Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unleashed Dogs on The Beach

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭dubsontour

If you want to run on the beach why not go a 5/6am when theres no dogs around, its the runner that has the issue not the dog owner.[/QUOTE]

The day I was attacked on the beach by a boxer dog it was before7am. The dog owner the dog and myself were the only 3 people on the beach.The dog was beside the sand dunes I was at the waters edge (tide was out) and he ran across to me. Came that far his owner did not catch up with him for about a minute or more(felt like an hour) while he circled me snarling and pouncing.
    So I now don't go out early, at least later there are witnesses if I get attacked

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

dubsontour wrote: »

The day I was attacked on the beach by a boxer dog it was before7am. The dog owner the dog and myself were the only 3 people on the beach.The dog was beside the sand dunes I was at the waters edge (tide was out) and he ran across to me. Came that far his owner did not catch up with him for about a minute or more(felt like an hour) while he circled me snarling and pouncing.
    So I now don't go out early, at least later there are witnesses if I get attacked

I agree you have a point there and some dogs shouldn't be allowed off leash in a public place if there are other people around.

Where I don't agree with you is your initial point that all dogs should be kept on leash on the beach. Responsible dog owners know how their dog will behave off leash and should act accordingly.

I know my lab loves to get a good run off leash and he needs it too, Keeping him on leash all the time would be cruel to him IMO.

The Muppet wrote: »
    I agree you have a point there and some dogs shouldn't be allowed off leash in a public place if there are other people around.

Where I don't agree with you is your initial point that all dogs should be kept on leash on the beach. Responsible dog owners know how their dog will behave off leash and should act accordingly.

I know my lab loves to get a good run off leash and he needs it too, Keeping him on leash all the time would be cruel to him IMO.

Don't think I said all dogs should be leashed just the ones who chase bark growl and generally be a menace to other users of parks beaches etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Hi lads and lassies. Long time reading this site but 1st time to post.
    Moved to the Rush a few years ago. Not a bad place still settling in I suppose.
    My main problem down here is on the beach where I like to run, beautiful as it is there are way too many dogs with owners that do not know what the lead they are swinging in their hand is forrolleyes.gif..So far I have lost count of the amount of dogs that have jumped on me and one particularly scary encounter with a snarling boxer dog
    Just want to know if anyone else is having similar problems.
    Rang Fingal and all they say is they will send the dog warden down.

Afraid to say letting dogs run free in Rush seems to be common over the years. My Uncle who was a dog lover told me the story of coming out of the Old Church in Rush in I think was the 50s and the local sheep farmer(they didnt just have veg in Rush then) had a number of dead dogs he had shot hanging up on the back of his truck waiting for the owners to recognise their dogs that had attacked his sheep.

I would be against unleashed dogs myself mainly due to the fact that you see very few owners willing to follow them around to clean up the dogs droppings, at least with a leash the dog is kept close so you have a chance of them spotting the dog going to the toilet and you can stop it going to the toilet during the walk using the lease.

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Afraid to say letting dogs run free in Rush seems to be common over the years. My Uncle who was a dog lover told me the story of coming out of the Old Church in Rush in I think was the 50s and the local sheep farmer(they didnt just have veg in Rush then) had a number of dead dogs he had shot hanging up on the back of his truck waiting for the owners to recognise their dogs that had attacked his sheep.

I would be against unleashed dogs myself mainly due to the fact that you see very few owners willing to follow them around to clean up the dogs droppings, at least with a leash the dog is kept close so you have a chance of them spotting the dog going to the toilet and you can stop it going to the toilet during the walk using the lease.

Totally agree unfortunatly in Rush you don't see many owners doing it ,I'v seen 1 since I have lived here, 5 years:rolleyes:.
    Never heard that about the sheep farmer, unbelievable . Bet the owners never claimed them either:eek:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

The Muppet wrote: »

I do see your point, but it's also probably true that responsible dog owners with well-trained dogs are in the minority. The rules (where there are rules) are in place to try to control the actions of irresponsible dog owners with untrained (or mistrained) dogs.

