Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any nice walks within Galway City?

Options
  • 14-09-2010 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

Hi Can anyone reccomend nice places within Galway city where I could go walking/jogging.

I know the usual places like the swamp, and dangan etc but I'm looking for less busy area's that are within the city?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Merlin woods and Barna woods. Unfortunately Galway isn't really blessed with walks within city limits.
    Maybe someone else has some gems they can share.

Do a circuit of the canals. So go down towards the Spanish Arch, up by Jury's and keep going across Mill Street until you get closer to the Cathedral. It's not very far, but I personally think it's one of the nicer areas of Galway City itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

eagle10 wrote: »
    Hi Can anyone reccomend nice places within Galway city where I could go walking/jogging.

I know the usual places like the swamp, and dangan etc but I'm looking for less busy area's that are within the city?

Salthill prom FTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭eagle10

Salthill prom FTW!

Yeah thanks for that but I am looking for somewhere not that busy

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

I like to walk up Taylors Hill, down Threadneedle Road, along Dr. Mannix Road, up through Devon Park, past the schools and down Taylors hill. Fairly residential but nice enough, still get the fresh sea breeze along alot of it and plenty of beautiful trees along the route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Roscam woods.

Ballyloughane beach.

What I call the "inner prom": Claddagh basin, along to the bottom of Nimmo's pier, back up and then around the outside edge of South Park, towards Salthill and then cut back thru Grattan Park-ish to take the streets back into town.

And I hear there's a particularly scenic beach out near Silverstrand ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭loser2old4board

Try the causeway out to Mutton Island.
    A nice view of the city and Salthill on the way back in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭McDougal

I like Cappagh Park for walking the dog. There's a good car park there too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

hopefully :rolleyes: some of these greenways planned for in the latest development plan manage to get past the beancounters and assorted mandarins...

http://www.galwaycity.ie/AllServices/Planning/Publications/DraftDevelopmentPlan2011-2017Publications/FileEnglish,6483,en.pdf

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

Advertisement