Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unleashed Dogs on The Beach

Options
  • 15-09-2010 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi lads and lassies. Long time reading this site but 1st time to post.
    Moved to the Rush a few years ago. Not a bad place still settling in I suppose.
    My main problem down here is on the beach where I like to run, beautiful as it is there are way too many dogs with owners that do not know what the lead they are swinging in their hand is forrolleyes.gif..So far I have lost count of the amount of dogs that have jumped on me and one particularly scary encounter with a snarling boxer dog
    Just want to know if anyone else is having similar problems.
    Rang Fingal and all they say is they will send the dog warden down.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

It's the same everywhere. On every beach, grounds, walking paths etc. I keep mine on a leash because he's a brat but even if he wasn't I still would. I let him run all he wants when I go down home and he has our fields to run in but otherwise he's kept on a leash when I'm in Dublin, for my own piece of mind more than anything. I don't think there's a whole lot you can do about it to be honest, one of the many rules that gets broken. Dogs that are well behaved off a leash don't bother me really but the ones that are a menace obviously do as you unfortunately found with the boxer, that's not on. Not making light of your point but people not picking up the dogs' poo bothers me a lot more to be honest than a dog that isn't bothering anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I know what you mean. I live beside Ardgillan Demesne & there are always dogs off the leash. I don't mind it too much if they are off in a remote part of the park, but not on the paths where they can be a nuisance to other walkers, especially young children who can be particularly fazed by dogs jumping on them & barking in their face.

I'm fed up hearing "Oh, he won't bite" or "He wouldn't hurt a fly". I don't care. I want your dog out of my kid's face. NOW.

(Slightly off-topic: Oh, & pick up their crap too.)

Actually in Malahide Castle the other day I had a woman come up to me to say I was being cruel by having my JRT on a leash! Despite us being right next to a sign that said dogs must be kept on a leash at all times! She said I should let him run free like her dog as that's the way dogs are meant to be. I later saw her dog snap at another dog for no reason. Smart lady :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

There was a thread recently in Animals and Pets about what the law says about the control of dogs. Apparently, it just says something like "under proper/effective control", which a lot of people were saying meant that, as long as your dog was well-trained/obedient/a good dog and would obey commands, it didn't have to be on a lead.

[Edit: found it: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055996602]

However, I read recently in the local magazine that Fingal Co Co are discussing amending the local bye-laws to require dogs to be on a lead when in parks etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

i absolutely love dogs. the gf on the other hand is petrified on any dog.

when out walkiing ( i would not notice) she would freeze on the spot when a dog comes walking up. and i would literally freeze on the spot. i understand dogs need a good ol run around but surely there is designated spots?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭dubsontour

Hill Billy wrote: »
    I know what you mean. I live beside Ardgillan Demesne & there are always dogs off the leash. I don't mind it too much if they are off in a remote part of the park, but not on the paths where they can be a nuisance to other walkers, especially young children who can be particularly fazed by dogs jumping on them & barking in their face.

I'm fed up hearing "Oh, he won't bite" or "He wouldn't hurt a fly". I don't care. I want your dog out of my kid's face. NOW.

(Slightly off-topic: Oh, & pick up their crap too.)

Ah yes the " he won't bite" favourites that dog owners use a lot. As I said to a lady last week "has he got teeth" she says of course I said so he WILL bite.
    Another one is "he only wants to play":mad::mad:
    Maybe as another poster said, have a designated area like in the States where they have dog parks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

I guess it depends on your viewpoint, I've had dogs all my life and gladly let them off the lead when out walking. I've also been on the other end of the stick and have had my heels nipped at when running down on portmarnock beach.

I guess I would be more likely to let this go than you op, plus I can't imagine getting charged by a snarling boxer is in any way fun. I suppose you just need to be sensible about when and where you do it. For example I won't let the dogs off if I'm up in the football pitches and there's a match on, nor will I bring them down the beach any time when it's even slightly populated. That said, I have no problem letting them go when the time and place suits it.

Edit: I will also add, from my own experience as both a dog walker and as one who has been chased by dogs while running, that if you run a dog will generally chase you. If you stop and hold out your hand palm facing up and let them sniff your hand, or give a rub on the head, or even sometimes look at it and point away, like back to the owner, they'll generally scamper off on their merry way. I understand this can be a pain if you have to break your stride, but it's always worked for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Hill Billy wrote: »

I bring my dog down to Ardgillan at least once a week and let her run free through the entire complex and I've never had any bother from the staff about it. I guess I'm lucky in that if I see kids in the distance, I call her back to me (every single time without fail) and there's never a bother out of her as long as you keep moving (she doesn't like people who stand still strangely enough).

