Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget 2011 ideas

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 755 ✭✭✭optocynic

T runner wrote: »
    As a lot of these people practice tax avoidance it is difficult to put a number on it. I will see what i can do however.

We would be talking about primarily the top 500 earners in the country but we are talking about closing tax "avoidance" loopholes which benefift and are designed for predominanrly the very wealthy.

The perception that these people should not be touched as they are vital to the countries economy has shiown itself to be a dangerous lie.

An example might be the Cinderella clause which states that you are not resident in Ireland if you are not here at 12 midnight every day. This clause has been abused by the elite class in this country who have defrauded ordinary citizens of billions of euro. Not that thry take to the air every evening: nobody is checked, it just gives them a box to tick to avoid paying tax in this country.

We all have to contribute, even our elite overlords.

Elite Overlords?? That one made me laugh.

The top 500 earners huh? I wonder how much this Robin Hood action would in fact produce. Perhaps one weeks worth of public sector pay?

What is the national average for annual tax payments?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

optocynic wrote: »
    Elite Overlords?? That one made me laugh.

The top 500 earners huh? I wonder how much this Robin Hood action would in fact produce. Perhaps one weeks worth of public sector pay?

What is the national average for annual tax payments?

Not really concerned about what makes you laugh or not. Best to leave antagonism out of reasoned argument.

The top 450 earners in this country cleared over 70 billion in 2008.

They averaged about 15% tax payment, the lowest % by any group paying tax. Theer are people who made a lot of money out of this disaster. Why shouldnt they contribute as proportionatley as everone else? Taxation should mean that the more you earn teh greater tax proportion you pay. Why has this group consistently been given loopholes to avoid (evade?)taxation.

Youll find it adds up to quite a lot more than a week of Public sector wages BTW no matter how biased you are.

Public sector wages will be reduced. I am a public sector worker and i accept this. Wil this elite contribute? I doubt it somehow.

Not really concerned about what makes you laugh or not. Best to leave antagonism out of reasoned argument.

The top 450 earners in this country cleared over 70 billion in 2008.

They averaged about 15% tax payment, the lowest % by any group paying tax. Theer are people who made a lot of money out of this disaster. Why shouldnt they contribute as proportionatley as everone else? Taxation should mean that the more you earn teh greater tax proportion you pay. Why has this group consistently been given loopholes to avoid (evade?)taxation.

Youll find it adds up to quite a lot more than a week of Public sector wages BTW no matter how biased you are.

Public sector wages will be reduced. I am a public sector worker and i accept this. Wil this elite contribute? I doubt it somehow.

Where did you get these figures from?
    To be honest, I don't really believe them.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭cc-offe

What I think could work, some ideas borrowed from various threads, they're small ideas but would all add up

1c tax on texts, most people now have a free text package in some shape or form, introduce the tax, let the phone company work out how whether they will continue to be free or to pass on 1c charge

Medical card charges, there has to be at least a €5 charge for doctors visits.

Property tax, basic rate of €100 per house was mentioned somewhere.

Tax on junk food

I read that the IMF brought in a tax on some basic food items like bread in another country, maybe this wouldn't be such a bad idea.

Rent allowance, I know plenty of single people renting whole houses by themselves, why do the goverment not put people 4 to a house? Obviously there would be exceptions but I think most should have to share.

Completely slash goverment wages and pensions. NO expenses with the exception of travel to a foreign country and some other limited expenses, I don't get expenses to go to my job, make them bring their packed lunch to the dail unless they want to pay for their own meal out.

Artists tax exemption has to be changed.

No free legal aid for repeat offenders.

cc-offe wrote: »
    What I think could work, some ideas borrowed from various threads, they're small ideas but would all add up

1c tax on texts, most people now have a free text package in some shape or form, introduce the tax, let the phone company work out how whether they will continue to be free or to pass on 1c charge

Medical card charges, there has to be at least a €5 charge for doctors visits.

Property tax, basic rate of €100 per house was mentioned somewhere.

Tax on junk food

I read that the IMF brought in a tax on some basic food items like bread in another country, maybe this wouldn't be such a bad idea.

Rent allowance, I know plenty of single people renting whole houses by themselves, why do the goverment not put people 4 to a house? Obviously there would be exceptions but I think most should have to share.

Completely slash goverment wages and pensions. NO expenses with the exception of travel to a foreign country and some other limited expenses, I don't get expenses to go to my job, make them bring their packed lunch to the dail unless they want to pay for their own meal out.

Artists tax exemption has to be changed.

No free legal aid for repeat offenders.

A lot of them make sense. Except the tax on bread etc. It shouldn't be harder for families to afford necessities. It should be harder to afford luxuries though, like booze and cigarettes.

The tax on Junk food. Would that cover takw aways, cos that would simply cause small business' to fold.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

cut the defence forces... i have to laugh at this one, the only department that actually saw cutbacks DURING the boom.

Maybe what they SHOULD do is see the changes made to the defence forces as recommended by PWC (Price Waterhouse Cooper) Whitepaper on defence 2000 - 2010. numbers reduced, wasted expenditure sloughed away, stupid levels of nested management removed, efficiency increased by a large amount.

So many improvements and an increase in the payback for whats invested in terms of efficiency compared to what it used to be, the result was a small smart professional defence forces that would be the envy of any other country with a military of similiar size and for very very little cost.

By nature govt departments are NOT there to make a profit, the best you can hope for is to try to get as much back as you can, from them work and production wise, per cent spent.

No - all this get rid of the defence forces etc is wrong, education before defecation.. some people here have plainly no idea how the army or its civil department works.

My suggestion is to bring IN PWC and produce a whitepaper on Health, education, justice, etc and then you WOULD see massive benefits.

Contrary to popular belief, the money you would make by cutting back the DF and selling off their land is a pitiful tiny useless amount, primarily because so few are actually employed earning big money. the department is well run and efficient (in comparison to other deparments). The number of back office civil servants per front line workers is lower than other deparments too,so hold up the Department of defence as an example and template and hack the waste away from the other depts to produce a far more slick and productive civil service across the board would be my opinion. Use it for a model as to how money CAN be saved if its done right.

My 2 c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Where did you get these figures from?
    To be honest, I don't really believe them.

Surely you ahve heard of the various loopholes used by Rich people to "avoid" paying tax?

McCreevies reduction in Capital gains tax to 20% was blatant and ofcourse allowed our elite to fuel the property bubble. When the government was eventually forced to bring this up to 40% another loophole emerged. You could actually transfer property and assets tax free by creating a company transferiing the assets to that company and then selling it. The buyer pays ZERO tax, and can even make some tax claims based on the transaction.

The Cinderella clause scam was used by several thousand of the countries richest where they claimed they were out of the country at midnigt ..meaning they were resident abroad. You can count the amount of times this was actually checked in two hands.

So you see, whether you believe it or not, billions and billions of euro has been scammed from you and me by this group of people supported by a complicit government.

They told the government they were driving the economy and they drove it over the wall.

In a true republic, every citizin is treated equally: there is no aristocracy who do not have to pay taxes.

Lets bring them in and if they want to move elsewhere......they cant do any more harm tahn they have can they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭colm1234

Denzil2222 wrote: »
    This is what i think minister lenihan should do in budget 2011, abolish dole for under 21s, half dole from 21st till 25th birthday, cut child benifit to €100 per child per month and stop it on childs 17th birthday, cut state pension by 6 percent, abolish free tv licence and phone line rental for oaps and others, change medical card limits for over 70s to €450 per week for a single person and €900 for married couple, €10 levy on all new mobile phones, €2 on sim cards, plastic bag tax up to 50 cent per bag, extra €2 on 20 cigs, 51 percent tax rate for people earning over 300k, income levys up to 3, 6, and 9 percent.
    Im sick of brain dead Idiots posting up comments like this the poor in this country are struggling as it is, do this and crime rates will sore, as will the ammount of homeless, its the high earners that should be cut and the assholes we call our government they think people can live on 196 per week when they could spend that kind of money on a meal out, and as for people like you who are obviously working at a fairly good job as you seem to be fine paying 50cent for a plastic bag, well I hope that one day you will rely on the welfare system and see how it feels to be looked down upon when all you are doing is taking back some of the money you have contributed to the system, ive worked since 16 in this country everyone needs to pull their weight to help the more vunerable and stop being so ****ing greedy and get rid of the people who think "well as long as im ok **** every one else,

