field work I suppose.

I use the Iphone Ballistic FTE eddition. Works well as a very good guide but needs tweaking to suite each individual rifle ( barrel length, rate of twist, etc).
    If you put in the time to input the propper data it's very accurate.

Think it cost about €17??? can't remember from the Itunes store and ust it on the iPhone.

Very handy.

i was thinking of getting this as it would be handy, does it do rimfire cals though? cause i downloaded a different one and 204 was the smallest cal it did

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

does it do rimfire cals though?

Not sure about that one, jap gt.

I've never fed in any figures for .22 or any rimfire stuff into a BalCal, maybe some of the other lads have (clivej may have at some point, i'd suspect;):D) - Not sure that there'd be a need for a full blown BalCal for rimfire work, seeing as the furthest reasonable target distance you'd be calculating for a .22lr would be out to about 150 - 200yds....

I understand that most / all the BalCal's are primarily set up for fullbore rounds....

but i'm happy to be corrected on all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

yea but will hopefully be upgrading in the near future to a centrefire, the one that belowaverageiq sounds handy, buy once and all that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

OK now. If your using say Exbal on a Pocket PC hand held device then I don't think you'll be using it for a 22lr with it's max accurate range of 150y.

Exbal hold a data sheet of many factory rounds with the relevent BC info as well as factory heads again with the BC. Just feed the program with the correct data and it will generate a drop chart out to what-ever distance you need.

Link = http://www.perry-systems.com/PocketPC.htm

PPC_Main.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭DJandDeid

There's an iPhone app called 'Let Fly Ballistics Calculator' which does rimfire also. Internet weather, crosswind and ground incline also incorporated. Costs a couple of euro (not sure exactly how much, but I'm tight as a camel's ar*e in a sandstorm so can't have cost much). Haven't had the opportunity to use it yet, but wouldn't mind an opinion from any of you more experienced shooters who may have it.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Norwayviking

That's simple Sparks, you never take a shot without a propper backstop!
    That's the main difference between shooting on a range and field work I suppose.

I use the Iphone Ballistic FTE eddition. Works well as a very good guide but needs tweaking to suite each individual rifle ( barrel length, rate of twist, etc).
    If you put in the time to input the propper data it's very accurate.

Think it cost about €17??? can't remember from the Itunes store and ust it on the iPhone.

Very handy.

I use the same.
    I have Ballistics FTE,Isnipe and bulletflight on my ipod.Out of the three the Ballistics FTE comes out as the best.
    Together with a good windmeter and the right data input, atleast it will bring you on the paper at any range.

Advertisement