Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harsh car clamping first day back.

Options
  • 14-09-2010 9:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

I got clamped for the first time in my five years of driving on the first day back. I parked in the same place I have parked for the last four years (The one behind the library). This car park before now was pretty much a muddy field where everyone parked anywhere. This year UCD have resurfaced it and cracked down on clamping. I had parked there for one hour, not blocking any traffic, and only had a warning sticker placed on my window for 15 minutes before getting clamped.

There was a further 16 cars clamped at the same time as mine. Cars are continueing to be clamped here because everyone is so used to parking anywhere! On the first day of term this seems to be very harsh and a way for UCD to make a quick buck.

I rang the head parking guy at UCD, left a message and haven't gotten any replies. I would love to know if anyone else has complained about this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jinxremoving

clamping is all done by ncps not ucd...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 karpo

I know that. But UCD obviously give them a certain amount of direction. If it was all done by NCPS with no input from UCD then why have I been able to park in the same spot for four years clamp free?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Which car park do you mean? The one behind the church?

Yeah that one! On the hill and usually always mental with cars all over the gaff.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭qwert2

karpo wrote: »
    I got clamped for the first time in my five years of driving on the first day back. I parked in the same place I have parked for the last four years (The one behind the library). This car park before now was pretty much a muddy field where everyone parked anywhere. This year UCD have resurfaced it and cracked down on clamping. I had parked there for one hour, not blocking any traffic, and only had a warning sticker placed on my window for 15 minutes before getting clamped.

There was a further 16 cars clamped at the same time as mine. Cars are continueing to be clamped here because everyone is so used to parking anywhere! On the first day of term this seems to be very harsh and a way for UCD to make a quick buck.

I rang the head parking guy at UCD, left a message and haven't gotten any replies. I would love to know if anyone else has complained about this.

Yeah that is harsh. It's a horrible feeling. I seen a couple of cars clamped today. The clampers seem to be out in force this year. See if you can appeal it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

First day back is always mad for clamping, the newbies reckon there's safety in numbers and park everywhere. Those mud carparks were a disaster for parking, people getting boxed in and trapped for hours, glad to hear they've tidied it up.

Appeal direct to NCPS is the best bet if it was an unfair clamping. If you do appeal, it's a good idea to take photos to support your case as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I got clamped for the first time in my five years of driving on the first day back. I parked in the same place I have parked for the last four years (The one behind the library). This car park before now was pretty much a muddy field where everyone parked anywhere. This year UCD have resurfaced it and cracked down on clamping.

Where/how exactly did you park that you got clamped? It's usually a nightmare to park in there because cars are parked everywhere and anywhere, sometimes only leaving barely enough room to drive past (assuming you're in a small car). Was it that kind of parking that was clamped? Or was it people who parked along what used to the middle rows in that carpark?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Thats a mad old car park. Was in there once myself and the first time I broke a sweat parking.

Seems very hard but NCPS are absolutely the worst company to deal with. The work in many other colleges. A friend got clamped in another campus because she had recently re-reg'd the car and her permit was to UK plates (She re-reg from UK to Irish plates) They didn't accept the new plates in the back of the car (Waiting to be applied), a note from the tax office and the log book as proof. Out for the money and nothing else.

Any chance I get I have a go at them. Unmarked van this year as well. Two lads in it waiting to clamp.

There is a sane and reasonable limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

I was in Tuesday and parking was insane. People were circling for ages looking for spaces, was dizzy looking at them!
    Walked past the dirt carpark near Clonskeagh gate and saw someone had parked on a mound of mud and gravel. Wonder how they manage to get their Micra up that high.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

they have an even tougher time getting it down once there clamped

RosyLily wrote: »
    I was in Tuesday and parking was insane. People were circling for ages looking for spaces, was dizzy looking at them!
    Walked past the dirt carpark near Clonskeagh gate and saw someone had parked on a mound of mud and gravel. Wonder how they manage to get their Micra up that high.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭sellerbarry

Thought students were all on the breadline. Sounds like all of you have cars.? Well for yas.. My view of poor students living on beans has just done a U-turn.

Poor people have cars too

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mumtoe&e

Thought students were all on the breadline. Sounds like all of you have cars.? Well for yas.. My view of poor students living on beans has just done a U-turn.

I'm a student, and have a car, and a mortgage of almost 1k per month, oh and 2 kids and high childcare costs and YES I am on the breadline! "Students" cover a wide spectrum of people - dont think I could manage to do an 40 mile cycle to college each day, so thank goodness for my car!!! :pac:

Oh and as for the clamping, a girl in my class had her car towed yesterday, she wasnt parking in UCD, but in a housing estate near the clonskeagh ent. Apparantly 3 cars were towed yesterday, they seem to be coming down even harder this year!:eek:

mumtoe&e wrote: »
    I'm a student, and have a car, and a mortgage of almost 1k per month, oh and 2 kids and high childcare costs and YES I am on the breadline! "Students" cover a wide spectrum of people - dont think I could manage to do an 40 mile cycle to college each day, so thank goodness for my car!!! :pac:

Oh and as for the clamping, a girl in my class had her car towed yesterday, she wasnt parking in UCD, but in a housing estate near the clonskeagh ent. Apparantly 3 cars were towed yesterday, they seem to be coming down even harder this year!:eek:

Well you're only towed if you are blocking a road which is completely merited. Also I think only An Garda Siochana can tow vehicles. Today as I was going out the clonskeagh way I turned left and right into Nutgrove park. Its a one way road and very narrow. There were cars parked both side and there was a clearance of no more than 1inch either side of my car with both mirrors pulled in. If an ambulance needed to go up there it would be impossible. If you're willing to walk 10 minutes to your lecture there is plenty of safe parking available on public roads outside campus

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

I suppose you think all black people eat chicken and water melon and all Asian people are good at maths?:rolleyes:

convert wrote: »
    Where/how exactly did you park that you got clamped? It's usually a nightmare to park in there because cars are parked everywhere and anywhere, sometimes only leaving barely enough room to drive past (assuming you're in a small car). Was it that kind of parking that was clamped? Or was it people who parked along what used to the middle rows in that carpark?