If someone sees you and your lab running free, they won't know which category you fall into.

It's another unfortunate example of rules having to be made to control the actions of the irresponsible, which unfortunately affects the freedom of the responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

I walk my dog 4 to 5 times a week on the beach and let him off the leash. The dog needs it and the beach is a facility for all. (including dogs and there owners). I agree that aggressive dogs should never be let off the leash in a public place but I cant see the problem with a dog who happens to simply break the stride of a jogger or whatever. It aint exactly the end of the world.

Bar when it comes to dangerous dogs, I think some people need a major unbunching of ones panties when it come to dogs. (im not talking about people who have a genuine fear of dogs btw). We all have to live in this world and there is a lot bigger problems than stepping in dog poo or the occasional pooch coming up to you to play or for a pat on the head. I mean serioulsy have we really become that bad that this is a problem.

I also see that on some beaches Horses are not allowed. Ridiculous

Btw, I pick my dogs poo up and bin it. Unfortunately when he is not feeling well it tends to run through my fingers :p

Don't think I said all dogs should be leashed just the ones who chase bark growl and generally be a menace to other users of parks beaches etc

Hi lads and lassies. Long time reading this site but 1st time to post.
    Moved to the Rush a few years ago. Not a bad place still settling in I suppose.
    My main problem down here is on the beach where I like to run, beautiful as it is there are way too many dogs with owners that do not know what the lead they are swinging in their hand is forrolleyes.gif..So far I have lost count of the amount of dogs that have jumped on me and one particularly scary encounter with a snarling boxer dog
    Just want to know if anyone else is having similar problems.
    Rang Fingal and all they say is they will send the dog warden down.

To be fair your first post did indicate that you where implying all. Its the way it came across to me anyway.

I believe that the rule for horses is that they are only allowed on the beach between September and May... might be wrong about this, my mother brings her horse to the beach in Wexford all the way through the winter. I can understand this. For one thing (I know it's "cleaner" but still...) you can't really stop and pick up your horse's poo. For another, my mother and her mates are not exactly having a quiet trot along the sands... and while they're perfectly in control and can pull the horses up when they see people or dogs, for safety's sake the summer ban on horses on the beach is very logical.

I get uptight about this dog issue because I dated a guy for a few years who was afraid of all animals, large or small, and was forever intercepting or distracting dogs who looked like they might be making a beeline for him, just to play or even just have a sniff and say hello. That said, we didn't go walking in parks or places where dogs might be loose, very often. An unfortunate sptinger spaniel came tearing right up to him in a gleeful fit and got a smack of a shopping bag, which unfortunately for the dog contained a few logs of firewood. I was apologetic to the owner, but the line on who's right, and who's wrong on this occasion was a bit blurred.

I'm all for letting dogs have a run, they have to. I've grown up with dogs, albeit "down the country" so this was never an issue, so I can see it from both sides. While loose dogs don't bother me, "only playing" and "just saying hello" is not acceptable no matter what the temperment of the dog, because some people just plain don't want to play, or say hello. In that case the onus is on the owner to make sure the dog isn't being a nuisance, and if they can effectively do that, then sure, have them off the lead. I just found in those few years a total disregard by some owners in this respect.

I walk my dog 4 to 5 times a week on the beach and let him off the leash. The dog needs it and the beach is a facility for all. (including dogs and there owners). I agree that aggressive dogs should never be let off the leash in a public place but I cant see the problem with a dog who happens to simply break the stride of a jogger or whatever. It aint exactly the end of the world.

Bar when it comes to dangerous dogs, I think some people need a major unbunching of ones panties when it come to dogs. (im not talking about people who have a genuine fear of dogs btw). We all have to live in this world and there is a lot bigger problems than stepping in dog poo or the occasional pooch coming up to you to play or for a pat on the head. I mean serioulsy have we really become that bad that this is a problem.

