Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homemade bread - it always turns out flat (convection ovens no good?)

Options
  • 14-09-2010 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭

The OH says she can never get it right.

Are convection ovens not suitable for break cooking?

Todays bread was soggy / uncooked in the middle

Anyone any advise ?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,440 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Make sure that the mixture is fairly light, that you're not hammering or kneading the heck out of it. It shouldn't be overly sloppy if you're using buttermilk, etc. Are you using any bread soda or a raising agent?

I've had a similar problem - it's a pain and disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Bellabidul

Happens to me quite a lot - but i wont give up!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭baldbear

I made a bit of brown earlier and it was a tiny bit soggy. I'm thinking of putting in a bit less buttermilk the next time.
    It was grand with a bit of jam though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I don't think its fair to say that convection ovens are unsuitable for breadmaking, but you do need to get to know your oven and know what temp is suitable for different recipes.

I find that I rarely use the temp listed in the recipe, as I know what to expect from my oven.

If soda bread is soggy in the middle, it probably didn't cook for long enough Don't make the mixture too dry, as the bread will be dry.

I find it easier to make smaller loaves of bread. With a very large loaf, you risk the middle not being cooked, when the crust is cooked.

What temp are you using ?

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

What kind of bread is she making?

I make mainly yeast breads and find you need to give them time to proof, otherwise you get poor oven spring.

Soda breads are a chemical rise, but the temperature can affect things.
    Just mixing through is usually enough for soda breads, no "knead" to spend 15 minutes massaging it!

My oven also has a hot spot in it so I have to turn my breads to cook evenly.

Fan assist ovens generally cook "hotter" than the temp. setting suggests and can cook the crust before the middle is done.

Do you pre-heat the oven before putting the dough in? I like to give a good blast of heat at the start and turn down the oven after five or ten minutes.

I also use some large floor tiles on the shelves as a pizza stone heat sink kind of thing.
    With yeast breads, for a crusty crust, I spray water from a plant sprayer and also put a pan in the bottom of the oven and pour boiling water in it as the dough goes in. Plenty steam makes a good rise and thick crust.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭clived2

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Make sure you're using STRONG White flour as opposed to plain white flour.

Advertisement