Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should shower motor rotate freely

• 15-09-2010 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi, I just got the shower tray replaced and now the Triton T90i shower is not working. When I turn it on, the water comes out but the motor never switches to high speed (which it usually does about 5 seconds after turning it on).
    I took the cover off and attempted to rotate the motor by hand. It will rotate, but feels very stiff - is this normal? Should it rotate freely?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

i could be worng here but i thought most electric motors would not rotate freely due to the magnets in them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

With all due respect to Matron, whose advice is always worth listening to, an electric motor should rotate freely. What it's connected to might not however. With a shower pump there might be a slight resistance, but there shouldn't be much. I would suspect either dry motor bearings (a shot of WD40 would prove that) or scaling up inside the pump body in which case you need a descaling solution. Another possibility is the shower head pipe -- they have a rubber sleeve inside, and it's not unknown for the sleeve to perish and collapse, restricting the water flow. To prove that or otherwise, take the pipe off and try running the shower. If everything works you need a new pipe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

All motors usually flow freeley however as a t90 pump motor is connected to the pump via the shaft i imagine it would not flow freely...However tbh I never checked this out....

Will next time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Filikin

got it working - a valve was a bit stiff - I suspect the fumes from the silicon used to install the shower base.
    Just for the record, the stiff motor was normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Filikin wrote: »
    got it working - a valve was a bit stiff - I suspect the fumes from the silicon used to install the shower base.
    Just for the record, the stiff motor was normal.

Cool well done when siliconeing it back make sure you leave the air gap at the bottom or the shower will overheat...

• Advertisement
Advertisement