Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nikon announcements

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Oh God! Somebody hide my credit card!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

STG£1700 seems steep for a 35mm f1.4.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

I have been waiting for the d7000 to be released, i hope it brings the price of used d90s down a bit, id like one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

STG£1700 seems steep for a 35mm f1.4.

what about £5300 for the 200 f2? :eek: Unfortunately, looks like it'll be on my wish list for a while yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭ttcomet

Chase Jarvis has pictures and videos from the D7000 up on his blog. Not that I am looking longingly at Nikon gear or anything, I am not even curious about it :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

eas wrote: »
    what about £5300 for the 200 f2? :eek: Unfortunately, looks like it'll be on my wish list for a while yet.
    there's an easy comparison to make on the 35mm, though - the 35mm f1.8 is €200 or thereabouts in gunns. a tenfold increase in price for less than a stop (and i would assume better build quality) is very steep.
    the 50mm f1.4 is a fraction of the price too, and the 85mm f1.4, which would have a lot more glass in it, is cheaper.

if i was looking for a fast nikon prime, i wouldn't be looking at this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

there's an easy comparison to make on the 35mm, though - the 35mm f1.8 is €200 or thereabouts in gunns. a tenfold increase in price for less than a stop (and i would assume better build quality) is very steep.

You're probably thinking of the 35mm f/2 which is the non-DX 35mm Nikon have in their lineup at the moment, which is a little more expensive, but yeah, this new one is pretty pricey.

It -is- a dramatically new and different optical design though, aspherical elements included, focuses down to 30cm etc etc. Plus it's AFS. Looks like they really pulled the stops out on it design wise. Compare pictures of the two, this new f/1.4 one is HUGE by comparison with the old f/2 version.

In addition I'd say once it goes on general sale it'll likely be cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

Am I the only one that's really not pushed by HD video at all? It seems to suddenly be all the rage, and puts a further premium onto the cost of a new body.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

My easy comparison for the 200 2.0 is the cost of the current lens us around 3K, cost of the new one will be 5.3k. That's a pretty big jump.

The new 85 1.4 is listed to be 1.5K.
    The 24 1.4 is around 2k.

:eek::eek:

eas wrote: »
    My easy comparison for the 200 2.0 is the cost of the current lens us around 3K, cost of the new one will be 5.3k. That's a pretty big jump.

The new 85 1.4 is listed to be 1.5K.
    The 24 1.4 is around 2k.

:eek::eek:

That's nothing, try pricing the old 28mm f/1.4 if you can find it on EBay, or look at the completed auctions to see what it goes for. Or at least USED to go for, I'd say the combination of the 24mm & 35mm f/1.4 has probably completely destroyed its resale value now ...

Now if only all those people with 85mm f/1.4 AFDs would start dumping their old lenses on EBay and buying the new AFS version I'd be a happy man :D

• Advertisement

You're probably thinking of the 35mm f/2 which is the non-DX 35mm Nikon have in their lineup at the moment, which is a little more expensive, but yeah, this new one is pretty pricey.
    i was thinking of this one, but it is a DX only lens:
    http://www.connscameras.ie/nikon-afs-35mm-f1-8g-dx-lens/4960759025821pd.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

i was thinking of this one, but it is a DX only lens:
    http://www.connscameras.ie/nikon-afs-35mm-f1-8g-dx-lens/4960759025821pd.html

That one is a fantastic little lens (I got one the other day), but it is a DX and so a good bit cheaper than the FX ones, but then I've no plans (or cash!) to go Full Frame in the near future so it's great for me!

yeah, i have one too.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

nikon really has to sort out their flashes. i dont like the sb900, it overheats very easily, the sb600 is very featureless, I got a sb800 before it discontinued, and i honestly dont think i'd buy any other flash, i'm looking for a second one online now second hand and the fact its still holding 80% minimum of its value shows.
    34mm 1.4, would be super... whats pretty wide ap for such a wide angle lens.

nikon really has to sort out their flashes. i dont like the sb900, it overheats very easily, the sb600 is very featureless, I got a sb800 before it discontinued, and i honestly dont think i'd buy any other flash, i'm looking for a second one online now second hand and the fact its still holding 80% minimum of its value shows.
    34mm 1.4, would be super... whats pretty wide ap for such a wide angle lens.

