Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tenant law

Options
  • 14-09-2010 9:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭

I've recently started renting a house and want to install shelves in my room, am I allowed to do this without the Landlord's permission or do I have to consult him first? I'd rather not to be honest...don't want to violate the law though either!#

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

it wouldnt be against the law. HOWEVER if you dont have permission you could find part of your deposit retained to "repair" the holes in the wall from the installation of the shelving.

bottom line seek permission and get it in writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

As D3PO posted, it would be a good idea to get your landlord's permission before installing any shelves in your room. And don't necessarily expect to get it, either. If I was renting I wouldn't be too keen on somebody installing shelves in a room for a lot of reasons, including suitability, possible damage (apart from drilling holes in the wall!), durability, etc.

If they don't give you permission, IKEA do a lot of different types of shelving units that should fit all types of spaces and needs. They're relatively cheap and are quite sturdy (judging by all the books that are on the shelves in my room! :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I cant see why you wouldnt just ask your landlord if its okay. If you dont ask and they take offense to it then youll almost certainly lose some of your deposit. At least if you ask you know where you stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

I'd be shocked if thsi was not a clause in your lease. You can ask but I doubt they will let you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

D3PO wrote: »
    it wouldnt be against the law. HOWEVER if you dont have permission you could find part of your deposit retained to "repair" the holes in the wall from the installation of the shelving.
    bottom line seek permission and get it in writing.

Well if you break a legal contract, I'd have thought it is?
    I've recently started renting a house and want to install shelves in my room, am I allowed to do this without the Landlord's permission or do I have to consult him first? I'd rather not to be honest...don't want to violate the law though either!#

Cheers

I'm not sure what you mean by this but it sounds like, I'd rather not be honest? but I dont want to do something that is against the agreement I signed?

Ask permission, if denied, thats it, get shelves that are attached to some other storage system
    I would say you dont have any automatic right to install shelves and Im sure your lease says that too.
    Its damage if you dont have permission, and if you hit a pipe or electric wire, then?

• Advertisement
Advertisement