I also see that on some beaches Horses are not allowed. Ridiculous

Btw, I pick my dogs poo up and bin it. Unfortunately when he is not feeling well it tends to run through my fingers :p

The dangerous dogs are the ones I am talking about. The owners have to know their dog and knows if a dog will chase a runner.
    We had a dog ourselves and it took us a very short time to realise he went ape after joggers, so we did not let him off the lead unless there was no one around. As I said I have been attacked by 2 dogs and it was terrifying so you can make light of it if you wish but for me it is a serious matter. I also would not put myself in the "fear of dogs" category as we had dogs in the family all my life.

• Advertisement

I believe that the rule for horses is that they are only allowed on the beach between September and May... might be wrong about this, my mother brings her horse to the beach in Wexford all the way through the winter. I can understand this. For one thing (I know it's "cleaner" but still...) you can't really stop and pick up your horse's poo. For another, my mother and her mates are not exactly having a quiet trot along the sands... and while they're perfectly in control and can pull the horses up when they see people or dogs, for safety's sake the summer ban on horses on the beach is very logical.

I get uptight about this dog issue because I dated a guy for a few years who was afraid of all animals, large or small, and was forever intercepting or distracting dogs who looked like they might be making a beeline for him, just to play or even just have a sniff and say hello. That said, we didn't go walking in parks or places where dogs might be loose, very often. An unfortunate sptinger spaniel came tearing right up to him in a gleeful fit and got a smack of a shopping bag, which unfortunately for the dog contained a few logs of firewood. I was apologetic to the owner, but the line on who's right, and who's wrong on this occasion was a bit blurred.

I'm all for letting dogs have a run, they have to. I've grown up with dogs, albeit "down the country" so this was never an issue, so I can see it from both sides. While loose dogs don't bother me, "only playing" and "just saying hello" is not acceptable no matter what the temperment of the dog, because some people just plain don't want to play, or say hello. In that case the onus is on the owner to make sure the dog isn't being a nuisance, and if they can effectively do that, then sure, have them off the lead. I just found in those few years a total disregard by some owners in this respect.

This maybe the case for horses. Iv just seen a sign up banning horses and im sure i seen it up before may, but im open to correction. There was also a piece a while back on the news about a beach banning horses completely.

I understand that some people have a major fear of dogs and it can be really bad for them, this is where I can find little justification for having a dog off their lead but it would be unfortunate for all dogs to be leashed for just this scenario
    As for you saying that having a dog come up to you, playing, saying hello is not acceptable no matter what, well this is where i have the problem. Basically the way i feel about it is, get over it. Its a minor inconvenience for a moment and then its over. I dont understand how people have this problem.

Iv had plenty of dogs come up to me on a beach (even bafore I had a dog) or where ever and to say hello and play and you know what, sometimes get dirt on me:eek: I lived to to tell the tale and life went on.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭SilverFox261

I don't think the owner knowing their dog should have anything to do with whether or not the dog should be on a leash. I have 2 German Shepard's and while I know they very good natured and have never shown an aggressive streak, as a poster previously pointed out, if it has teeth it will bite. My fear would be that something/someone would antagonise them and they would react, especially a young child.

Maybe my fear is born from the breed of the dog I keep but I believe a dog should always be on a leash.

The dangerous dogs are the ones I am talking about. The owners have to know their dog and knows if a dog will chase a runner.
    We had a dog ourselves and it took us a very short time to realise he went ape after joggers, so we did not let him off the lead unless there was no one around. As I said I have been attacked by 2 dogs and it was terrifying so you can make light of it if you wish but for me it is a serious matter. I also would not put myself in the "fear of dogs" category as we had dogs in the family all my life.

All I said was that your first post came across that you where making it out to be all dogs. Which in fairness to myself, the sentence I highlighted does seem to indicate this.

