Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unleashed Dogs on The Beach

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Its fine for some here who appear to be very responsible. If we are honest we all see the muts running around with little or no supervision and all get tarred with the same brush, (some people like me generalise)

One problem which is bringing this to a bit of a head are the people who have these dogs just for show. They dont exercise them half enough and they go beserk when let off, as I said I am a postie and am well used to dogs so 99% of them dont bother me. I deliver to one place where a Rothweiller hops into my van if I leave the door open,(he cant drive) and I usually tell him firmly to get out and out he gets.

But I do think the law and the rules should come down on the side of people who just want to go for a walk in peace or a jog.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭dubsontour

In my opening post I was talking about what I experience in my area of Rush, in this area yes the majority of the dogs on the beach ARE out of control. All I did was ask the question was any one else having the same problem in Rush.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

I used to cycle through st anns park abit in clontarf early in the morning and the amount of times i got dogs trying to attack me was unreal. most owners didnt even acknowledge. Ive never been that comfortable with strange dogs and even though i have my own puppy now i wouldnt let her off her leash in a busy park of people or other dogs because i dont want her annoying people and also because i dont want big dogs attacking her. The he wont bite line that most dog owners use is stupid. you might know ur dog wont big but how the hell is someone meant to know that when your dogs jumping on them or growling at them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

PeakOutput wrote: »
    dogs off a lead are not the problem

owners who cant control their dogs are

if i can control my dog and know my dog will not snap at another and will return to me immediately if i call then, imho, i have every right to have my dog off a lead, especially in a relatively empty park(like malahide castle) or beach
    You have every right to, and the law agrees.

According to law you need to have your dog under control.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

dubsontour wrote: »
    In my opening post I was talking about what I experience in my area of Rush, in this area yes the majority of the dogs on the beach ARE out of control. All I did was ask the question was any one else having the same problem in Rush.

Not entirely true. You made a some what sarcastic remark about how people dont know what the thing (lead) they have in there hand was for and you then used this(:rolleyes:). You generalised. Taring every owner with the same brush. This will annoy some people (people like me)

You stated that dogs where a nuisance when you where trying to run and that you where attacked once. You then went on to say that it was only vicious dogs you where giving out about and that you had been attacked twice. And now you are back to saying that most dogs that are off their lead are a nuisance and not just the vicious ones. So which is it. Are you giving out about all dogs off leads, some dogs off leads, just vicious dogs. Stick to the one point please.

I think we can all agree that out of control dogs should be on a leash but please dont try and tell me the majority of dogs on the beaches in Rush are out of control when off the lead. It just aint true. This is coming from a person who has walked his dogs on Rush beaches for over 20 years. Live and let live my friend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭dubsontour

Well you have your opinion and I have mine. I see a dog running towards me, jumping on me, off a lead as out of control. You see a dog having fun and running up to say hello. Difference of whatever rose tinted spectacles you are wearing at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

With all due respect, life in a functioning democracy requires that most people obey most of the rules most of the time...

i do follow most of the rules most of the time

a leash law is one ill make my own mind up about

tbh wrote: »
    one would hope that the consequences only apply to you, and not, say, some innocent four year old who gets bitten by the dog you were convinced would never bite.

absolutely

whats your point? i assume its that you can never truly know what an animal will do. i disagree

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Dogs seem to be an emotive subject!! The law says the following breeds or cross breeds must be kept on a short leash of less than 2ms and muzzled in public places as they are considered dangerous breeds.

American Pit Bull Terrier
    English Bull Terrier
    Staffordshire Bull Terrier
    Bull Mastiff
    Dobermann Pinscher
    German Shepherd (Alsatian)
    Rhodesian Ridgeback
    Rottweiler
    Japanese Akita
    Japanese Tosa
    Bandog

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1998/en/si/0442.html

One of these?!
    http://cdn-www.dailypuppy.com/media/dogs/anonymous/kisu_akita_02.jpg_w450.jpg

dubsontour wrote: »
    Well you have your opinion and I have mine. I see a dog running towards me, jumping on me, off a lead as out of control. You see a dog having fun and running up to say hello. Difference of whatever rose tinted spectacles you are wearing at the time

running up to you and not responding to the owner is out of control

thats not the same as being attacked though if a bulldog was attacking you you would know all about it

however neither is acceptable and should not happen BUT that dosnt mean that ALL dogs need to be on a lead at ALL times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

PeakOutput wrote: »
    dogs off a lead are not the problem

owners who cant control their dogs are

if i can control my dog and know my dog will not snap at another and will return to me immediately if i call then, imho, i have every right to have my dog off a lead, especially in a relatively empty park(like malahide castle) or beach

You don't have such a right given that in Malahide for example there is a sign saying dogs must be on a leash. Moreover while you may know that your dog is well trained someone else doesn't and even so, a dog can only be trained so far, it is an animal and can flip. Agree about dog owners though, the feckless ones are really annoying.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

You don't have such a right given that in Malahide for example there is a sign saying dogs must be on a leash. Moreover while you may know that your dog is well trained someone else doesn't and even so, a dog can only be trained so far, it is an animal and can flip. Agree about dog owners though, the feckless ones are really annoying.

You're right about Malahide castle, or anywhere that has a rule specifically saying dogs must be kept on a leash. However anywhere that has no rule againest it, I don't see the problem.

However, dogs don't "flip" if they're well trained. Dogs that aren't well trained and are treated like little children by their owners can be nasty and agressive, but then so are kids who aren't disciplined properly.

My dog will continue to run around like a lunatic on the beach any time he wants, if someone on the beach politely tells me they have a problem with it though I will put him back on the lead straight away. It's a bit of common courtesy, any dog owner who wouldn't do that is being rude.

Do we really need new laws to force us to be polite to one another?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

bluewolf wrote: »

Nice.

They do get big though.

http://www.i-love-dogs.com/dog-breeds/images/Akita.jpg

I have never actually seen an Akita off the lead. Is there a lesson in that?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Advertisement