Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot summers in ireland

Options
  • 14-09-2010 8:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Denzil2222

Remember the great hot summers we used to get? summer 1989 was wonderful so was summer 1990, then in 1995 it was so hot you couldnt sleep at night, more recently we had summer 2003 it was as hot as summer 1995 and crazy in love by beyonce was the big song that summer and it was perfect, 3 years later we had summer 2006 our final hot summer it was a great summer, little did we know its was going to be our last hot summer and the last summer or the celtic tiger.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Stop your moanin'

Well I thought we had a lovely summer in 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Well I thought we had a lovely summer in 2010.

I concur, the weather was fantastic this year, people jsut like to complain!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

It was a hot summers night and the beach was burning, there was a fog crawling over the sand. When I listen to your heart I hear the whole world turning, I see the shooting stars falling in your trembling hands...

............I digress

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Ee... when I were a lass it were nowt but clear blue skies from April to September... Oh wait, 1985 and 1986 were two of the sh1ttiest summers I've ever known. They were miserable. :(

I was born in 1978: in my lifetime there have been five heatwaves (1983/4, 1989, 1995 and 2006). 1990 definitely wasn't an amazing summer in Cork anyway - maybe there were a few days of great weather around the World Cup (and it's understandable that's what stands out) but the rest of it, while it wasn't too bad, it certainly wasn't glorious.

1989 and 1995 totally rawked though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Denzil2222 wrote: »
    then in 1995 it was so hot you couldnt sleep at night

I still can't sleep at night. That has less to do with the weather and more to do with those murders I committed, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Another 'sure everything in the past was better' thread. Do these people ever think about what they're saying? We had great weather this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Dudess wrote: »
    I was born in 1978:

Dudess is 32 :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

it was an awful summer, you who say otherwise are just deluded. We don't get summers, let's just accept it and start saving to go somewhere hot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I concur, the weather was fantastic this year, people jsut like to complain!!

And when it was hot, there was a rake of people in AH moaning their f*cking holes off, saying.. "Oh, it's too hot"... "Oh poor me, I'm all sweaty & sticky".

Shower of whinging, UV ray fearing, sun hating weirdos.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

It was fantastic, a vintage year for ribena.

laugh wrote: »
    You think that's weird? Snyper is an 18-year-old girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

you're very picky aren't you Denzel.

also your movies suck!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

laugh wrote: »

It's not possible! No-one could live to such an age.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Had a fantastic summer here, was even warm this weekend while chilling out at the local beach bar. Can't say I miss those rainy summers :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

jester77 wrote: »
    Had a fantastic summer here, was even warm this weekend while chilling out at the local beach bar. Can't say I miss those rainy summers :D

Yeah - Germany would be perfect if it wasn't for all the bloody Germans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

June was a scorcher with record temps. Rest of the summer was a mixed bag. It'll never top 1995 for example in longevity of that shining star!

I like the winter.

There, I said it.

How come 2006 seems to have been so easily forgotten? It was sweltering! And it lasted a lot longer than the hallowed heatwave of 2003, which was very shortlived.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

bluewolf wrote: »
    I like the winter.

There, I said it.
    Easy to say on a beautiful cool early Autumn evening. That's like Pighead saying "I like dolphins and would love to have one in the back garden"

Truth is it would be a nightmare. For a start there's no water in the back garden and secondly the way they show off all the time is a tad needy and would get old pretty quickly. Nah, you're just saying you like Winter because you've forgotten how rubbish it is to walk around with a bright red bulbous nose. Come back to Pighead in December when you have chillblains and frozen snots.

• Advertisement

Pighead wrote: »
    Easy to say on a beautiful cool early Autumn evening. That's like Pighead saying "I like dolphins and would love to have one in the back garden"

Truth is it would be a nightmare. For a start there's no water in the back garden and secondly the way they show off all the time is a tad needy and would get old pretty quickly. Nah, you're just saying you like Winter because you've forgotten how rubbish it is to walk around with a bright red bulbous nose. Come back to Pighead in December when you have chillblains and frozen snots.

Ok, I will. And I'll say it then! Especially since it'll be christmas time and even more awesome!

Winter, the ideal: numbingly cold, crisp, sunny days; everything glistening with frost (it happens, but it's not regular enough).

Winter, the reality: dark most of the time, pissing rain most of the time (and if not pissing rain, damp), bad colds going 'round non stop, depressing grimness when getting up early in the pitch dark for work, extreme traffic jams as it's too miserable for people with cars (myself included) to walk/cycle, gale-force winds, horrible damp coldness as opposed to frosty coldness which is lovely and a lot healthier, people being moany holes about all of the above (myself included).

Christmas is ace though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

bluewolf wrote: »
    Ok, I will. And I'll say it then! Especially since it'll be christmas time and even more awesome!
    You might say it but you definitely won't mean it. It'll be a lie. Just like when Nadine Coyle said she was 18. Like when Peter said "Who the fcuk is Jesus? Never heard of him mate" Like when the Greeks convinced their deadly rivals, the dopey Trojans that the enormous wooden horse heading their way was a gift and definitely not a cunning plot to slaughter and defeat them.

Lies lies lies. Just because you say it Bluewolf doesn't make it true. Actions speak louder than words. There is no way you like Winter. January, bleak. Yuck. Christmas, overrated. Pow. November, paganised. Kapow. Definitely the worst season. Not even debatable. People who say they like Winter are the kind of people who pretend they like cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Winter, the ideal: numbingly cold, crisp, sunny days; everything glistening with frost (it happens, but it's not regular enough).

Winter, the reality: dark most of the time, pissing rain most of the time (and if not pissing rain, damp), bad colds going 'round non stop, depressing grimness when getting up early in the pitch dark for work, extreme traffic jams as it's too miserable for people with cars (myself included) to walk/cycle, gale-force winds, horrible damp coldness as opposed to frosty coldness which is lovely and a lot healthier, people being moany holes about all of the above (myself included).

Christmas is ace though. :)

T'wont be long now till Christmas.

Pighead wrote: »
    You might say it but you definitely won't mean it. It'll be a lie. Just like when Nadine Coyle said she was 18. Like when Peter said "Who the fcuk is Jesus? Never heard of him mate" Like when the Greeks convinced their deadly rivals, the dopey Trojans that the enormous wooden horse heading their way was a gift and definitely not a cunning plot to slaughter and defeat them.

Lies lies lies. Just because you say it Bluewolf doesn't make it true. Actions speak louder than words. There is no way you like Winter. January, bleak. Yuck. Christmas, overrated. Pow. November, paganised. Kapow. Definitely the worst season. Not even debatable. People who say they like Winter are the kind of people who pretend they like cats.

I love winter when it's all cold and then you can go inside and snug up all warm <3
    And christmas! all the christmas lights and carols <3
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

You think that's weird? Snyper is an 18-year-old girl.

Only on the internet

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Scráib

Thing with Autumn/Winter is when the weather is terrible outside it's totally acceptable to sit down on the couch with the fire going and watch a DVD!

In Spring/Summer you'd feel guilty doing it when the Sun is shining!

Back on topic: Summer 2010 has been one of the best Summers in ages!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Am I the only one who saw the title as "Hot scummers in Ireland"?

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

In my lifetime the best summers have definitely been 1995,2003 and 2006.I remember the 2006 summer well because I was sitting exams at the time.

Overall I think 2006 was a fantastic year in terms of weather,we had a dry,mild spring with particular warm conditions in April, a hot dry summer right until the end of september/beginning of october and a cooler than usual Winter. Oh the nostalgia....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

1976!

Advertisement