Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RF TV over Cat5

Options
  • 15-09-2010 2:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I have SKY box in attic and distribute signal to various TVs in house through typical Co-ax cables and connection.

I now have a TV in the kitchen but no easy way to get the signal to it, without chasing newly plastered walls !!! However, I may have a potential solution. I have a pair of CAT 5 cables running to a blank panal at back of the new wall mounted TV. I can get the TV signal on CO-AX to the input Plate for these 2 cables. If it helps I also have an AMP at this input point so can take audio to speakers in the ceilings of kitchen, however, that would be an added bonus, not 100% necessary.

Question :

Could I use this to get the SKY TV signal to the TV?
    If yes, what do I need exactly?
    Cat 5 is unterminated at boths side so will need advise on that also !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭yomamasflavour

I have SKY box in attic and distribute signal to various TVs in house through typical Co-ax cables and connection.

I now have a TV in the kitchen but no easy way to get the signal to it, without chasing newly plastered walls !!! However, I may have a potential solution. I have a pair of CAT 5 cables running to a blank panal at back of the new wall mounted TV. I can get the TV signal on CO-AX to the input Plate for these 2 cables. If it helps I also have an AMP at this input point so can take audio to speakers in the ceilings of kitchen, however, that would be an added bonus, not 100% necessary.

Question :

Could I use this to get the SKY TV signal to the TV?
    If yes, what do I need exactly?
    Cat 5 is unterminated at boths side so will need advise on that also !!

You need 2 baluns. Something like
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/CCTV-Cam-Camera-Bnc-Video-Balun-Transceiver-RJ45-Cat5-/130422579154?pt=UK_Gadgets&hash=item1e5dca9fd2

They're required as the impedance of RF cable (co-ax) is different to that of Cat 5.

You'd just use standard cat 5 wall plates. Then connect cat 5 patch cables from the wall-plates to the baluns. Then connect one of the baluns to the T.V and the other balun to the co-ax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 healyma

Hi,

You probably wont be able to use a co-ax balun for this as they are designed to transmit s-video or component signals. The co-ax from your distribution box is probably connected to the RF2 output.

If your sky box and cat-5 cables are both in the attic, you could send a scart or component signal over the cat-5 using a balun and down to the kitchen. Online shops and larger electrical outlets should have these in stock and I'd imagine they would be reasonably inexpensive. Just google "scart over Cat-5".

With regards termination, many of the baluns use standard RJ-45 terminations.

Hope it helps
    Mark

Advertisement