Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot summers in ireland

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

Dudess wrote: »
    Summer 2003 - if there was a heatwave, it was only about 10 days.

Summer 2006 - hottest summer of the millennium.

Summer 2006 only had a two week sunny heatwave period. Other than that it was utterly bogstandard. Summer 2003 in Ireland was hot, dull, anticyclonic weather.

IMO, 2007 and 2008 had far worse summers than 2011.

I was living in Britain during summer 2010 and used to regularly check the conditions in Ireland. Couldn't believe the difference. Any day it was mid 20s where I was, the same day in Ireland wouldn't even be 20 degrees.
    Danno wrote: »
    The duration of 95 was way longer than 06 also.

Much much longer. End of June to early September, if I recall. Summer 2006? Two week heatwave agus sin é.
    venturer wrote: »
    the summer of ' 96 was very hot,weeks and weeks of sunshine, the month of June itself was extremely hot almost impossible to sleep at night as temps were in the 20's even at 2 and 3 in the morning. Wonderful if we had that again this year.

Think you're thinking of summer 1995. Summer 1996 was absolutely nothing special.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Nick Guats

Summer 2006 only had a two week sunny heatwave period. Other than that it was utterly bogstandard. Summer 2003 in Ireland was hot, dull, anticyclonic weather.

I was living in Britain during summer 2010 and used to regularly check the conditions in Ireland. Couldn't believe the difference. Any day it was mid 20s where I was, the same day in Ireland wouldn't even be 20 degrees.

The Summer 2006 heatwave lasted for a lot longer than 2 weeks, Anybody that thinks summer 2006 was "bogstandard" needs treatment imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

Nick Guats wrote: »
    The Summer 2006 heatwave lasted for a lot longer than 2 weeks, Anybody that thinks summer 2006 was "bogstandard" needs treatment imo

It really didn't, two weeks, that was all. I committed it to memory as I have an interest in meteorology. Other than that, that summer was nothing special. I think people can have bad memories when it comes to idyllic weather, thinking it lasted longer than it did. 1995 was exceptional, nothing since then has even come close in Ireland. Summer 2003 was exceptional in the UK and mainland Europe. But here, we mostly got hot, cloudy weather. Temps of 27 or 28 were normal, but accompanied by haze, cloud and high humidity. Not a vintage year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

1995 was the best summer I can remember (and I remember 1975, '76, '83, '84, 89 - 91).

They never told us Global Warming would mean the end of Summer! :mad:

Summer 1996 was absolutely nothing special.

It was a "near-miss" for a repeat of '95, fairly dry in the East (I think) but otherwise nothing special.

Yet in central Europe it was one of the warmest on record with average temps up to 5C above normal!

I think SE England may have got a taste of that; can't really remember as I was here at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

It was 36 today ...and no humidity.....lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mercenary2

laugh wrote: »
    Dudess is 32 :eek:

have you concidered she could off been born at start of jan. which would make her 33 ..a little bit of maths you could of missed ..
    i also was born in 78 which makes me .....:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 venturer

you are right Seomra I clicked on the wrong number it was 95 a real scorcher.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Ha ha ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!!!!!

Wot a larf!
    Hot summers?
    Pah!
    So few it's downright immoral!
    I lived away from 1991 until 1998 and ever since then I have been bitterly disappointed except for the summer of 2005 which was beautiful.

Mild wettish weather

Please tick the box you think this description applies to in Ireland.

Spring Summer Autumn Winter

Answer: All, or any of the above.

Grrr, the lack of any interesting weather (SNOW) is REALLY getting to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mossyc123

Much much longer. End of June to early September, if I recall. Summer 2006? Two week heatwave agus sin é.

According to the Ireland section of this Wiki entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_European_heat_wave#Ireland

"In Ireland, May 2006 was the warmest for 20 years and sunniest since 2000; June 2006 was the sunniest on record, driest since 1995 and also one of the warmest; July 2006 was the warmest on record, sunniest in 15 years and also driest since 1989; August 2006 was average; September 2006 was the warmest on record; October 2006 was the warmest in many places since 2001 and sunniest since 2000; and November 2006 was warmer and sunnier than usual. Overall, Summer 2006 (June, July and August) was the sunniest, driest and warmest summer since 1995; and one of the sunniest, driest and warmest on record. Autumn 2006 (September, October, November) was the warmest on record in many places, and sunshine levels were well above normal; however, rainfall levels were also above average too.

The months of June and July 2006 are regarded as one of the best summers ever due to the high levels of sunshine, warm temperatures and low rainfall. Drought and health problems were not an issue in Ireland, unlike many parts of Europe - mostly because the heat was not as severe there."

June '06 was the sunniest on record.
    July '06 was the warmest on record.
    Sept '06 was the warmest on record.

Overall, Summer 2006 (June, July and August) was the sunniest, driest and warmest Summer since 1995.

Nothing special?!

2010 and 2011 seemed average enough to me... certainly better then 2007 and 2008 washouts.

As for this year... here's hoping!

• Advertisement

July 2006 was the warmest on record

:eek:

Is that true? I'm very surprised if it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

1978 was the last great Summer Lovin, I think I'll watch Grease tonight.

By the way it's 40 degreeC plus in Perth, Aust.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

I know not quite summer, but I remember very dry conditions in 2007.

The 'drought' started in August 2007 and ran through to November 2007. Not necessary sunny and hot, but definitely near zero rain in my area (I live 5 miles from Cork Airport)

I remember seeing streams & bogs in the area run dry! I ran some alcathene piping from my house waterwell supply to livestock-drinkers to help two local farmers..

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭traecy1

Tazio wrote: »
    I know not quite summer, but I remember very dry conditions in 2007.

The 'drought' started in August 2007 and ran through to November 2007. Not necessary sunny and hot, but definitely near zero rain in my area (I live 5 miles from Cork Airport)

I remember seeing streams & bogs in the area run dry! I ran some alcathene piping from my house waterwell supply to livestock-drinkers to help two local farmers..

Yes I remember April of that year being very warm and dry and the period from late August to late November being unusually dry. Of course that summer was a washout though. I also remember summer 2006 as being a very warm and humid one. May 2006 was very wet with flooding in places but June and July were very warm and dry. Things were a bit more normal in August but overall it was probably the best summer since 1995.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Good site for historic weather:
    http://weatherspark.com/#!graphs;a=Ireland/COUNTY_DUBLIN/Dublin
    It confirms that 1995 and 2006 were the good ones.
    (Use the slider in the bottom right to extend the range to the last few decades)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Coastal margins of the west and south did relatively okay during the washout summers of 07, 08, 09, 11 and 12 - hence the varying reports. Those washout summers were caused by convective showers.

2006 was a warm summer, but again humidity was high creating alot of cloud. Pressure was generally high so not as many showers as the following years. 10 was similar to 06 though without the heat.

1995 sticks out because of it's warmth and low humidity which created many clear-blue sky days. Last weeks weather was similar to 1995.

1995 was quite the year to suit all weather interests... thundery March, flip-flop of cold and warmth in April with heat, snow and more heat. May was similar but without the snow! June to October was warm, dry and low humidity barring a few off days - namely first few days of July, last week of August and an odd off day in the early Autumn. IIRC around the last weeks or so of Oct temps were still near 20c. August produced one thunderstorm near here, otherwise despite the heat thunderstorms never broke out - compounding the low humidity of that summer. By December the mild was still around... I think Bill Clinton visited Dublin and still leaves on the trees... by Dec 20th snow arrived from the east and a second-in-a-row White Christmas ensued.

Advertisement