However, I can see why people would have a problem with it as different dogs bring different temperaments to the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

dubsontour wrote: »
    Ah yes the " he won't bite" favourites that dog owners use a lot. As I said to a lady last week "has he got teeth" she says of course I said so he WILL bite.
    Another one is "he only wants to play":mad::mad:
    Maybe as another poster said, have a designated area like in the States where they have dog parks.

I let my lab off the leash so he can do exactly what you are doing ie excercise effectively, IMO he got just as much right to that as us humans have.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭DubArk

dcr22B wrote: »
    I bring my dog down to Ardgillan at least once a week and let her run free through the entire complex and I've never had any bother from the staff about it. I guess I'm lucky in that if I see kids in the distance, I call her back to me (every single time without fail) and there's never a bother out of her as long as you keep moving (she doesn't like people who stand still strangely enough).

However, I can see why people would have a problem with it as different dogs bring different temperaments to the table.

It is clearly signed in Ardgillan that all dogs must be kept on a lead, so I’m at a loss why these rules don’t apply to you?

Again it’s signed on the beaches that dogs, during certain times, in the summer season are not permitted on the beech and yet….. like clock work…. some one walks down the beach with their dogs off the lead…. Kids crying, people grabbing food stuff from prying dog noses… you get the picture.

As for the off topic Doggy Do…. walk around the head in Skerries and be guaranteed, if you take your eye off the ball, you’ll be scraping dog crap off your shoes.

BTW I have always been a dog lover. Have two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭dubsontour

[QUOTE=hidinginthebush;6801623

Edit: I will also add, from my own experience as both a dog walker and as one who has been chased by dogs while running, that if you run a dog will generally chase you. If you stop and hold out your hand palm facing up and let them sniff your hand, or give a rub on the head, or even sometimes look at it and point away, like back to the owner, they'll generally scamper off on their merry way. I understand this can be a pain if you have to break your stride, but it's always worked for me.[/QUOTE]

Oh dear God no I'm not that brave:eek:. I do always stop though if I think the dog is gonna chase me.
    Might try the pointing back to the owner trick though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

well in fairness why should i stop and placate your dog by showing it that i am not a threat by holding out my hand. i dont mind dogs and a dog running over to me would not bother me in the slightest.

but i know my girlfriend would have a freak attack if this happened. there is a time and a place for everything and if its signed not to do it there is a reason why.

there is plenty of places around in which the dogs can exercise. and i doubt the dog even notices that its in the scenic area of ardgillan or the beach. althought these are open and ideal. there is much less populated areas in which a loose dog wont pose so much of a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

dogs off a lead are not the problem

owners who cant control their dogs are

if i can control my dog and know my dog will not snap at another and will return to me immediately if i call then, imho, i have every right to have my dog off a lead, especially in a relatively empty park(like malahide castle) or beach

Martron wrote: »
    if its signed not to do it there is a reason why.

ye there are two reasons why there are leash laws,

irresponsible dog owners are the main one

whingy non dog owners are the other

in a public park or on a beach i will make my own mind up about weather i can let my dog off the lead without it being a nuisance, danger or annoyance to anyone. i really dont care what a sign says. if a warden is there and decides to fine me then i can accept that too

PeakOutput wrote: »
    dogs off a lead are not the problem

owners who cant control their dogs are

if i can control my dog and know my dog will not snap at another and will return to me immediately if i call then, imho, i have every right to have my dog off a lead, especially in a relatively empty park(like malahide castle) or beach

Not if the signs clearly state that you're Not allowed to have your dog there without a lead on. Its not a automatic Right. :)

The Muppet wrote: »
    I let my lab off the leash so he can do exactly what you are doing ie excercise effectively, IMO he got just as much right to that as us humans have.
    No, I'm afraid it's a dog, it does not have equal rights as us humans have.

I like dogs. I don't like the self entitled attitude of some dog owners. If someone's toddler ran up to me and jumped all over me I'd kick it over, too, but am pretty sure toddlers aren't allowed to behave like that in public. So why your dog?

DubArk wrote: »
    Not if the signs clearly state that you're Not allowed to have your dog there without a lead on. Its not a automatic Right. :)

as i said i really dont care what the signs say

So why your dog?

its not and it dosnt and it wont, i completely agree that dogs that cant be controlled or belong to owners that wont control them should not be off the lead. thats not every dog or even most dogs though

as i said i really dont care what the signs say

A rebel without a lead! Bully for you….. the westies must be brickin it! LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

calm-down-calm-down.jpg

Calm down, calm down.

