Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

9am lectures

Options
  • 15-09-2010 12:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭

do you think it would be that bad if i just decided to never really attend my 9am lectures. i have 2 days were im in at 9 and its really not worth the effort.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Depends on the subjects, and whether you are willing to catch up on what you have missed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

d10carter wrote: »
    do you think it would be that bad if i just decided to never really attend my 9am lectures. i have 2 days were im in at 9 and its really not worth the effort.

Yes, stupid idea. Suck it up and go to the lectures. You started secondary at around 9am anyway so you are used to starting school that early anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

It would be worth the effort, don't give yourself an unnecessary mountain to climb when exams come around.

Go to bed early the night before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭d10carter

yeah but there is like a difference because once we were in for 9 we had a set day whereas in college i have like 3 hr break between 9am and nxt lecture. i dont live that far away but not really close enough to make it worth going home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

If it's maths or something technical, I'd advise going. Also if there's no notes posted it'd be retarded not to go......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

If you live relatively close and can make it in for 9am without too much difficulty (aside from getting up) then you should at least try. If you miss the occasional one then no big deal. But deciding right now that you aren't going to bother going to any of them is probably a bad way to start the year.

I got up at 6.30 this morning to make it in for my 9am lecture and a series of bus disasters meant I only got in a few minutes ago. I have four 9am lectures this year and I can see myself missing quite a few of them due to public transport. And by the time DB are finished f**king around with routes it'll probably be even more unreliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

I actually like having 9am lectures. The campus is nice when you're in early. Just get out of bed and come in - it'll be worth it later in the term.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

I actually like having 9am lectures. The campus is nice when you're in early. Just get out of bed and come in - it'll be worth it later in the term.

Agree with this. One can actually get parking at that time too. In saying that, I missed my 9 o'clock lecture this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Going in for 9am lectures is a sign of manliness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

What subject is it? If the notes are on blackboard then don't bother.

economics. i'll be defo going in for quantitive economics but for micro and macro its all pretty easy imo

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I don't know if you're in 1st year or not, but I had 1st year Microeconomics this morning at 9am (probably the same lecture as you) and I found it tricky enough. There were a lot of figures on the slides that needed to be explained - if you were just reading those notes on blackboard you would get lost very fast. You would seriously regret not going when it comes to the exams in October and December - things pile up very fast.

Often people who don't go to lectures end up repeating in the summer - this isn't a great solution though as it ruins your summer and the results are capped, so even if you do really well your GPA is capped (as far as I know, I'm only new to this university thing!).

I know how you feel though - the large gaps can be annoying. I had Economics at 9am this morning and nothing until 2pm. I'm just reading over the notes I took in the lectures and getting something to eat. Go to the library, take your laptop or find a book related to the topic you are doing, sit down somewhere (there are loads of seats and desks on level 2 as well as the other floors) and just pass the time that way. It will be beneficial, and you will be extremely grateful when the exams come around.

I have four 9am starts, so it's a bit of a pain. I have friends here that have to get up at 6.15 to make the 9am starts, simply because they live in an area of unreliable transport.

yeah man that sounds like my lecture. haha doesn't sound too good will prob have to attend from now on.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

I missed a lot of my 9am lectures last year. For some classes it really affected my grade - it was quite difficult to catch up. For others it was grand as the lectures were a bit crap anyway. At the least I'd advise going for a few weeks til you get the feel of them and see how worth your time they are. In the end it's work you'll need to catch up on anyway, so best scope out in advance if you think it's worth it.

Btw, if the lecturer doesn't use blackboard, for god's sake GO! You'll be pulling out hair at exam time otherwise.

[P.s. I don't condone skipping lectures, but sometimes it is really hard to pull yourself out of bed at 6.30 for a really crap 9am lecture).

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Blacey

Hmmm, if this was a job and not college, and you were supposed to be in at 9, you'd be in at 9. Suck it up and go.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Often people who don't go to lectures end up repeating in the summer - this isn't a great solution though as it ruins your summer and the results are capped, so even if you do really well your GPA is capped (as far as I know, I'm only new to this university thing!).

UCD doesn't have summer repeats, you repeat them with xmas or summer exams. So it ruins your next semester. Repeat grades are capped at 2.0, so even if you get an A+, you'll only get the GPA of a D-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭damselnat

When I read this first, I was like, if you're in 1st year, nah, don't go.....there was one particular elective that I had early, I went to one in the whole semester, did the work to catch up, and passed. Then I saw you said microeconomics.....take it from a 3rd year econ student, go. Missing lectures in economics anyway, while much more interesting and fun than attending them, is never a great idea, even if you do spend the entire thing yawning, thinking about food and trying not to be caught checking out the odd hottie here and there....

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Rii

Aah, don't be lazy! ;) I have to get a 6:30 bus to make it in for my 9am lectures three days in a row this semester, it's gonna be four 9am starts next semester. I had to get up at 5:10 this morning. Suck it up, some people have it worse :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

As one of the few remaining workers whose taxes are paying for your education & I get up at 06:30 five days a week ... get to fxxk out of the scratcher & go to your lecturers ... lazy bloody student wasters. :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Callan57 wrote: »
    As one of the few remaining workers whose taxes are paying for your education & I get up at 06:30 five days a week ... get to fxxk out of the scratcher & go to your lecturers ... lazy bloody student wasters. :mad::mad::mad:
    Well ideally they'd be paying it back with their taxes once they're qualified and have a job.

Ideally

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bigred100

Vicious circle...the plan is for my taxes to pay for the next generations education.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭craggles

Best approach to this is to go the first few weeks and evaluate it. If you're getting literally nothing out of the lectures then you're better off not going. I had a few second year maths modules that were like this and I passed them off my own back when the time came.

If you get anything at all out of the lectures then suck it up and go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

I'd recommend doing a bit of study during the time you don't have classes.

With breaks like that, I'm guessing it's an arts degree. In this climate, you'd want to be getting a first. Otherwise you're just wasting three years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Scrappychimow

What the hell are you doing perving in a students forum sicko!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

As one of the mods of this forum, you're banned.
    What the hell are you doing perving in a students forum sicko!
    You too.

Said it time and again kiddies, personal abuse is not tolerated, attack the post not the poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

I skipped a lot of 1st year economics because I assumed that since leaving cert econ wasn't a prerequisite that I'd have done it all before. It moved fast, and it took some different directions. It did not turn out very well.
    The course may have changed since 6 years ago (I wish I hadn't just counted that out :( ), but in case that's the reason you're figuring it's easy, just be careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

I've got all 9am starts.

Anyway, stop being a lazy bastard and go in. The worst that can happen is you learn what you're supposed to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 chair

i can get up at 5 to 9 and still be on time for a 9 o clock, oh yeah

Advertisement