Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended places to photograph at night

Options
  • 15-09-2010 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm planning on taking some night time pictures around Galway.
    Where would you recommend, besides:
    • cathedral
    • Monros pub
    • the Docks
    • Buildings over the water from the claddagh
    • Outside of some pubs (Kings Head, Quay St etc).
    I'll try Eyre Square but mightn't be good at night.
    I decided to post here instead of photo forum as might get more answers here.
    Thanks,
    Pa.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Any branch of Supermacs at 1:52am

There is a full harvest moon next week and if clear skies occur, the landscape will be spectacular, you should go to hills on either side of town Ballybrit/Circular Road and snap away

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

My bedroom, it's hard to get the action shots right using a timer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭EI111

Blackrock...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

wolf tone bridge from o'briens bridge

bridge mills

spanish arch (museum, townhouse)

kirwans lane

from the bailey on circular road is gorgeous at night

some shops/hotels that look pretty cool at night:
    Radisson, G, Clayton, Born

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Shouldn't that be quick shutter speed- maybe 1/100 of a second?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

You should get yourself a tripod mate, its probably too difficult trying to hold the camera with one hand... ;)

Zzippy wrote: »
    You should get yourself a tripod mate, its probably too difficult trying to hold the camera with one hand... ;)

Maybe a monopod; at least with that you can stick it where the sun don't shine...not that that's my sort of thing.

Walk along the canals. The view from the canals across to the Bridge Mills is quite nice.

magentas wrote: »

from the bailey on circular road is gorgeous at night
    Where exactly is that? Is it an estate and you mean the view over the city?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Zzippy wrote: »

And a camera with a high shutter speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Grattan Road ... 300 to 400 meters from the junction with The Prom. On a calm night with the tide in, it's wonderful . Salthill in the background and the moon bouncing of the water created beautiful shots.

Also, go up the Dyke Road anywhere between the Black Box Theatre and Terryland Park Stadium. The riverbank with the city in the background is wonderful.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

ErnieBert wrote: »
    Grattan Road ... 300 to 400 meters from the junction with The Prom. On a calm night with the tide in, it's wonderful . Salthill in the background and the moon bouncing of the water created beautiful shots.

Also, go up the Dyke Road anywhere between the Black Box Theatre and Terryland Park Stadium. The riverbank with the city in the background is wonderful.

Alternatively go up on the bridge and shoot the new engineering building/rest of the campus. They have the lights on at night and its quite nice.

+1 The Spanish arch would be great but dont leave it too late or itll be full of the buckfast brigade.

Far side of Lough Atalia overlooking the rail bridge/apartments

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

Down around the Docks at night would be good, lots of shadows..

I presume you'll use something that works well in low light, have a
    50mm 1.4 and its excellent in low light

Don't forget to post a few pictures :)

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

The night time view of Salthill and of the city centre from out on the Mutton Island causeway is pretty nice. I got some half decent night shots out there. Probably only on a still night though! Wind might be somewhat of a nuisance :P The swamp is also good when the moon is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

The docks just as the Dawn sun is begining to yawn across the water..
    Also Quay Street at about 5 am when there's maybe one or two wobblers still attempting to get home :D

Advertisement