As for me making light of it. I hav nt. So please dont try and tar me with something I didnt do.
    The bit you highlighted of my post shows that i wasnt making light of dangerous dogs.
    I already said that dangerous dogs should be on a leash.

My only problem is people thinking all dogs should be on a leash regardless of how the dog is behaved. The beach is for all imo.

Your original post did imply that all dogs should be on a leash. Maybe you should have worded it differently and leaving out the smiley might also have been a good idea.

Oh and by the way. Its now two dogs that attacked you? Which is it?

You didn't make it clear in your OP that you were only talking about dangerous dogs, I don't think you'll get many people arguing that dangerous dogs should be off leash.

I don't agree with the if it has teeth it will bite comment, I don't believe there is any evidence to support that statement.

If I considereed my dog dangerous I'd muzzle him when out.

All I said was that your first post came across that you where making it out to be all dogs. Which in fairness to myself, the sentence I highlighted does seem to indicate this.

As for me making light of it. I hav nt. So please dont try and tar me with something I didnt do.
    The bit you highlighted of my post shows that i wasnt making light of dangerous dogs.
    I already said that dangerous dogs should be on a leash.

My only problem is people thinking all dogs should be on a leash regardless of how the dog is behaved. The beach is for all imo.

Your original post did imply that all dogs should be on a leash. Maybe you should have worded it differently and leaving out the smiley might also have been a good idea.

Oh and by the way. Its now two dogs that attacked you? Which is it?

Yeah it was 2 dogs that attacked me but the 1st one was 4 years ago so I was only posting about the most recent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Dogs seem to be an emotive subject!! The law says the following breeds or cross breeds must be kept on a short leash of less than 2ms and muzzled in public places as they are considered dangerous breeds.

American Pit Bull Terrier
    English Bull Terrier
    Staffordshire Bull Terrier
    Bull Mastiff
    Dobermann Pinscher
    German Shepherd (Alsatian)
    Rhodesian Ridgeback
    Rottweiler
    Japanese Akita
    Japanese Tosa
    Bandog

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1998/en/si/0442.html

As for you saying that having a dog come up to you, playing, saying hello is not acceptable no matter what, well this is where i have the problem. Basically the way i feel about it is, get over it. Its a minor inconvenience for a moment and then its over. I dont understand how people have this problem.

Iv had plenty of dogs come up to me on a beach (even bafore I had a dog) or where ever and to say hello and play and you know what, sometimes get dirt on me:eek: I lived to to tell the tale and life went on.
    Me too. Like I said earlier, I spent a few years trying to distract and intercept playful dogs coming close while I was dating the guy who was scared of dogs. Doesn't bother me when dogs come to say Hi. But you don't know how any random person will react to your dog, which is why I feel the onus is on the dog owner to make sure it isn't meeting and greeting everyone in it's path. My grandparents had a glorified carpet of a golden retriever, really that dog had no personality whatsoever. They used to bring it to the park and let it wander up to people. The majority of people would coo and awww over her (which is what they revelled in anyway) but the odd person would be disgusted and sidestep her, and some would shriek and run from her. My grandmother saying "Really, she only wants to say hello!" is not an excuse. It is this attitude that I dislike in some dog owners. I don't mind playing and saying hi to dogs, but not everyone wants to, some people just really don't like dogs, whether for fear or just plain dislike. It's not very fair to tell them to "just get over it" because the dog means no harm. Better to be sure your dog isn't going to bother anyone when you want to let it run loose. That is my only gripe on this issue.

