Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Expensive sport

• 14-09-2010 9:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

If I keep cycling during the winter, or if I stop completely but still get back up on it next year, I can see myself spending a lot of money on biking next year. I only got the bike in May so didn't want to go mad unless it becomes more than just a fair weather hobby. Obviously I don't need any of this stuff, but I've got my eye on a bunch of stuff and those...people in the credit card thread are not helping matters :P

So I was just wondering, apart from your bike, what's the most expensive thing you've bought that is exclusive for this sport? I suspect mine is going to be a GPS because I want to get out and about and not just cycle in a straight line along the n25.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Next most expensive thing for cycling would be my turbo trainer cost me 400euro I think. Then it would br my Garmin 705 at around 300euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

new bike last year, edge 500 this year
    still need new shoes and new helmet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Prescription Oakleys. So, now I'm officialy a Fred.
    Curse my crappy eyesight, but by god they're nice glasses and they work amasingly well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Side Show Bob

nice, especially the "forst to see will buy" but the thread topic is "apart from your bike"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭cosman9373

nereid wrote: »
    nice, especially the "forst to see will buy" but the thread topic is "apart from your bike"

Do bike parts count
    like you'll need these and this and why not this too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭High Nellie

I must be a dinosaur and ride with other such creatures - the idea of Garmin and turbotrainer being essential equipment would never cross our minds.
    Good clothing for the winter is first priority. After that, a reliable bike. That's about the extent of the necessary expense apart from travel and entry to events.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭cosman9373

corblimey wrote: »
    Obviously I don't need any of this stuff, but I've got my eye on a bunch of stuff and those...people in the credit card thread are not helping matters :P

So I was just wondering, apart from your bike, what's the most expensive thing you've bought that is exclusive for this sport? I suspect mine is going to be a GPS because I want to get out and about and not just cycle in a straight line along the n25.

@high nellie, What I got from OP is this was was not essential gear but more what many cyclists like to fool themselves into thinking is essential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I don't have one but one of the most expensive bits that you can get that isn't the bike would be a power meter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭High Nellie

OOops - misread the thread. So, this is about indulgence. Hmmm ...
    A saddle with a little extra?
    Wheels seem to make good eye candy for a lot of fellas
    I'd say your trip to Europe could come into it
    ????
    ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

Leave the credit card at home! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

where do I start....spent a friggin fortune since buying the bike in March.

Cosmic's = 800e
    New Saddle = 100e
    Carbon bar & stem = 220e
    Carbon seat post = 100e
    Elite E-motion rollers = 600e
    Shimano sunglasses = 145e
    Garmin Egde 500 = 200e

Does it ever stop :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

anoble66 wrote: »
    Does it ever stop :eek:

No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

anoble66 wrote: »
    Shimano sunglasses = 145e

Good Lord! :eek:

I'll stick with my 5e Lidl ones for now :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

Ha I know, moment of madness one day. In fairness to me I did have a cheap pair before but the frame cracked so of course this time I went all out :pac:

Benbecul97 wrote: »

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

OK, so where do I start. In descending order, ignoring bike components, and stopping at around €300 (otherwise it could be a very long list):

A "few" powermeters
    A Tacx Fortius VR trainer (only the one, for now)
    A "few" Garmins (can't wait for the 800 to come out)
    A "few" Assos Fugu jackets (need more than one to match colour schemes!)
    An Exposure Maxx D front light (only 960 lumen, and only one of these, for now)

I like to have spares, just in case....;)

Benbecul97 wrote: »

I wish mine were only €145 :(

Advertisement