Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Convince me..

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    Very few, as far as I can tell.

Some interesting reading here, UK story but relevant to us as we have similar environment and drive on the same side of the road:

http://www.survivalskills.clara.net/riding_skills_6.htm
    The Dutch study in particular showed that losing control in bends was a significant factor. The Cheshire figures show that accidents involving misjudging bends make up 40% of accidents in rural areas. The fatality rate for these kind of accidents is high. This was made clear in our local IAM magazine a couple of years ago when a serving police officer revealed that out of twelve riders killed in Kent in a year, eleven lost control on bends. The Dutch study also found that many of the accidents investigated would have been less serious, or avoided altogether, if the rider had been able to make an emergency stop.
    Conclusion

So, research shows that claims that power causes accidents is flawed. But so is the traditional motorcyclist's view that it is blind Volvo drivers that kill motorcyclists.

Riding experts like the IAM agree that speed and power alone don't kill. Speed in the wrong place, speed without judgement, speed without skill can and does.

The evidence also pinpoints the sad fact that a lot of us can't manage to negotiate corners without falling off or hitting oncoming vehicles, and when we get it wrong, the result is often very bad indeed. The message John Moss is giving is that it is down to us as riders to put our house in order. As a member of MAG, he can hardly be classed as a killjoy or a scaremongerer. "Get trained and improve your riding skills" he says. With the proper skills you can have fun, but be safe at the same time.

I think it's a bit sad that cultural aversion to three wheeled vehicles, that aren't considered 'proper motorcycles' might hinder the uptake of what is a safer design and a more useful vehicle for the average commuter. I'm not attributing that to anyone in particular, just a general observation I've made since I started using an MP3. It's not like they could replace sport bikes or cruisers. Just maybe some people would own one as a second daily runner (like me) or others who wouldn't get back into motorcycles, or consider them in the first place might get one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Oops scratch that, i red that as new bikers were dying in single vehicle accidents. I need to learn to read properly move along :o

Yes there is a high proportion of bikers dying in single vehicle accidents. Most are supposedly "experienced" bikers too.

3 wheels might be a a bit more stable, they wont stop people misjudging corners though. Proper training would be more effective safety measure than getting a 3 wheeled bike for safety reasons.

I have no problem with three wheeled vehicles look like they could be handy in some circumstances.

I prefer the ones with 2 at the back though :)

Oops scratch that, i red that as new bikers were dying in single vehicle accidents. I need to learn to read properly move along :o

Yes there is a high proportion of bikers dying in single vehicle accidents. Most are supposedly "experienced" bikers too.

3 wheels might be a a bit more stable, they wont stop people misjudging corners though. Proper training would be more effective safety measure than getting a 3 wheeled bike for safety reasons.

I have no problem with three wheeled vehicles look like they could be handy in some circumstances.

I prefer the ones with 2 at the back though :)

NP I agree with you on training. Good observation and being trained in a system that is geared towards rider safety (ROSPA motorcycle training?) is definitely the first thing to look at. But just think about the thought processes that most people have when choosing a car based on safety. Does it have airbags? does it have ESP? ABS? is FWD? RWD? or 4WD? We're all human, we all mess up at times! Inevitably when you have that momentary lapse of concentration it would be nice to have a motorcycle with traction control and ABS (BMW S1000RR) or a scooter with three wheels :)

Just my opinion on the scooters with the two wheels on the back. When you brake the centre of gravity shifts forward. In car terms that's why cars have bigger discs and calipers on the front, same for motorcycles. So when you're braking and the weight of motorcycle plus rider shifts forward, it is better to have more tyre grip in the front than in the back. Something similar for cornering as well. Two wheels at the back would probably have the advantage of not kicking out the back end on corners so much if you were too throttle happy while cornering. Ideally I'd like two wheels in front, traction control to control the single rear wheel better and ABS fitted for more control in emergency braking. Just looking at this article

http://motorcycles.about.com/od/bmw/fr/2010-BMW-S1000rr-Review.htm
    Wet weight is 450 pounds (or 455 pounds with ABS), and unladen seat height measures 32 inches.

BMW's newest ABS system only adds 2.3KG of weight to the bike. Not really much of a disincentive for adding this kind of system to bikes. At least as an optional extra! I'd certainly have it for my MP3 or sports bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

three wheelers are cool and two at the front is the way to go

however !

a car lisence to ride ? thats crazy its a bike with an extra wheel not a car missing one

anyway everyone starting out can get this then on a b lisence

cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyKgNuThKUQ&feature=related

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Tigger wrote: »
    a car lisence to ride ? thats crazy its a bike with an extra wheel not a car missing one

Does that mean you don't have to wear a helmet? :eek:

• Advertisement

Does that mean you don't have to wear a helmet? :eek:
    Sent: 26 May 2009 14:21
    To: ****, ****
    Subject: FW: What licence required?
    Hi ****

A tricycle is regarded as a vehicle in category "B" for driver licensing purposes, and the driver is therefore required to hold a category "B" driving licence.

Regards
    Breda
    Driving Licensing Section

In the rest of Europe you need a motorcycle license for this vehicle. You can however drive it on a car license throughout the rest of Europe if you get your Piaggio dealer to put some spacers on the front wheels. Apparently if they're 1 or 2 cm wider it then counts as a car in Europe. Piaggio make an "MP3 LT" version which is already slightly wider at the front.

http://www.uk.piaggio.com/en_UK/prodotti/mp3_lt/default.aspx

However in Ireland you need a car license for both the MP3 and MP3 LT. To answer your question I doubt you're legally required to wear a helmet since it is definitely category B in this country. I bought mine in London, so I can confirm VRT is based on the motorcycle system and just checked my wallet, road tax is €76 per year.

Advertisement