Surely you ahve heard of the various loopholes used by Rich people to "avoid" paying tax?

McCreevies reduction in Capital gains tax to 20% was blatant and ofcourse allowed our elite to fuel the property bubble. When the government was eventually forced to bring this up to 40% another loophole emerged. You could actually transfer property and assets tax free by creating a company transferiing the assets to that company and then selling it. The buyer pays ZERO tax, and can even make some tax claims based on the transaction.

The Cinderella clause scam was used by several thousand of the countries richest where they claimed they were out of the country at midnigt ..meaning they were resident abroad. You can count the amount of times this was actually checked in two hands.

So you see, whether you believe it or not, billions and billions of euro has been scammed from you and me by this group of people supported by a complicit government.

They told the government they were driving the economy and they drove it over the wall.

In a true republic, every citizin is treated equally: there is no aristocracy who do not have to pay taxes.

Lets bring them in and if they want to move elsewhere......they cant do any more harm tahn they have can they?

Now that is the difference in our views. They didn't swindle money from me. The took if from the Public Sector. Who would have most likely wasted it anyway!

How much per person do you think these 'rich' people paid in Tax?
    So, they did pay a huge amount. You just want to take a lot more from them. I understand that.

But if all should be treated equally, why not a flat tax rate for all?
    That is true equality, isn't it? Everyone measured against the same standards and levels of achievement?

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭GymJim

As a lot of these people practice tax avoidance it is difficult to put a number on it. I will see what i can do however.

We would be talking about primarily the top 500 earners in the country but we are talking about closing tax "avoidance" loopholes which benefift and are designed for predominanrly the very wealthy.

The perception that these people should not be touched as they are vital to the countries economy has shiown itself to be a dangerous lie.

An example might be the Cinderella clause which states that you are not resident in Ireland if you are not here at 12 midnight every day. This clause has been abused by the elite class in this country who have defrauded ordinary citizens of billions of euro. Not that thry take to the air every evening: nobody is checked, it just gives them a box to tick to avoid paying tax in this country.

We all have to contribute, even our elite overlords.

Just on this point. The "Cinderella clause" you refer to actually was changed in last years' budget (or even maybe the previous one, can't remember exactly of the top of my head) to the "any part of a day" residency rule. Not trying to be pedantic as I can see your point being that the regulation of such was almost non-existent.

Interestingly enough I believe the UK went the opposite way by changing from the "any part of a day" residency rule to the midnight rule.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭cc-offe

The tax on Junk food. Would that cover takw aways, cos that would simply cause small business' to fold.

Good point, No probably not but It should be put on chocolate, crisps, cakes etc, People won't give up this stuff as it is, even if they have massive health problems and/or are extremely overweight, I wouldn't imagine there would be any drop in the amount purchased.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭SC024

OK right our defense forces are "efficient" but when you dont need something it doesnt matter how efficient something is, It is still waste is it not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Apologies if this has been suggested before, but I suggest scrapping/cutting elected representative's expenses as well as their salaries.

If they need to go somewhere, they can do what everyone else does and get there on their own steam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Hillie45

Tax author's income, e.g. As far as I know Celia Ahern book pays no tax on her income from writing novels.

