Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy throwing up

Options
  • 15-09-2010 5:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone can help me out here.
    Have a 13wk old border collie, very healthy and happy and active!

However he got sick twice tonight. Sitting in front of fireplace he started kinda heaving then threw up (very small amount) on rug, it was yellow but just like foam, not at all solid.

I just bought him outside for a min and cleaned up rug. After some fresh air I bought him back inside but half hour later he ran to back door and started heaving again so opened door, he ran to end of garden and got sick again.

Left him outside for bout 20mins gave him milk and just kinda rubbed his tummy for a while. He was fine then again for rest of the night but he has never gotten sick before, not even when we got him at just under 8wks and drove him home (1hr drive)

We had him on puppy nuts for first few wks but when that bag ran out and I went to buy more the shop was sold out so got him another brand. He ate both no prob but I bought more food yesterday and got the original brand as this is what girl in shop recommended for nutrients etc. so he's back on them since yesterday. This is only change in diet but he was fine on them before so can't see how it'd affect him now?

Any ideas what caused it? Could it be the change back to other nuts?
    Does it sound serious or am I stressing over nothing??

Appreciate any feedback:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Firstly i hope your puppy is feeling better. I would imagine its because you changed over the food so suddenly. Any changes in diet are meant to be done very gradually, over the space of a week or 2, so the fact you did it so suddenly will cause the pups tummy to be upset. You really need to be very careful with diet and any changes should be done very slowly.

Secondly, you shouldnt feed your dog milk as dogs are lactose intolerant and it can make them sick so just stick to water.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

My pup (well his 14 months old now) got sick this morning - a button and some twigs! :rolleyes:
    When our guy gets sick I soak his food in water so it's easier on his tummy. As long as the pup seems ok I'd hold off and see how he gets on. If he's eaten someting dodgey he may just need to bring it back up - this happened to our guy a few months ago. He was sick over the weekend and eventually threw up what looked like piece of a rubber glove :eek: then he was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

Definitely continue to feed your pup puppy nuts (not adult) and avoid milk as they can't really digest it. Also, dogs have an easier vomit reflex than people do, so it's not uncommon for a dog to vomit in a situation where it's not ill, just ate something it shouldn't, etc. Unless the pup is vomiting regularly , not interested in food, dull, etc, I wouldn't worry too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

andreac wrote: »
    Firstly i hope your puppy is feeling better. I would imagine its because you changed over the food so suddenly. Any changes in diet are meant to be done very gradually, over the space of a week or 2, so the fact you did it so suddenly will cause the pups tummy to be upset. You really need to be very careful with diet and any changes should be done very slowly.

Secondly, you shouldnt feed your dog milk as dogs are lactose intolerant and it can make them sick so just stick to water.
    Oh man! I thought I knew all the stuff NOT to give him...looked up big long lists of foods not to give him but didn't know about milk!

Please don't judge me...I'm still learning!:o

Thanks a mill for your response

Advertisement