Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE: Do the right thing

Options
  • 14-09-2010 10:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭

Has anyone watched this show so far? Just two episodes down, how many more are in the series?

Has been pretty good so far, but you can just tell it's going to get bitchy if the volenteers have to decide who's going home each week. :D:D:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 sublimer

Yep watched the first two... last nights show was great!!! really felt like an UN-RTE show...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Was waiting for something to say they're working like blacks but it must have been edited out :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Jaysus just watching it now full of mostly naive young rich toffs full of there own self importance. The exception being the older gent and the woman from sherrif street.

They should be making a documentary about a bunch of African volunteers visiting Ireland to help demolish those ghost estates!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

Loving the show, especially the last one as I'm just back from Ghana with habitat for Humanity myself so it was great to see it. I'd like a bit more shown of the volunteer work and how they interacted with the community.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

From the perspective of someone who works in the aid sector, I think the show is an absolute disgrace and makes a mockery of volunteering abroad. And that is the opinion of everybody I know who also works in this area.
    It's not meant to be some prize you win. It's no wonder voluntering abroad has recently got a terrible name with people just popping over for two weeks to play with a hammer.

I know no one who would watch it will probably give a crap what any development worker thinks, but this is a embarrassment to us. And I've had a few Zambians already lamblast me for how this show is making their country look.

Well according to the show they can't build proper houses in Zambia! One of the volunteers is a builder and he wasn't happy with the contruction process there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 FrancieH

dory, i concur. being a volunteer isn't a career choice.. it's driving me mad the way they talk about it as if it emcompasses everything to do with anything in a so called poor country.. What are they going to do during their year as a volunteer when they win?? -there is absolutely no reference to skills or qualifications. everything to date revolves around unskilled manual work. a quick tot up of the 16 +entourage airfares from ireland to zambia puts a bit of a damper on the value of their free labour..

I don't understand why you guys have such a problem with it? Maybe explain a bit more. What way should it be done?
    Nolanger wrote: »
    Well according to the show they can't build proper houses in Zambia! One of the volunteers is a builder and he wasn't happy with the contruction process there.

He was being an arse, the houses aren't meant to meet the standards of what we have here.

Beau wrote: »
    I don't understand why you guys have such a problem with it? Maybe explain a bit more. What way should it be done?

It should aim to make less of a mockery of Africa/poor people/the whole volunteering abroad thing.

Imagine this Beau. Your child is dying and needs a €1000 operation. The doctors available decide instead of operating they're going to all get together and play some games,televise it for the craic and spend €100,000 on the whole shenanigans.
    All the while filming your dying boy at the same time and completely over-dramatizing and down right lying about his condition, to make good TV.

In the end, the whackiest doctor wins and gets to operate while all the serious doctors never took part in such sh!te to begin with.

And there's what you have in this show. Africa is not some playground we can all have a bit of fun in. The show is a complete insult to the people who live there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 mr jack

dory wrote: »
    It should aim to make less of a mockery of Africa/poor people/the whole volunteering abroad thing.

Dory, how did it make a mockery of volunteering in Africa? That's how Habitat build every house, they get a group in, and a build a house. The only difference here is that it was televised. Me thinks you are a typical begrudger.

The point of this show is first off for RTE to provide entertainment(as is their want), secondly to show the people at home what volunteering can involve, thirdly give some exposure to the different aid agencies and last a prize to the two best volunteers in the program, how bad is that?

Stop being so negative about a show that is showing good people doing good things

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Pretentious, stupid show. The entire show is just about how brilliant they are. They would have done a hell of a lot more good in the country they were in if only one or two people went, they spent the rest on more materials and just taught the people there to build their own houses.

He was being an arse, the houses aren't meant to meet the standards of what we have here.
    Some real life Aid worker interviewed on the show criticised the group for favouring that guy Ignatius for being friendly with them when he doesn't respect the culture of Zambia!

mr jack wrote: »

Dory, how did it make a mockery of volunteering in Africa? That's how Habitat build every house, they get a group in, and a build a house. The only difference here is that it was televised. Me thinks you are a typical begrudger.

The point of this show is first off for RTE to provide entertainment(as is their want), secondly to show the people at home what volunteering can involve, thirdly give some exposure to the different aid agencies and last a prize to the two best volunteers in the program, how bad is that?

Stop being so negative about a show that is showing good people doing good things

Begrudger? In what way? You think I want to be on the telly? Or be a volunteer in Africa?

I have volunteered abroad for years, ran an NGO, now work for the UN. But that's besides the point. I'm just telling you how aid workers (and I've spoken to many) see it.

I understand how someone who knows nothing about the aid industry could view it. So enjoy, I'll say no more. :rolleyes:

PS. It does not show what volunteering involves. No more than The Apprentice shows what it's like to work in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 oirland

Pretentious, stupid show. The entire show is just about how brilliant they are. They would have done a hell of a lot more good in the country they were in if only one or two people went, they spent the rest on more materials and just taught the people there to build their own houses.

Except perhaps they can build their own houses - were Zambians waiting around for thousands of years for Irish people to come over to show them how to do it?!
    The assumptions that are intrinsically bound up with this sort of thing... Poor helpless Africans (the particular country in Africa is irrelevant because Africa is clearly a homogeneous monocultural continent anyway) waiting to be saved by Irish people.

Check out 'How to Write about Africa' by Binyavanga Wainaina - great piece: http://www.granta.com/Magazine/92/How-to-Write-about-Africa/Page-1

Sorry I don't get it Dory. In what way did they misrepresent Zambia? What so far hasn't been what volunteering might be like?

I agree ore focus could be on the action and less talking about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 oirland

In what way did they misrepresent Zambia?.

It depicts Zambia as a cause rather than a country

• Registered Users Posts: 23,508 ✭✭✭✭ted1

it creates awareness
    which is always a positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Quiet a good show. I would agree that there is too much talk. The second ep could have been more about the Charity work that they were doing on behalf of Habitat for Humanity in Zambia. Of course this isn't Katherine Thomas on Safari. I think the mistake made here was that many people seemed to think Zambia was the issue rather then the charity and that the volunteers could have been sent to any country, in the same way was the 50 volunteers worked here in Ireland at Barretstown. The 3rd episode was enjoyable but again too much talk, I think their mentor point out some good issues with the selection process.

I didn't realize that in real life kidnappers picsulate their faces :)

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Luis21

Its just another vehicle for (Daddys big in RTE) Lucy Kennedy. Oh and yer man Baz must have some pull because there is no reason why he should EVER be on our screens.

If somebody tried to pitch that idea to me I'd laugh my head off.

• Advertisement

Luis21 wrote: »
    Its just another vehicle for (Daddys big in RTE) Lucy Kennedy. Oh and yer man Baz must have some pull because there is no reason why he should EVER be on our screens.

Lucy Kennedy's dad is not big in RTÉ, I think he was a member of a showband at one time.

I was genuinely surprised that neither presenter took over the show as their own vehicle.

They should have a reality TV show for a group of Zambians competing to get a job here in Spar.

Nolanger wrote: »
    They should have a reality TV show for a group of Zambians competing to get a job here in Spar.

It's called the Apprentice they could be the token foreigners for the show :D

But again the episode nor the series IMO has any thing to do with Zambia or the situation in that country, rather it was about the work that Habitat for Humanity do, how ever I imagine that HfH do allot more work with the community, but then I cannot say since this series didn't highlight that, this to me would be the more infuriating part of that episode, rather then them going to Zambia it could have been any country including the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Actual Paramedic

So who is gonna win?

Think the 2 who got voted out were sent packing as they seemed to be too much of a couple/pact. They defended the other in their respective groups.

That Cavan woman is a fighter, wouldn't want to cross her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 iaminminsk

Interesting show. I agree though that volunteering shouldn't be a prize. Lets hope the winners show that talking behind other peoples backs dosen't pay either, especially in volunteering. Wouldn't like to cross the professional tutor, she's taking no prisioners. Good to see them all on the beach this week, baz had a great way of pronouncing baby turtles:D

iaminminsk wrote: »
    Interesting show. I agree though that volunteering shouldn't be a prize. Lets hope the winners show that talking behind other peoples backs dosen't pay either, especially in volunteering. Wouldn't like to cross the professional tutor, she's taking no prisioners. Good to see them all on the beach this week, baz had a great way of pronouncing baby turtles:D

I was disappointed this week, would have liked to have known more about the Turtles. I think the expert mentor is right she is looking for Volunteer not a Winner.

Elmo wrote: »
    I was disappointed this week, would have liked to have known more about the Turtles.

Yeh thought it was an awful episode, it was all about the bitching and the group dynamics turning sour.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Actual Paramedic

Awaiting tomorrow night, my pick to go is the Museum guide Fiona from the girls. And Iggie from the lads. Not sure why but reckon they might.

So all the experts were brought in for the start and only the Haven lady left, surely they should be picking who stays as otherwise its personalities been picked?

So all the experts were brought in for the start and only the Haven lady left, surely they should be picking who stays as otherwise its personalities been picked?

Yeah they should be there to at least review what the people have said and then perhaps make a judgement as to who is going.

• Advertisement

Saving those stupid baby turtles shows what's wrong with these charities. It's called natural selection and humans should not interfere.

Advertisement