HB

• Advertisement

A rebel without a lead! Bully for you….. the westies must be brickin it! LOL

great response *golf clap*

i just find it funny that people get their knickers in a twist over those by laws when the very same people probably break 'more serious' laws every day like driving laws etc

im big enough and ugly enough to make my own decisions and accept the consequences and not just blindly follow a rule a few crusty councillors push threw cause they think they know best, if you cant make your own mind up about things like that then by all means let other people decide for you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

great response *golf clap*

i just find it funny that people get their knickers in a twist over those by laws when the very same people probably break 'more serious' laws every day like driving laws etc

im big enough and ugly enough to make my own decisions and accept the consequences and not just blindly follow a rule a few crusty councillors push threw cause they think they know best, if you cant make your own mind up about things like that then by all means let other people decide for you

With all due respect, life in a functioning democracy requires that most people obey most of the rules most of the time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

im big enough and ugly enough to make my own decisions and accept the consequences

one would hope that the consequences only apply to you, and not, say, some innocent four year old who gets bitten by the dog you were convinced would never bite.

It is clearly signed in Ardgillan that all dogs must be kept on a lead, so I’m at a loss why these rules don’t apply to you?

There used to be a sign at the car park saying that but it wasn't there at the weekend when I was up there.

The lads who drive around the demesne in the blue Toyota pickup have stopped on occasions to admire my dog and they've never said anything to me about keeping her on a lead. That said, if it's a busy day up around the car park and the playground, she's kept on a lead until well away from any kids as I can appreciate parent's concerns even though (and yes I know it's a cliché), my little one is a very sociable dog.

Ardgillan is a big enough demesne where there is plenty of room for dogs to roam free without bothering anyone else.

BTW I have always been a dog lover. Have two.

Given your displeasure with what I do in Ardgillan, (genuine question) is there anywhere that you could suggest I take my dog for a run in the area of Rush/Lusk/Skerries?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

genuine answer - if you want to give your dogs a run off the leash - totally understandable - why don't you take them out at 5/6 am when there's no-one else around?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Trappers Son

tbh wrote: »
    genuine answer - if you want to give your dogs a run off the leash - totally understandable - why don't you take them out at 5/6 am when there's no-one else around?

This is what I do.. Not cause the dogs are brats.. They're 2 sisters.. On their own they obey commands! Out together one just follows the other!

They will run over to say hello if a dog comes towards them but they are quite big so id be terrifed of them bumping into a child beside a dog...

Simple, my dog is a 3 year old cocker spaniel and she gets a 30 minute run in the morning before I go to work. It's more the evening time that I'd be looking for somewhere to run her.

In fairness, I tend to go to Ardgillan or Donabate beach when I know it's going to be quiet and the day that someone complains to me about my dog is the day I'll move on elsewhere. I fully appreciate people's concerns re unleashed dogs but there are so few places to take dogs for a run these days that I'll take full advantage of the facilities that are on my doorstep and until such a time that I'm told otherwise by someone in authority, I will continue to do so (I don't intend for this to sound obnoxious or arrogant, that is fully NOT my intention here).

As I stated in a previous post, Ardgillan has enough room for everyone to go about their business without causing undue harm to others and that has always been my mantra when i take my dog up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

No, I'm afraid it's a dog, it does not have equal rights as us humans have.

I like dogs. I don't like the self entitled attitude of some dog owners. If someone's toddler ran up to me and jumped all over me I'd kick it over, too, but am pretty sure toddlers aren't allowed to behave like that in public. So why your dog?

Says who?

I wouldn't advise you to go kicking Dogs, you would deserve to be bitten for such action IMO.
    one would hope that the consequences only apply to you, and not, say, some innocent four year old who gets bitten by the dog you were convinced would never bite.

Thats a pretty sweeping statement. I know my dog wouldn't bite anyone, I'm never than a few yards away from him when he's off lease. He knows he's not allowed to intefers with other people and he doesn't. IMO he is as entitled to use the park and beach as I am.

Allownaces have to be made for youn dogs whi need to be trained to behave properly.

If you want to run on the beach why not go a 5/6am when theres no dogs around, its the runner that has the issue not the dog owner.

• Advertisement

Personally if a dog is behaved then it doesn't bother me in the slightest if they're off their lead. I know they love it so if they're not a menace (like my little brat to other dogs unfortunately) then that's fine with me. It just annoyed me last week when that woman gave out to me for being cruel by having mine on a leash yet her dog snapped at another dog a few minutes later.

Anyone here around Malahide that wants to walk their dog off the leash without worrying about children/people you can let them run around on Paddy's Hill next to Gannon Park/Robswall. It's a great place to walk them, there's often days I'm up there and I don't meet a soul.

Advertisement