Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE: Do the right thing

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Nolanger wrote: »
    Saving those stupid baby turtles shows what's wrong with these charities. It's called natural selection and humans should not interfere.

Can i ask what you meant by that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Can you not see what they're doing is wrong? They should let nature take its course instead of helping all those turtles into the sea. Doing what they did might seem charitable but it's not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Can you not see what they're doing is wrong? They should let nature take its course instead of helping all those turtles into the sea. Doing what they did might seem charitable but it's not.

It called avoiding extinction of a species,What happens next is natures way.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I don't see a problem with keeping a species alive next you will be telling us to stop building roads (oh look I just turn that around :) )

They'd be better off writing a letter to the Pope asking him to consider turtles as meat instead of fish as they're eaten a lot during Lent! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

They'd be better off writing a letter to the Pope asking him to consider turtles as meat instead of fish as they're eaten a lot during Lent! :D

Perhaps they should be farmed, after all farming is nature and in no way interferes with the earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭DementoR

Hey does anyone know the name of that classic song that was playing while they were showing the volunteers stage show and that,ive heard it on a few adverts and that before but would love to know what its called!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

dory wrote: »
    From the perspective of someone who works in the aid sector, I think the show is an absolute disgrace and makes a mockery of volunteering abroad. And that is the opinion of everybody I know who also works in this area.
    It's not meant to be some prize you win. It's no wonder voluntering abroad has recently got a terrible name with people just popping over for two weeks to play with a hammer.

I know no one who would watch it will probably give a crap what any development worker thinks, but this is a embarrassment to us. And I've had a few Zambians already lamblast me for how this show is making their country look.
    good post dory although people popping over for two weeks is still contributing!
    I know of people that do that on their hols each year and I think it's generous and selfless

completely get what you're saying though it kinda takes the humanity out of it when they're "competing"

only saw part of one show but there was a guy who was very ignorant and disrespectful of the country and it's people and then other contestants were saying how nice he was :confused:

99% of the time if there is a camera rolling things are done for effect and you'll never get to see anything genuine IMO

Strange there's no college degree in charity work available in Ireland?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Strange there's no college degree in charity work available in Ireland?

Well there is the Food Science and International Development course in Cork.

But really, no charity wants someone with a degree in charity work, or international development. They wants managers, accountants, web builders. Then some who have their own projects abroad wants teachers, plumbers, doctors, engineers, nurses etc. I've no doubt more and more development degrees will come on stream, but I can tell you my own experience of hiring people for this work, having a degree in it would not help one bit. I'd just think the person is a generalist and not know much about any one aspect of the job.

The usual route to get into this career is degree in anything, then a masters in International Development or International Relations. For my job a masters was the minimum requirement.

• Advertisement

Anyone still watching this? Ignatious is gone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

I think the lads in the final are really weak (harsh on the younger fella but I don't think he is ready yet) and shows the big flaw in getting the contestants to vote people off, while it is dramatic something similar but less aggressive like the Apprentice would probably have worked better in getting the best contestants and the drama aspect would remain. Even the girl who left in the last show was the strongest of the three.

Still! Looking foreword to the final!

Survival of the blandest!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 mr jack

Yea it could be said alright that the male volunteers in the final mightn't be the strongest but one of those girls will have to spend a whole year with the person and if he was anyway annoying it'd be a long year. Think that's the reason most of the lads got voted off.

In fairness any of the last 3 girls could've won it and the two that are there seem perfectly capable volunteers

The girl who wasn't selected to go into the show initially won!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

The girl who wasn't selected to go into the show initially won!

What?

Advertisement