Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

home storage for photos.

• 15-09-2010 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

just wondering if anybody uses there xbox 360 or ps3 to store there pictures on. if so is there a way to do it other than by usb key sticks?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I use my PS3, Windows Media Player 11 will act as a file server for you to either stream or copy them over, and the HD is very easily increasable on them

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭dubhoop

thanks tallon. i have a 360 elite. will my windows laptop beable to sync straight with it or do i need anything else.

I'm actually not sure tbh. I do know that its much harder / costly to upgrade the HD on the 360

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭Maj Malfunction

You should be able to plug in a standard external hard drive into an XBOX 360 and use that to store your photographs and would be a much cheaper option than upgrading the XBOX 360 hard drive itself. A 1TB external hard drive should only set you back around €80-€100.

You should be able to plug in a standard external hard drive into an XBOX 360 and use that to store your photographs and would be a much cheaper option than upgrading the XBOX 360 hard drive itself. A 1TB external hard drive should only set you back around €80-€100.

360 doesn't seem to recognise external hard drives (or at least my one doesn't anyway).

Also, I believe you need Windows Media Centre to do it via your computer?

• Advertisement

cheers folks. all set up and done really easy to do. my laptop picked up the xbox and hey presto. once again thank you.

What way did you do it?

Tallon wrote: »
    What way did you do it?

i used my brother wireless adaptor and followed the link it gave me on the xbox and thats it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

360 doesn't seem to recognise external hard drives (or at least my one doesn't anyway).

Also, I believe you need Windows Media Centre to do it via your computer?

It should after the latest update.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Unless your photo's are not really important to you then do not trust them to being stored in just one place. Store them in different places so that if a disk crashes you still have them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 GalwayMarion

I have them all on an external HD and quite a few on CD and I still have nightmares about fires and stuff. Should buy another external HD, which I store somewhere off site. But indeed it is best to store them somewhere, twice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

When ISP's are offering a decent upload speed with all services (Maybe 5mb+) backing up will be easy, Something like a pix.ie/flickr pro account won't set you back much, And I'm sure in the future lightroom/aperture will be able to automatically back up everything once a day to a hard drive and a website. At the moment, Upload speed isn't good enough for large back ups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

25GB Blu Ray blank media is relatively cheap now as are Blu Ray DVD burners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Unless your photo's are not really important to you then do not trust them to being stored in just one place. Store them in different places so that if a disk crashes you still have them.
    I have them all on an external HD and quite a few on CD and I still have nightmares about fires and stuff. Should buy another external HD, which I store somewhere off site. But indeed it is best to store them somewhere, twice!

Why do people always sh*t themselves about disks failing? I have been working in IT for 15 years, usually with a lot of different PCs, and I have never seen a disk failure. I recently bought a Netgear Stora (a baby NAS) and while looking at reviews I was struck by how many people mentioned disk failure...If you're really that concerned, the safest thing to do is not take any pictures :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Why do people always sh*t themselves about disks failing?

Because they fail ? It's rare enough nowadays, that's for sure, but they do fail, and if you've got all your stuff on the one drive and it fails catastrophically then you'll be retaking all those precious memories all over again. If you're in business then you'd better make SURE all those client pics are backed up redundantly or alternatively make sure your professional indemnity insurance is up to date :)

I've had a couple of drives completely corrupt on me in about 20 years or so, and a fair number of individual file corruptions and bad sectors. In an astonishingly unlucky event only a couple of months ago in work two drives in a RAID-2 array failed simultaneously, forcing us to revert to offsite backups from the night before. A corporate situation is obviously different, but if we'd been relying only on that initial RAID store as our only redundant backup there would have been a lot of red faces around the office the next day ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

I have been working in IT for 15 years, usually with a lot of different PCs, and I have never seen a disk failure.

