Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

9am lectures

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Just man up and go to them... and then fall asleep during them, like I used to always do :(

I didn't live close-by though, so had to get up at 6.30 or somethin to get 2 buses :mad: Goddamn you 17...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭d10carter

But guys to get into a 9am lecture I have to like get up at 8am :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

I didn't go to my 9am's in second year (which wasn't counting towards my degree BTW) and was pretty much one full subject missed. It wasn't a semesterised subject so we only had a summer exam. Having said that I freaked out a bit around exam time due to the lack of attendance but crammed like fuck and got a pretty good grade.

Do what you want TBH but if it's a year that's gonna count, maybe rethink staying in the scratcher.

And I thought this would be appropriate:

trlht.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

d10carter wrote: »

Jesus wept....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Poor you. Some people have to commute very long distances every day to get to UCD and you don't see them coming onto Boards and complaining about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

You dont know how lucky you are. I have to get up at 7:30 for a 10am lecture and there a lot who are worse off than me.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bigred100

I'm up at 7 for 9am starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

There should be a 9am starts club.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

I'm up at half 6 regardless of when my first lecture is (three 9's and two 10's)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

It depends whether you care about doing well or not. Passing without attending lectures is very doable (depending on the module, of course).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

do you think it would be that bad if i just decided to never really attend my 9am lectures. i have 2 days were im in at 9 and its really not worth the effort.

Dear God man, my Mon to Wed first term was 9am starts! I was 5 months pregnant and had to get up at 6.30 to get in on time, man up for God's sake.
    Xhristy wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    Agreed, I had a 5 hour wait between 2 lectures, I was ahead on all of the projects and everything, because I would get lunch and go to the library and get it done, when everyone was freaking thay they had 12 hours to do a large project, mine was handed in with nearly a week. It meant I could relax and go home early on the days I was finished early. (One day a week I was in for 9 and finished at 11, some weeks only though:( ) Home and all for 1, full days study done and all by 6 :D

Build a little bridge and get over it!!!! Be grateful thats all you have to do! One of the girls I knew had to drive from home and she would be in the car for 5.30!!!! (Shocked to hear that came in an AM to be honest!)
    Chet T16 wrote: »
    I'm up at half 6 regardless of when my first lecture is (three 9's and two 10's)

And like me Chet you haven't even a quiet and relaxing home to come home to, you have a little baba that means you have study and a child to juggle!

Some people dont actually realise that there is a few people on college have a lot more factors in their lives other that a 8am wake up.

When you go to work after this you could have to be out of bed at 6! See it as a lie in in that respect! ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Lads, I reckon d10carter was being sarcastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Go to Micro!!!!! Take it from someone who made this mistake last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

I've had 6.45am starts coupled with lunch during a lecture and 6pm finishes, followed by study. Get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭spadesaspade

get yourlazy ass in there, you will most prob have to be in work from 9 if your lucky to have a job that easy. Enjoy your early mornings, poor thing

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭rantyface

If you're too lazy to go to 9 am starts, I don't know how you plan to manage your finals.

You might as well give up now! You can pass 1st and 2nd year without much work, but then in 3rd and 4th year when you're presumed to know a lot from those years you'll be screwed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭sassypsych

unknown13 wrote: »
    Poor you. Some people have to commute very long distances every day to get to UCD and you don't see them coming onto Boards and complaining about it.

:D Ok I will be one of those....get up at 4.30am, leave house at 5.15 to get in for 9am and I have 9am starts everyday :p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

9AM starts get on my títs.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I actually like 9am starts because they get me out of bed, therefore I can get more done. I hate the feeling of getting up at around 11 and feeling that you have wasted the whole morning - I find that I'm never as productive/energetic etc.

9am starts can be a bit annoying if going out the night before, but starting your night our early and finishing it early works very well - obviously it's not always applicable, but you get the idea.

Once you get in a routine getting up at 9am won't be much of an issue. Sure we did it for 5 years of secondary school - and that was with a lot more hours per week than college (for most people).

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭snooleen

I'm also one of those :p 5.30/6am starts, 7 on Wednesdays (how grateful I am for that). Whatever about missing a lecture or class here and there, we all do it and have done. We've had days when the outside world just isn't going to be our friend, but if you're not gonna catch up, that's silly. I know that if I ever take a day off/go in late on purpose I'll find it daunting to try and catch up without anything being explained to me. That's why I'll try to avoid it. I worked hard for my place here, dammit, so I'm gonna try my hardestest. I don't have experience with this theory in relation to college, but I would think that it would be easier to go to a lecture and pay attention, even if you don't always complete homework/little assignments/do your reading than it would be if you were to purposely skip the lecture. As then you wouldn't know where to start when trying to do assignments and hence, wouldn't bother. At least in the first one you've learned something for exams? That's how I'd feel anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I start work at 9am every weekday, and 3 out of 5 weekdays I'm in college until 10pm.

Suck it up tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Blacey

Suck it up and go!

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

I am not going to preach to you about the importance of making a 9a.m lecture. What I would say is that if you don't see yourself making it into the class because you can't be bothered, perhaps have some consideration for those who wanted to take that module and couldn't. If it is an elective, and you don't intend attending, let someone who wants to do that module have the chance to.

Advertisement