Me too. Like I said earlier, I spent a few years trying to distract and intercept playful dogs coming close while I was dating the guy who was scared of dogs. Doesn't bother me when dogs come to say Hi. But you don't know how any random person will react to your dog, which is why I feel the onus is on the dog owner to make sure it isn't meeting and greeting everyone in it's path. My grandparents had a glorified carpet of a golden retriever, really that dog had no personality whatsoever. They used to bring it to the park and let it wander up to people. The majority of people would coo and awww over her (which is what they revelled in anyway) but the odd person would be disgusted and sidestep her, and some would shriek and run from her. My grandmother saying "Really, she only wants to say hello!" is not an excuse. It is this attitude that I dislike in some dog owners. I don't mind playing and saying hi to dogs, but not everyone wants to, some people just really don't like dogs, whether for fear or just plain dislike. It's not very fair to tell them to "just get over it" because the dog means no harm. Better to be sure your dog isn't going to bother anyone when you want to let it run loose. That is my only gripe on this issue.

Fair enough, We tend to agree on most things except one little point which is fine. It is a difficult topic to completely pin point who is and isnt in the right. Like all things in this world, its isnt a case of just Black or White.

Dogs seem to be an emotive subject!! The law says the following breeds or cross breeds must be kept on a short leash of less than 2ms and muzzled in public places as they are considered dangerous breeds.

American Pit Bull Terrier
    English Bull Terrier
    Staffordshire Bull Terrier
    Bull Mastiff
    Dobermann Pinscher
    German Shepherd (Alsatian)
    Rhodesian Ridgeback
    Rottweiler
    Japanese Akita
    Japanese Tosa
    Bandog

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1998/en/si/0442.html

What about my lad (Cairn terrier) Im thinkin he should be top of that list:D

Cairn_Terrier_pepper2.jpg

ggggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭scifi77

Now I remember why I DON'T have a dog!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

I remember this well, if its the same one. It was around 1977/78 and I remember coming out of the church and a lorry parked where the Millbank Theatre is now with a big black dog on the back of it. It actually looked like a rocking horse. That same dog, someones pet had done serious damage and killed quite a few lambs in Hayestown, there were other dogs also, R.T.E actually came and done a programme and I remember the scene of the farmers son carrying dead lambs.

The beachs in Rush especially the South beach are a joke. The amount of dogs let off here is a joke and I have seen people lashing out and kicking them while the owners use the line "ah he wont touch you". Ok for them to say that.

We have a Cav King Charles and it is the most lovable dog you could have, very playful and quiet. But when we take it for a walk its on a lead. Its common courtsey I would say to other walkers, especially elderly, children and people who are just afraid of dogs. If a dog snarled at my child in any way I would be quite happy to give it a good smack of a size 10 in the gob, but I hasten to add this has never happened to me out walking but I am not afraid of dogs whereas if someone is afraid and shows it I have seen what I would call friendly dogs snarling at them.

I am a Postie so have dogs around me every day and Id say there are very few who will bite. Agree with the poster who said put your hand out and let them have a sniff. For some reason they wont bite the back of your hand! I am often heard talking to dogs firmly and pointing away and this usually works. The only dogs I have had problems with in my time on the post are the lassie type dogs. I have been biten by them 2 or 3 times, sly, each time nipped from behind.

I would say if you see a dog running free in Ardgillen or anywhere else contact the staff and complain. As for the crap left behind. I see quite a few out walking with little bags but maybe Fingal could have a stand or two with bags for people who forget to bring them. Nothing as bad as kids playing or running and ending up standing in dog crap and you dont know untill you get the smell in the car:mad:

This maybe the case for horses. Iv just seen a sign up banning horses and im sure i seen it up before may, but im open to correction. There was also a piece a while back on the news about a beach banning horses completely.

Not completely on topic, but I found out that the rules about horses vary from beach to beach. The local council usually have the info. I imagine horses may be totally banned from areas like Killiney and Shankill (not that anyone in their right mind would ride a horse on Shankill beach) and that would make sense to me. Similiarly it'd be asking for trouble to go parade up and down on a horse on the small stretch of beach along by the train station in Balbriggan. I'm not very familiar with beaches this side of the city though, I'm sure there are plenty that stretch for miles that could safely accommodate horses and walkers outside of the summer months. Curracloe is the beach my mother rides on, and I know there horses are banned for the summer, and in spring AFAIK they are allowed before certain hours. During the winter, though, there aren't restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