Tax Irish people contracted to work abroad a few months of the year at irish rates i.e. they should not be exempt from paying tax.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭davoxx

i think a base tax non-negotiable percentage of 35% regardless of how much you earn, that can never ever be written off, then raise minimum wages so that those struggling are not struggling as much.

and force irish passports based on taxes, pay no taxes coz you are not resident, lose your passport :)

trademark the world irish so that bono can't use it without a fee :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Legalizing prostitution; say that in order to operate legally as a prostitute one is required to hold a licence demonstrating complicity with the law that legalises prostitution. Charge something like €5000 for the licence and say the law will come into effect by june so money can be saved up. EDIT actually it would be better to tax each transaction so perhaps have licences operate for 4 month periods before they need to be renewed, and they cost something like €200. The government would effectively be a pimp

Legalizing prostitution; say that in order to operate legally as a prostitute one is required to hold a licence demonstrating complicity with the law that legalises prostitution. Charge something like €5000 for the licence and say the law will come into effect by june so money can be saved up. EDIT actually it would be better to tax each transaction so perhaps have licences operate for 4 month periods before they need to be renewed, and they cost something like €200. The government would effectively be a pimp

will a catholic country stand for that? .. it makes 100% sense ... tourism would be through the roof. used with legalising certain drugs, everyone would holiday in ireland ....

you could get the farmer to grow it, the social welfare sponges to 'work' process it, and the government to waste the taxes!!!

but on a serious note, would irish girls (gf material) deal with the competition?

"you pay a hooker to leave, not to stay" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭Count Dooku

Legalizing prostitution; say that in order to operate legally as a prostitute one is required to hold a licence demonstrating complicity with the law that legalises prostitution.
    I presume the next step will be exams carried by civil servants for issuing license?
    blush2.gif

It happens anyway, The guards are hardly driven up the wall trying to stop it so why not legalize it and make some money off it. Weed too, in fact weed would be a better money maker. Something that is no where near as harmful as alcohol or fast-food! I just don't understand how it is not even considered to be legalised

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Slap VAT on hookers! It sounds so comical, and yet would probably bring in a fair bit of money.

Why not? It's not like it's not happening anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,483 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Have Bono and U2 pay tax and back tax

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

I could have this country sorted out in 6 weeks. Are ye still taking suggestions? :D

I could have this country sorted out in 6 weeks. Are ye still taking suggestions? :D

We're still waiting for yours . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

I am unemployed at the moment and in my town you have to sign on once a month for all benefits. Dont know if its like that everywhere. Read last week that there are estimates of up to 5 billion euros worth of social welfare fraud going on in the state at the moment. My suggestion is bring in ID cards for all those on welfare and sign on once a week instead of once a month could save us a few bob.

We're still waiting for yours . . .

Okay, here we go.....

- Abolish all foreign aid. Absolutely crazy that we are paying aid to Africa when we are bankrupt ourselves. I believe we sent ~900million per year in recent years. Absolute madness. All foreign aid stopped for the next 5 years at least.

- Abolish all social welfare payments/State handouts to foreign nationals.

- Set up a ruthless fraud department in Social Welfare. Anyone found committing fraud brought before the courts.

- Cap on pay of the more senior civil servants of €80k.

- Cap on ministers of €100k. No expenses allowed and a minimum compulsory attendance threshold at the Dail each week.

- No more luxury State cars. Ministers get a bog standard 2 litre diesel Passat, and other government agencies get a bog standard diesel Kia (with a 7 year warranty btw). The current government spending on fancy BMWs, Audis, Mercs is absolutely crazy.

- Abolish the Seanad.

- Abolish motor tax and add 10c onto the price of fuel. Commercial vehicles only charged 5c to mitigate any detrimental effect on business. By scrapping motor tax, we can close down motor tax offices, deploy staff to other departments where they might be needed, and we no longer waste Garda resources on checking tax at the roadside. In essence, the tax take on fuel would be same as motor tax is now (or possibly more as tourists/foreigners don't pay motor tax at present), but the government would save on costs of administering the current system.

- Close down our asylum system. No more cases like Pamela Isbekevi (or whatever her name was), sorry the country's broke!

