Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit gone?

Options
  • 15-09-2010 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Herself was looking at getting a car and saw one she liked on monday. She was going to trade in her car against the cost of the car and we put down 400 euro to hold the car.

However, a family emergency has shown up and we really can't afford it. When I rang the garage owner he says he's taking 200 of the deposit and we can have the other 200 on friday?

Is this legit?

Can I get the whole deposit back?

I don't actually mind giving him the money to put up another ad online but I can't imagine it being 200 euro?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I am hardly an expert but, I would have thought, he was under no obligation to give any back.

Just going by the main purpose of a deposit etc.

It does sound like a case where the owner might not have been incoveniences too much but that may be why he is offering half of it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Ah right, not the answer I was hoping for but thanks all the same :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Usually deposits can be retained by the seller. Did you get any receipt with T&Cs or anything like that?

Advertisement