I agree, they seem to be a bit all over the place with flash... so much so that I tend to use the cheaper Chinese flashes, which work pretty well (you can lose some of the iTTL features, but it's not such a big deal for me)

Just scanning the D7000 specs over lunch, here's one that's quite unexpected, it meters with AI lenses :confused:

After spending years disabling this in their consumer level bodies, Nikon have just unexpectedly put it back in, aperture following tab on the mount and all. Very bizarre.

Question - does the d7000 obsolete the d300s as well as the d90?

Also, will there be a d400 and what could they put in it that would outdo the d7000?

I can't wait to some ISO/noise reviews, I think this could be the jump I'm looking for from my d80.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Also, will there be a d400 and what could they put in it that would outdo the d7000?

I can't wait to some ISO/noise reviews, I think this could be the jump I'm looking for from my d80.

the x000's are below the x00's. A d300s is better than a d7000. as for d90... kinda last gen... but imo its abover the x000's too

i stand corrected the d7000 is fairly banging specs, tho would like to see a test first against a d700

Basically what melekalikimaka said, x000 are the consumer bodies, x00 are the pro/semi pro bodies, x0 are the flagship pro bodies.

The D90 is quite old now so was ripe for replacement, but this 7000 isn't particularly better than the D300s or D300 in my view, unless your mad for video. The D400 (or whatever it's called) is probably a year or so out, and I suspect it'll have a similar sensor to the D7000, and better ISO range (there's even an outside chance they'll go Full Frame on it).

In my view, the D300 and the D300s are better cameras, though not by much, and if you can get a bargain on a D90 it's possibly the best value at the moment so long as there isn't a killer feature in the D7000 you can't live without!

• Advertisement

Basically what melekalikimaka said, x000 are the consumer bodies, x00 are the pro/semi pro bodies, x0 are the flagship pro bodies.

The D90 is quite old now so was ripe for replacement, but this 7000 isn't particularly better than the D300s or D300 in my view, unless your mad for video. The D400 (or whatever it's called) is probably a year or so out, and I suspect it'll have a similar sensor to the D7000, and better ISO range (there's even an outside chance they'll go Full Frame on it).

In my view, the D300 and the D300s are better cameras, though not by much, and if you can get a bargain on a D90 it's possibly the best value at the moment so long as there isn't a killer feature in the D7000 you can't live without!

If the noise processing is much better than the d90 that would sell me on it, I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

Nikon are a long way from where they were three years ago.

they're 1095 days away from where they were three years ago, in fact.

they're 1095 days away from where they were three years ago, in fact.

1096 to be precise, 2008 was a leap year :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

NakedDex wrote: »
    Am I the only one that's really not pushed by HD video at all? It seems to suddenly be all the rage, and puts a further premium onto the cost of a new body.

For me I'm looking at getting something to produce quality video - i like my d300 , but soon need to start producing video , and like the idea of re-changeable lens

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Cook my sock

rowanh wrote: »
    I have been waiting for the d7000 to be released, i hope it brings the price of used d90s down a bit, id like one of them.
    same as, the D5000 just isnt doing it for me anymore :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Kbeg3

thebaz wrote: »
    For me I'm looking at getting something to produce quality video - i like my d300 , but soon need to start producing video , and like the idea of re-changeable lens

Same here

what's a re-changeable lens?

what's a re-changeable lens?

slr

• Advertisement

4 differen't d90's for sale on adverts - looks like it's begun!

a nice d800 is needed, d700 is a bit old, too old for me to be buying new this late in its cycle i think... just nothing about the fill the shoes, rumours of a d700x tho...fingers crossed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

How do these stack up against the canon range?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

a nice d800 is needed, d700 is a bit old, too old for me to be buying new this late in its cycle i think... just nothing about the fill the shoes, rumours of a d700x tho...fingers crossed

You've been listening to Conn's :)

Hugh_C wrote: »
    You've been listening to Conn's :)

i keep 30meters away from there at all times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Why so many people use Canon, Nikon are very steep for their quality lens.

• Advertisement

Why so many people use Canon, Nikon are very steep for their quality lens.

Canon have a great reputation for hd video, as I'm Nikon , I'm tempted by the 7000, trade in my d300, whenever i get some extra bobs - not worth moving to Canon for me

Advertisement