Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retain Tracker Mortgage

Options
  • 15-09-2010 10:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I have been considering renting out my own home and renting a smaller property. I have a tracker mortgage on my home if I rent it out and it is no longer my principle residence can the bank revoke my tracker? Anyone any experience of this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

ambro wrote: »
    I have been considering renting out my own home and renting a smaller property. I have a tracker mortgage on my home if I rent it out and it is no longer my principle residence can the bank revoke my tracker? Anyone any experience of this?

Unfortunately yes. In fact, not only would you be moved to a variable/fixed rate, but you would also be moved to a "buy-to-let" rate which is even more expensive. This is because your current loan is a "home loan" whereas, by drastically changing the underlying security, it would now be classified as an "investor loan", thus riskier, thus more expensive.

You would also likely face increased costs with regards your mortgage interest relief, stamp duty, capital gains etc should they apply. Whatever rent you would take in would also be subject to tax and/or affect social welfare payments.

Basically, you would be moving from "struggling home-owner" to "wealthy landlord"!

Advertisement