Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4x4 to pull double horse box.

Options
  • 15-09-2010 8:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

I know this will depend on the type of double horsebox but what 4x4 would you generically recommend to pull a double horsebox?

I've been told:

-Landcruiser (the best)
    -Mitsubishi Pajero
    -Land Rover (useless)
    -Isuzu Trooper (trouble)
    -Suzuki Grand Vitara (not good enough)

Any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Sounds about right but double check the weight each model can tow as it can change between each one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

I know this will depend on the type of double horsebox but what 4x4 would you generically recommend to pull a double horsebox?

I've been told:

-Landcruiser (the best)
    -Mitsubishi Pajero
    -Land Rover (useless)
    -Isuzu Trooper (trouble)
    -Suzuki Grand Vitara (not good enough)

Any ideas?

Wouldnt discount the trooper at all. Just make sure you get the good engine. theres a 3 litre and a 3.1 litre and one of them is trouble and the other is brilliant.

Others to consider are the Hyundai Terracan and the Kia Sorento.

And yeah the Grand Vitara doesnt have a high enough towing capacity and I wouldnt get a landrover personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ashy4

Hi, just following the thread, am also looking for a 4x4 to tow, any thoughts on a toureg or a santa fe?. Will only be towing occasionally and will need the jeep as a work car also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 saphire1979

Bad reviews for towing.

fits wrote: »
    Wouldnt discount the trooper at all. Just make sure you get the good engine. theres a 3 litre and a 3.1 litre and one of them is trouble and the other is brilliant.

Others to consider are the Hyundai Terracan and the Kia Sorento.

And yeah the Grand Vitara doesnt have a high enough towing capacity and I wouldnt get a landrover personally.

Hyundai Terracan.
    Good reviews. Might consider this.

• Advertisement

Hi thanks for that. Ive seen quite a few around at competitions but will take into consideration. Hard to find a toureg with decent mileage and price!, any other thoughts?, friend uses a rav 4 to tow 2 regularly, but I'm sceptical!!!. Any advice gratefully received!

Rav 4 max tow weight is 1500 kg.Single horseboxes with a small poney maybe but I've heard that they are not that reliable.

No point having a car and horsebox that are just at the limit of towing, the car/jeep wont last long

Thanks for that, ideally would like a landcruiser but too big an engine. Ideally would like 7 seater, not much to ask really !! All for a budget of around 14k.

3 litre diesel for a start, a lot of the newer jeeps X5, Tourag and such all have electronic four wheel drive so getting stuck in a field is still a possibility. Maybe something like a Mitsibishi L200 or the Toyota Hi-Lux would suit at the budget? they are commercials and have small tax, but need DOE tests

• Advertisement

Thanks borderfox for the reply. Can't go into the 3 litre bracket for tax, so 2.5 is the max, plus with 4 kids commercial won't work either!!!. Will look at Mitsubishi tho, not looked at any yet so maybe something to suit in the range.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭silverfox88

ashy4 wrote: »
    Thanks for that, ideally would like a landcruiser but too big an engine. Ideally would like 7 seater, not much to ask really !! All for a budget of around 14k.

santa fe's are great, there are four of them in my yard, ranging from 2003 to 2006, all used to tow regularly; the 2003 one has been pulling a double horsebox with a 16.2 sport horse and a 15.2 most weekends for years, not a bother on it! bought one myself recently, 2005, all leather and every extra you could ask for with only 48000 miles, for just over 10k. make sure you get the diesel version though obviously, my 2.0 litre diesel is fantstically economical, not much more expensive to run than the old 1.0 petrol i had before it, so not too much of a drain on fuel! the 2.0 litre is great, strong enough to pull two horses but without going into the tax/insurance bracket of the 2.5/3.0.
    theres plenty of them for sale as well in varying price brackets, well worth considering!

Great! Thanks for that, was one I was hoping would suit and there us a 7 seater version also, have heard some bad reviews, but now am hearing more good than bad! So I'll be looking out for one now, thanks a lot.

You can check out the towing specs of any car you may want to buy on www.parkers.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭granturismo

Can anyone explain the difference between 'unbraked' and 'breaked' towing weight and how both are relevant. Thanks.

All big trailers such as caravans and horseboxes have their own braking system. So when you apply brakes in your towing vehicle, the brakes will go on in the box too. Its much safer as otherwise the trailer's significant weight would be pushing against the towing vehicle in transit.

Smaller trailers dont tend to have brakes. Obviously these have to be very light (less than 750 kg generally with their load) to be towed safely.

If you're looking at towing horseboxes, its the braked towing weight thats relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭coolhandspan

is an isuzu any use, like look of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 jeanpaul

Im on my 4th Landcruiser and do a lot of heavy towing. Apart from one faulty gearbox that was replaced free of charge outside of warranty i had no problems. Can't see myself changing to any other brand.