- Cut the TV licence fee to €40. Heaven forbid Miriam O'Callaghan and Ryan Tubirdy might actually have to take a pay cut! :eek:

- Reclaim our natural resources off West coast and put royalties of 50% on any private company extracting them.

- And most importantly of all, renogiate the terms of our bailout. As Vinny Brown has been advocating recently, go back to the head honchos in Brussels and tell them we simply can't pay back a €300bn loan. Tell them we can cover the sovereign debt, but only if they lend at 1%. If they refuse 1%, then we bring down the Euro and maybe even the EU itself. As for the bondholders, they can go and swing. They took a risk and they lost; there's absolutely no way the Irish people should be repaying vultures who gambled against the country.

[This is only the start of my 4 year plan btw. However, the social welfare budget is something like €19bn annually, so if we drop the foreigners I reckon we could save a fortune. Plus, I have plenty more plans to sort out this country's problems... lots of scope on teacher salaries for example.]

What do ye think?

Okay, here we go.....

- Abolish all foreign aid. Absolutely crazy that we are paying aid to Africa when we are bankrupt ourselves. I believe we sent ~900million per year in recent years. Absolute madness. All foreign aid stopped for the next 5 years at least.

- Set up a ruthless fraud department in Social Welfare. Anyone found committing fraud brought before the courts.

- Cap on ministers of €100k. No expenses allowed and a minimum compulsory attendance threshold at the Dail each week.

- No more luxury State cars. Ministers get a bog standard 2 litre diesel Passat, and other government agencies get a bog standard diesel Kia (with a 7 year warranty btw). The current government spending on fancy BMWs, Audis, Mercs is absolutely crazy.

- Abolish the Seanad.

- Abolish motor tax and add 10c onto the price of fuel. Commercial vehicles only charged 5c to mitigate any detrimental effect on business. By scrapping motor tax, we can close down motor tax offices, deploy staff to other departments where they might be needed, and we no longer waste Garda resources on checking tax at the roadside. In essence, the tax take on fuel would be same as motor tax is now (or possibly more as tourists/foreigners don't pay motor tax at present), but the government would save on costs of administering the current system.

- Close down our asylum system. No more cases like Pamela Isbekevi (or whatever her name was), sorry the country's broke!

- Cut the TV licence fee to €40. Heaven forbid Miriam O'Callaghan and Ryan Tubirdy might actually have to take a pay cut! :eek:

- Reclaim our natural resources off West coast and put royalties of 50% on any private company extracting them.

- And most importantly of all, renogiate the terms of our bailout. As Vinny Brown has been advocating recently, go back to the head honchos in Brussels and tell them we simply can't pay back a €300bn loan. Tell them we can cover the sovereign debt, but only if they lend at 1%. If they refuse 1%, then we bring down the Euro and maybe even the EU itself. As for the bondholders, they can go and swing. They took a risk and they lost; there's absolutely no way the Irish people should be repaying vultures who gambled against the country.

[This is only the start of my 4 year plan btw. However, the social welfare budget is something like €19bn annually, so if we drop the foreigners I reckon we could save a fortune. Plus, I have plenty more plans to sort out this country's problems... lots of scope on teacher salaries for example.]

What do ye think?

Me likey

Me likey

That's only for starters Randolph! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ziconlian

http://golemxiv-credo.blogspot.com/

http://golemxiv-credo.blogspot.com/2010/11/spanish-bond-disaster-and-imf-panic.html#comments

http://golemxiv-credo.blogspot.com/2010/11/sphincter-nomics.html#comments
    Sphincter-nomics

Headline in the FT this morning, "Europe signs up to Irish rescue." That is how the financial class would like you to see it. A more accurate description is "Europe signs up to use Ireland as a conduit for bailing out its own banks and gets Irish tax payers to foot the bill."

Less catchy I admit. But a great deal more accurate.