It was people who parked in middle rows and around the edges of the car park (beside the trees) getting clamped! Apparently there's only one row of parking allowed in the middle now. Even though two cars parked side by side there still don't block the road at all. OH how I found out the hard way... I took photos and everything. The NCPS drivers excuse was that a fire truck wouldnt be able to fit past. But if you look at most of UCDS car parks generally you won't fit a truck down the ailes... Bit of a cop out excuse. The NCPS also get commission on top of their wages for each car they clamp. So with everyone being so used to parking everywhere and anywhere in that particular car park he must of hit the jackpot that day. Another point is that there's no actual marked out parking spaces in that car park either. I don't really don't think I could appeal this though, the new car parking sign they put up there pretty much says you cant park anywhere but allocated parking spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I saw an Ambulance Doctor's Car clamped yesterday near the entrance by the vet building!

I know there are rules, but christ, that it just being a €unt!!!!

There are 25,000 students in UCD, about 250-500 have cars, still a lot of us who dont!!!

Talk about a generalisation. I can barely afford a bus, let alone a fricking car!!!!

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    I saw an Ambulance Doctor's Car clamped yesterday near the entrance by the vet building!

I know there are rules, but christ, that it just being a €unt!!!!

UCD runs a course in emergency paramedicine for the Dublin Fire Brigade and HSE so the person was probably attending a lecture or something like that.

UCD runs a course in emergency paramedicine for the Dublin Fire Brigade and HSE so the person was probably attending a lecture or something like that.

That I understand, but no doubt they are on the clock, as soon as they are finished that lecture they are working again, or god forbid there was a major emergency and they had to rush out!

I know no one should be above the law, but people with important life saving jobs should be given some slack!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

It was people who parked in middle rows and around the edges of the car park (beside the trees) getting clamped! Apparently there's only one row of parking allowed in the middle now. Even though two cars parked side by side there still don't block the road at all. OH how I found out the hard way... I took photos and everything. The NCPS drivers excuse was that a fire truck wouldnt be able to fit past. But if you look at most of UCDS car parks generally you won't fit a truck down the ailes... Bit of a cop out excuse. The NCPS also get commission on top of their wages for each car they clamp. So with everyone being so used to parking everywhere and anywhere in that particular car park he must of hit the jackpot that day. Another point is that there's no actual marked out parking spaces in that car park either. I don't really don't think I could appeal this though, the new car parking sign they put up there pretty much says you cant park anywhere but allocated parking spaces.

There have been some issues in the past where I've barely been able to squeeze between the 2 rows of cars, but in fairness they've bee parked pretty close to the entrace to the carpark where there wasn't really enough room, but towards the centre of the carpark there's adequate room to park 2 rows of cars. Even if they parked 2 rows horizonatally to the edges it would still leave enough room.

As for not been allowed park near the trees.... :rolleyes:

I wonder by how much the clamping rate would decrease if the NCPS didn't work on commission per clamp?

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

Where did you hear that NCPS are on commision? Only place I could find anything about it online was an unconfirmed line in the Leinster Leader from 2009...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

clamping is all done by ncps not ucd...

Yes but they have to pass it with head of transport in UCD before every car they clamp, which is why they sometimes put warning stickers on before they clamp.
    I know that. But UCD obviously give them a certain amount of direction. If it was all done by NCPS with no input from UCD then why have I been able to park in the same spot for four years clamp free?

You can't park the same way that you used to because there is a proper layout to that carpark now, it's pretty obvious. The rule now is you can't park on the tar, only in the gravel areas.
    The NCPS also get commission on top of their wages for each car they clamp.
    That is BS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

was there no sign saying you needed to get a ticket ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

duckysauce wrote: »
    was there no sign saying you needed to get a ticket ?

It's not a pay and display carpark so he/she was obviously parked on the 'road'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

the op says it was a carpark ?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭graduate

The plonker who started a third row, thereby blocking people in the middle, in the car park at the new law school deserves to be clamped.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭stop

graduate wrote: »
    The plonker who started a third row, thereby blocking people in the middle, in the car park at the new law school deserves to be clamped.
    Tell NCPS, not us. 0818 555 000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Generally speaking, don't park where you're not supposed to park - then you won't get clamped. And don't bully people doing their job - take your anger out on yourself, seeing as it's ultimately your fault for putting yourself in the situation, not the clamper's fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

Well you're only towed if you are blocking a road which is completely merited. Also I think only An Garda Siochana can tow vehicles. Today as I was going out the clonskeagh way I turned left and right into Nutgrove park. Its a one way road and very narrow. There were cars parked both side and there was a clearance of no more than 1inch either side of my car with both mirrors pulled in. If an ambulance needed to go up there it would be impossible. If you're willing to walk 10 minutes to your lecture there is plenty of safe parking available on public roads outside campus

its was next to impossible for me to get by and I drive a micra. I don't understand why people would double park when it clearly blocks access (eg for an ambulance etc)..i mean it's stupid..they could have just walked for 5more minutes and parked further up the road.

Advertisement