Only a dealer would promote this to pull a hore box.
    Rubbish for pulling 2 big horses. Specs from website listed above shows that they are not safe.

Unbraked Towing Weight700 kg:mad:Braked Towing Weight2300 kg

santa fe's are great, there are four of them in my yard, ranging from 2003 to 2006, all used to tow regularly; the 2003 one has been pulling a double horsebox with a 16.2 sport horse and a 15.2 most weekends for years, not a bother on it! bought one myself recently, 2005, all leather and every extra you could ask for with only 48000 miles, for just over 10k. make sure you get the diesel version though obviously, my 2.0 litre diesel is fantstically economical, not much more expensive to run than the old 1.0 petrol i had before it, so not too much of a drain on fuel! the 2.0 litre is great, strong enough to pull two horses but without going into the tax/insurance bracket of the 2.5/3.0.
    theres plenty of them for sale as well in varying price brackets, well worth considering!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 mack2

hi just to add my 2pence worth! I have a nissan x-trial 2.2 desil and that pulls my big welsh cob and my little welsh pony, 2 kids, all the gear etc no bother.....also i use it on a daily basis, kids to school, work, shop etc and i put in 50 every 2 weeks.......i swear thats the truth ive never had such an ecconomical jeep/car before i love it!!! It has all the extras too....leather heated seats etc..... Touch wood have never had a prob either on a daily basis or with the horsebox and ive been through thick yuck mud in fields at shows with the two cobs and its just pulled no bother.....
    best of luck with your search.....its an idea to ask also that when you take the jeep on a test drive you can hitch up the box....thats what we did - our garage was great like that......i dismissed 2 other jeeps just on what i felt when i started pulling with them!!!
    good luck!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭granturismo

According to the Sunday Times, the total weight of whatever's being towed should not exceed 85% of the vehicle's kerb weight to minimise any chance of the horsebox swaying.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭silverfox88

Only a dealer would promote this to pull a hore box.
    Rubbish for pulling 2 big horses. Specs from website listed above shows that they are not safe.

Unbraked Towing Weight700 kg:mad:Braked Towing Weight2300 kg

heehee, i dont really know any 21 year olds with car dealerships to be honest!! i'm only getting used to towing so i havent pulled two yet, but brought a friends big boned 16.2 cross country with it the other day and hardly felt the box on the end of the jeep at all. you'd really have to have driven one with a box on it to judge it properly. as i said earlier, another girl in the yard has been pulling her two big horses with hers for 7 years now and never had a problem. love the thing!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 savvygirl

Well I have a landcruiser and I absolutely love it for pulling the horsebox around the country with 1/2 horses. But now with the clamp down on commercial tax (tax gone from 288 to 1350!) I am going to have to change it for something with a smaller engine size so again I am looking for recommendations. Such a pain to have to change it but just can't afford the 1350 per year! One wonders what effect this will have on the prices of jeeps?!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Bellemz

Anyone towing one horse (16.22hh +) with a Tiguan/Grand Vitara/Yeti?

I'm stuck in the 2.0l Tax bracket and have a small budget (8k absolute max). Towing weight of the 3 above vehicles is 2000kg and horse plus trailer are 1600kg max.

Grand Vitara is the most reasonably priced of the 3. Anyone had trouble with any of these models?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭HarrietD

Bellemz wrote: »

I'm stuck in the 2.0l Tax bracket and have a small budget (8k absolute max). Towing weight of the 3 above vehicles is 2000kg and horse plus trailer are 1600kg max.

Grand Vitara is the most reasonably priced of the 3. Anyone had trouble with any of these models?

I have a 1.9 Grand Vitara for 6 yrs. 99.9% of the time it is my run around and I need it to occasionally tow 1 horse short distances. There is no comparison to towing with a landcruiser etc but it suits my purpose and is very economical and has never given trouble towing or otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Have you looked at a Nissan X Trail?

I hadn't, thanks for the tip!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Bellemz wrote: »

we had 5 Grand Vitara's - all bought new, loved them, then we got a horse box for our daughter. There is a particulate (sp?) filter problem with the I think the later models. Disaster! Towing with one horse in a 505 was not great. In fact I was permanently paranoid about towing our beloved horse to events far away. That last Vitara we had, we replaced the filter (cost several thousand) and still a problem. We got a new VOLKSWAGON TIGUAN. My husband is that person who does ALL the research beforehand 8-) The Tiguan has super torc rating for towing, its cheaper tax, is really economical, and we all LOVE it as a family car. Check it out - I would 100% recommend one - even after 5 Grand Vitaras!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

marley123 wrote: »
    Have you looked at a Nissan X Trail?

I've used an xtrail for the last 2 years (have a few posts about it here about it if you do a search) Its well capable to pull the box with our 2 ponies but i have towed 2 horses with it. It's easy enough on diesel, returning nearly 40mpg travelling over and back to work. Tax is the big downside though.

Advertisement