Jaysus you're lucky! I've seen a few fail in my time, but the main point is that I'd rather have a belt and braces approach than have one point of failure -it's why you'd take 2 camera bodies on assignment etc etc -it might not happen, but if it does you're covered

Why do people always sh*t themselves about disks failing? I have been working in IT for 15 years, usually with a lot of different PCs, and I have never seen a disk failure. I recently bought a Netgear Stora (a baby NAS) and while looking at reviews I was struck by how many people mentioned disk failure...If you're really that concerned, the safest thing to do is not take any pictures :D

I worked in a computer manufacturing company for ~5 years and returned literally hundreds of failed/failing hdd's to the manufactures over that time frame. Generally there is enough prior warning that the disc is on it's way out, however.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

mine failed last week...lost everything. not happy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

mine failed last week...lost everything. not happy

you weren't using a good backup method? have you not heard of the risks of hardware failure ? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Something like a NAS is probably a lot safer than an external hard drive I'd assume.

An external hard drive will probably be moved and knocked quite a lot in it's life time, Which I'd assume doesn't help the life of the hard disk.

Where as a NAS stored in a secure, stable and dry location will be subject to very few factors that might shorten it's life?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

Drives fail all the time. I've never had one die personally, but I know that drive failure is a possibility if not a certainty.

The advantage of digital media is that it's possible to perfectly duplicate something as many times as you wish without suffering loss of information. With that in mind, the only reasonable storage/backup strategy is to store your data in multiple locations and migrate it to new storage media when they become available. Using one storage medium like optical disks or hard drives in a NAS as your only copy of your data is a patently bad idea. Speaking of optical disks, I really don't understand how anyone even considers using them for storage. Writeable CD/DVD media have been proven to have a surprisingly poor archival shelf life, despite what was said about them years ago, and the headaches that come from managing and verifying data across multiple physical disks, even Blu-Ray disks, make it very difficult to actually use them for a good backup strategy.

I think the TL;DR backup strategy is: at least two copies of everything important on different physical devices and at least a third additional copy stored somewhere physically distant from the other two.

I have files on a bunch of cd/dvd discs that are over 10 years old at this stage and work fine. So long as you use good media and store them carefully they are a handy option for supplementing your main storage devices.
    I keep the RAW files on my storage devices (multiple external and internal HDD's) and have now begun burning the files to Blu ray as a further redundancy measure.
    About 3 years ago I had an old 500GB HDD fail without warning...fortunately I'd 90% of those files backed up elsewhere. My brother in law wasn't so lucky. He lost hundreds of his images including all his honeymoon pics due to hdd failure.
    External HDD storage is relatively cheap (I bought a 1tb Western Digital Elements external drive for ~€50 recently), so there's no excuse to not have some form of backup.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I had all my RAW files on an External 1TB HDD to bring them to Australia. The second week after I arrived the HDD stopped working. I was lucky in that it was the driver board in the case which was the problem & transferring the disk into a new case worked. I went down to the shops and bought a 2TB RAID drive and am running that in RAID1 now.

Scared the photons out of me!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

you weren't using a good backup method? have you not heard of the risks of hardware failure ? :rolleyes:

not mood for that shizzle mate... literally tearful still

Bad news Mele.

When mine failed I was not good company for a while until I was able to do the recovery.

i have plenty of back up for my pictures alright. but when i have 120gig sitting doing noting i decided to use that also. cheers for all the advice

CabanSail wrote: »
    Bad news Mele.

When mine failed I was not good company for a while until I was able to do the recovery.

i've tried all forms of software recovery....no avail... i have an identical external drive so once i calm down over it, i'm gonna attempt a recovery swapping parts

i've tried all forms of software recovery....no avail... i have an identical external drive so once i calm down over it, i'm gonna attempt a recovery swapping parts

Try taking the HDD out of the case and connecting it as a slave drive to a PC using a standard Sata cable (or IDE cable if it's an older type HDD).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭RoryW

not mood for that shizzle mate... literally tearful still

Did you try any Computer IT companies that may have alternate ways to try to recover the data ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement