Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardening - Complete Newbie

Options
  • 15-09-2010 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

Hello lovely gardeners!

So I am a complete beginner to gardening, but I really would like to get into it. I am looking for some advice on what I might easily be able to grow - especially something that would even grow despite the fact we're fast leaving the summer. I am quite limited in terms of what I can do with my garden because I live in rented accommodation and the back garden is a cement heaven :( therefore I can only plant in pots, which would also mean I could take them on with me when I move away. Being a student, I also have a fairly limited budget. Since I'm a newbie, I'd like something that would be fairly low maintenance as well, in case I forget my gardening responsibilities!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

jendafer

ps - and my garden gets sun all day long (not sure if thats relevant!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

Hi,

So what are you looking to get from your "garden"?

Are You Looking to grow Fruit / Veg / Flowers?

Or a mix off all the above

And it's Never too late....

Do you have access to window sills inside your flat are these too in full sun ?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭jendafer1

Hi Jezko!

Well I guess I'm looking more for something pretty to look at, rather than staring at the concrete! I was considering a mini evergreen type tree - any suggestions? A few herbs for the kitchen would also be nice, but I tried my hand at that before with very unsuccessful results! We're in a house so I have many windowsills that I can use!

jendafer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Mediterranean plants do well in pots and prefer dry sunny conditions. Choose carefully selecting mainly evergreen types including Lavender (Hidcote/Vera), Santolina, Helichrysum and even Rosemary(Prostratus). For late year seasonal colour, try Helleborus Niger, Liriope Muscari and start planting Spring bulbs now Crocuses, Daffodils (dwarf types better: Narcissi), for mid Summer, try Alliums, fantastic flowers which repeat year on year , a wide range of heights in white and purple available. Other combinations might include Heuchera Coral Bells (perimeter) with Libertia Gold finger in centre), Acorus Ogon/Carex Evergold with Phormium Jester in centre.

As a student, you'll be good at researching so I'll let you look up the details on plants, heights etc etc.

All the above are reliable, inexpensive and available from good Garden centres. Do not skimp on pot sizes, the bigger the better and the more scope you will have for combinations.

Good Luck;)

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

jendafer1 wrote: »
    Hi Jezko!

Well I guess I'm looking more for something pretty to look at, rather than staring at the concrete! I was considering a mini evergreen type tree - any suggestions? A few herbs for the kitchen would also be nice, but I tried my hand at that before with very unsuccessful results! We're in a house so I have many windowsills that I can use!

jendafer

Spring Bulbs are a great Idea..
    One I would include is hyacinths also known as baby's Breath, Wide range of colours and highly Scented. Planted outside they flower in Spring and you can also get "treated" bulbs to flower for x-mas inside your home!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Nastiurtums are great, I find. They're easy to grow, pretty, and edible too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭jendafer1

Wow thats a lot of suggestions! Thanks everyone! Very much appreciated! When I get a chance I'm going to head to my local gardening shop and see what they have in terms of pots and various plants etc. Watch this space!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

probably a good time to buy pots as it's past the peak season for garden centres. but beware that not much is going to grow now for another six months, bar spring bulbs as mentioned.

Advertisement