LeoB wrote: »
    I would say if you see a dog running free in Ardgillen or anywhere else contact the staff and complain. As for the crap left behind. I see quite a few out walking with little bags but maybe Fingal could have a stand or two with bags for people who forget to bring them. Nothing as bad as kids playing or running and ending up standing in dog crap and you dont know untill you get the smell in the car:mad:

Leo, I made the point earlier in the thread that there is no longer a sign in the Ardgillan car park about having your dog on a leash (at least it wasn't there last Saturday, they may be replacing it) and the park staff have driven past me more times than I care to remember and have never asked me to put my dog on a lead (happened once in a remote part of Newbridge House over the far football pitches with nobody else around so I haven't gone back there since). I tend to stick to the wider open spaces in the western area of the demesne where I can have a good puck around with my dog while knowing there will be very few kids venturing over that side.

On the Lusk ring road, there used to be two stands with poo bags but they haven't been maintained in a long time (for the record, I always have at least 2-3 bags with me on each walk but my little lady tends to do most of her offloading in the back garden).

Finally, most people have said they'd give a dog a swift kick if they felt threatened by them. My dog is told to heel by me if there are people approaching that may look uncomfortable or she'll go on the lead if small kids are approaching (most of the time the kids come over to say hello to her). If one person laid a finger on my dog if she was just been friendly, I wouldn't exactly be calm about it as I feel I'm a responsible dog owner and in the 3 years I've had her, she's never given me cause for concern when around other people.

dcr22B wrote: »
    If one person laid a finger on my dog if she was just been friendly, I wouldn't exactly be calm about it .

+ 1, it's never happened but I'm pretty sure I would retaliate in kind if that were to happen. There is no justification for cruelty to animals.

LeoB wrote: »

The beachs in Rush especially the South beach are a joke. The amount of dogs let off here is a joke and I have seen people lashing out and kicking them while the owners use the line "ah he wont touch you". Ok for them to say that.

Glad to see it's not only me to think the south beach is teeming with uncontrolled dogs...
    Can't see it ever being sorted to be honest, had only returned to it recently to see if it had improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭DubArk

The reason it wont be sorted is because of the attitude of some of the posters in here, as in ‘F*uck everyone else…. I’ll do exactly what I want cause I can…. it’s my right and I ignore signs! Me me me me ‘

The council needs to dedicate areas where responsible owners can let their dogs off the lead!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

i reckon i have the right to protect myself if i felt threatened by a dog. regardless of the responsibility of the owner.

and i think you can say what you want but at the end of the day its an animal which was unrestrained and i felt threatend.

just because it is a dog does not make it any different.

i am sure if someone came over to you and put there pet snake around you it would be a different story.

at the end of the day it would be great if there was designated areas to let the dogs free as i i know they enjoy a good run around and the fact they are social animals like the interwactions with other dogs.

but for common courtesy i dont think its too much to ask that if there is a sign to keep a dog on a lead it should be obeyed.

Can I please draw people's attention to page 6 of the document referenced below:

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/Publications/Environment/Beach%20Bye%20laws.pdf

At this time of year, there are no requirements for dogs to be kept on a leash on beaches as long as they are "adequately controlled" so as long as that will be the case, I will:

a) not be breaking any rules

&

b) continue to walk my dog on the beach without a leash unless I can detect a situation where its necessity may arise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

thats fair enough.

problem there is it also says in the bullet points " should not be causing annoyance to other people on the beach". where do you draw the line. it seems to annoy people seeing dogs off a lead. so i think it will be an argument that will get caught up in semantics now.

• Advertisement

Exactly, I don't deny that some dogs on beaches, in parks etc are beyond the control of their owners but my annoyance was the OP's attitude that the majority of dogs were of that ilk i.e. out of control.

Guess I couldn't leave a sleeping dog lie!

Advertisement