Back in June of this year I wrote this.
    Basically it boils down to this. The system of finance, globally, must lower its level of indebtedness. The obvious place is bank bad debts. That has been ruled out by the financial class via our oh so compliant politicians. The other way to lose indebtedness is to use a country or countries as a conduit for debt reduction - a sphincter through which to **** out as much debt pressure as possible. Ireland is already in that ignominious position.
    And so it has come to pass for Ireland. European and UK banks are now going to use Ireland as their sphincter. And the Irish people are going to clean it up for them. Ably volunteered for the job by their loyal political class. Loyal to who and what is another question.

We, the people of these various countries need now to be very careful.

Over the next few weeks we are going to be treated to a carefully incubated efflorescence of xenophobic bile and blame throwing. As tabloid papers in every nation try to whip up ill feeling and blame into an obscuring fog of ethnic bigotry whose main purpose will be to hide the bankers, of all our nations, pissing themselves with glee.

The British are being told "we" are going to help Ireland to the tune of €7 billion. Which, we are quickly assured we expect back. No doubt the "Why should we pay" squad will be roused from their easy chairs to fart out some ethnically oriented observation. But the truth is "we" are not helping the Irish, nor even the Irish banks. "We" will be stumping up the cash to 'help' UK banks. RBS being one of those near the front of the queue. We will 'give' money to the Irish banks who will promptly give back most of it to the British banks to whom they owe the money. And the Irish people will find themselves charged interest for having facilitated this bail out. THAT is what is happening.

Let's all be careful and clear about this. Irish banks are being used as a sphincter to for European bank debts. European and British banks are horribly exposed to to Irish debt. Which means, when translated into English, that private banks in many countries lent money into the well known Irish property bubble in order to chase high returns during the bubble years. Irish private banks accepted the money in order to lend unwisely so they too could chase high returns. Entirely PRIVATE contracts between two sets of equally greedy bankers.

There is nothing in those contracts that pertains to or involves the people of any of our nations. And yet all our bankers with the connivance of all our politicians are engineering things so that we ALL pay the bankers' private debts.

The Irish people have not bankrupted Germany's banks. German banks in partnership with Irish banks and the Irish 'regulator' (to abuse the word yet again) bankrupted Germany's banks through deals the German banks were delighted to make. British banks have left themselves with massive unpaid loans to Irish banks. Neither the British nor the Irish people had any say in the idiot deals done.

This IS NOT people against people. We, all the peoples of all these nations, are being forced to pay off all the banks. It may seem that German and British tax payers are bailing our 'the Irish', but it is not true. We are bailing out OUR own banks through Ireland. And the greatest losers will be the Irish people because they are the orifice through which we are going to squeeze the bankers present to us all.

Posted by Golem XIV

Can't agree here, they have the same right as anyone ... sure if we did this they'd all leave and we'd have not good doctors.

Costs money, lawyers are never cheap ... judges are useless and a waste of money. There has to be a better way .. if it was streamlined

Dunno if this is a good idea ... road tax means that you have legally declared the car on the road.

Taxing by fuel is kind of a good idea, but affect the poor who can not afford efficient cars.

I think road tax based on engine size is good, with no cap on size. If you want a 6l V8 Mercedes, you can afford to pay more to the government, god knows you are getting taxed for it.

Also the NCT for 10 year cars is a poor tax that should be removed.

The rest is good to me.

I'd take over quinn, and make a government insurance system ... insurance makes so much money, why can't the government do it if it a legal requirement?
    Also i'd make it so that the driver can be insured without a car, so that people will buy insurance, so that they can drive someone else car.
    Also making people insured rather than cars for tp, means we can buy more secondhand cars => more jobs for maintaining the cars.

and last and not least, take 10-40% of the profit of the banks since we had to bail them out, or the bond holders can get 1cent for their bad investment choices.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭colm1234

Okay, here we go.....

- Abolish the Seanad.

What do ye think?

I totally agree best idea yet, good to see theres some brains left in Ireland lol but what you must understand is our government could do this but wont because it means them having to work for a living an god forbid put their hand in their own pocket for once instead of using the tax payer to buy them dinner lol

Advertisement