Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WC cisterns very slow to fill??

• 14-09-2010 10:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭

Friend had new dishwasher plumbed in beside washing machine in kitchen and a new outside tap installed. Standard semi-D on mains water in urban area.

Now notice that both wc cisterns are very slow to fill?
    Took lid off bathroom wc cistern on 1st floor and wc cistern on ground floor - no water visible coming out of pipe in cistern when ball cock is down. Slight drip visible - takes ages to fill.
    Both Taps on both wash-hand-basins and bath seem to have good pressure.

Any ideas on why wc cisterns are so slow to fill?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

RKQ wrote: »
    Friend had new dishwasher plumbed in beside washing machine in kitchen and a new outside tap installed. Standard semi-D on mains water in urban area.

Now notice that both wc cisterns are very slow to fill?
    Took lid off bathroom wc cistern on 1st floor and wc cistern on ground floor - no water visible coming out of pipe in cistern when ball cock is down. Slight drip visible - takes ages to fill.
    Both Taps on both wash-hand-basins and bath seem to have good pressure.

Any ideas on why wc cisterns are so slow to fill?

sometime the flexi pipe going into them can get kinked trying to make the turn from the wall to the cistern. Even through its no apparent at first glance because its reinforced pipe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

There is no reason for the installiation of the tap and the applience to effect the cisterns. The only possible reason near that is in turning off the water and emptying the tank sediment was drawn from the tank and has got caught in the filter of the inlet valve. The filters are located at the bottom of the valve and will need to have the plumbing disconnected.

What i usually do if this is a problem is actually change the whole valve with an aquasave or wirquirn ball valve bought respectivly from MT Agencies or Excel industries. If you phone either of them they will tell you the nearest hardware supplier they supply to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Thanks for the replies. I'll pass it on - hope to call over today.

I thought there was no reason for the installiation of the tap and the appliance to effect the cisterns, but the problem only surfaced after the dishwasher was plumbed in last month.

I was wondering could it be an air lock, dirt in the pipe?
    I thought maybe extra pipe connection of dishwasher might have reduced ground floor water pressure from attic tank but the 1st floor cistern baffled me.

The Council reqularly turn off the mains water at night, could this be causing a problem?

All thoughts, ideas or queries welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Very much doubt its an air lock, as the water feeds are generally a straight drop from the water tank

If the dishwasher feed is plumbed into the same feed as the kitchen cold, then it has no effect. this has been taken from the rising main, and not the tank in the attic. Has the pressure in your kitchen cold remained the same?

Other than that, its likely to be Sludge in the pipe somewhere as joey said. Was the tank drained?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

If the dishwasher feed is plumbed into the same feed as the kitchen cold, then it has no effect.

Had a quick look under kitchen sink and new outside tap is taken off pipe to cold tap. Couldn't see any other pipes so I' ll call over today & see if I can pull out washing machine & dishwasher, to see their connections.

Thanks for all the feedback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

RKQ wrote: »
    Had a quick look under kitchen sink and new outside tap is taken off pipe to cold tap. Couldn't see any other pipes so I' ll call over today & see if I can pull out washing machine & dishwasher, to see their connections.

Thanks for all the feedback.

99% chance that they are plumbed into the rising main. There would be no reason to run a cold feed from the tank down to the kitchen when the rising main is there

Advertisement