Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netbook Repair

• 15-09-2010 8:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi all,

can anyone tell me if it's possible to repair a cracked screen on an Advent 4211 Netbook? (long story short I stepped on it :() and if so any suggestions where I should take it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭junkster12345

Hi all,

can anyone tell me if it's possible to repair a cracked screen on an Advent 4211 Netbook? (long story short I stepped on it :() and if so any suggestions where I should take it?

i think a screen repair is expensive afaik and the long and short is you are better off getting a new one, or buy a 2nd hand one and remove the hard drive from the broken one and insert it into the new one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

Many screens contain mercury, so you should take it to the dump under WEEE for free disposal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

i think a screen repair is expensive afaik and the long and short is you are better off getting a new one, or buy a 2nd hand one and remove the hard drive from the broken one and insert it into the new one.

They're only expensive because people are greedy and like to rip other people off. You should be able to pick up a new screen on eBay for about €60 - €70. They're not that hard to replace, even if you don't know what you are doing.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Adyx wrote: »
    They're only expensive because people are greedy and like to rip other people off. You should be able to pick up a new screen on eBay for about €60 - €70. They're not that hard to replace, even if you don't know what you are doing.

Its not an area atm for a fee but in general pricing around for clients of mine, most businesses do charge a decent sum of money for the job! I guess there out there to make money rather then as a hobby!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Sully wrote: »
    Its not an area atm for a fee but in general pricing around for clients of mine, most businesses do charge a decent sum of money for the job! I guess there out there to make money rather then as a hobby!

I have no problem with people making money and certainly not with people charging for replacing a screen, but when it gets to the point where it is more worthwhile to replace the entire computer, that's when it becomes too much, especially when changing a screen in a laptop is only a few minutes work for someone competent.
    I admit I probably came across a bit harsh in my post and was generalising a bit, but in my experience (from talking to friends/family), there are plenty of computer repair places who are quite happy to take advantage of people who don't know any better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

You're paying for their experience that lets them do it in a few minutes.

Buying screen direct and installing yourself is worth it. Taking into a shop to get done isn't unless it's fairly new.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭razor_ryan

Buy your screen on Ebay bring it down to Waterford Micro Systems on the Mall they won't over charge you

Advertisement