Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some advice for a potential Mature Student

Options
  • 15-09-2010 12:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi All,

I’m new to Boards!. I’m hoping someone can offer some advice for a mature student. I’m 26 and studied science. I am currently working in a QA department in a pharmaceutical company and studying for a masters in Validation. But I’m really not content with my job and am very confused about what I want to do. I know that QA is not where I’m supposed to be!!!

I’m thinking of going back to study as a mature student. Areas that interest me include Pharmacy, Biomedical Science, Psychology (particularly behavioural analysis) and bio-medical engineering. A broad spectrum I know!!! However, for some of these courses I would be required to return to college as an undergraduate and study for 4 years. That would mean I would be 31 coming out of college!!!

I was hoping some people out there might share some of their experiences of returning to college as a mature student full time. How they coped particularly financially. Also if anyone knows of any good courses where I might be able to undertake any courses in these areas part-time that would be great.

Thanks in advance!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 sneakerbeast1

Hey I'm 31 and just started as a mature student, it's only level 5 but if I do well I can go straight to Degree level 8, but that's 5 years down the road so I'll be 36 at least before I get my first degree so I wouldn't worry about being 31 at all! Plus, it'll be your second degree which is a fantastic achievement.

Most people are telling me age is on my side so it's definitely on yours so don't worry about that part.

Money wise it's certainly hard, but the more money you have the more you spend, at least I have always been like that. It all depends on your outgoings really, I'm lucky in the sense I don't have many outgoings at all really and can get by relatively comfortably. Don't forget you get all the student discounts/benefits as a mature student too :)

And when I was looking for advice on this board about whether to go back to college someone made a great point regarding the retirement age. It's going up so effectively our working lives are longer which essentially means you are 'younger' starting this new degree comparatively to before.

Best of luck with whatever decision you make!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Rio1306

Hi Sneakerbeast1,

Thank you for your reply. It's nice to hear form soemone who has made the move. And to know that you are getting on well is even better!

The thought of doing it is so scarey. But what is even worse is rotten in a job you don't like! I am also lucky that I have no major outgoings. So now is really the time for me if I want to make a move.

I'm delighted to hear that things are working out for you and wish you teh best for the future.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

You could apply directly in to 2nd or even 3rd yr in some cases. Give the colleges about a month to get over the new students. Ring them or call in, asked to be notified of open days etc.

PS 30yr starting my degree in fine art !

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Chorcai wrote: »
    You could apply directly in to 2nd or even 3rd yr in some cases. Give the colleges about a month to get over the new students. Ring them or call in, asked to be notified of open days etc.

PS 30yr starting my degree in fine art !

Yes, this is true. I would contact the various departments in the colleges and see what they say.

I'll be 31 finishing up too (going into 2nd year). No worries!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭elleburp

And when I was looking for advice on this board about whether to go back to college someone made a great point regarding the retirement age. It's going up so effectively our working lives are longer which essentially means you are 'younger' starting this new degree comparatively to before.
    That's a really good point! I'm 30, applying to go back to college next year to start a degree in a field completely different to the one I hold a degree in already. My nerves are at me, I don't know how I'll manage financially but the thing that's really putting me off is going back to square one. I think I'm making the right decision though. Worst case sceario is my application is unsuccessful. I have to apply though, otherwise I'll never know!

OP, I've no advice! I'm in the same boat as you :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Rio1306

Thanks everyone! I'm currently doing all the necessary research to see where my options lie. It's a a nerve wracking road but fingers crossed I'll find the option right for me.

Thanks for the idea to check if I may be exempt from any modules. Definitely worth a look!!

Good luck to everyone who is out to persure someting out of their comfort zone. I hope it works out of us all :)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 jakfrost

I'm assuming you completed your science course.Was this a level 8 degree? If so be aware that you will be liable for full fees, and will not be eligible for a grant irrespective of whether or not you received one for your previous degree.

Notwithstanding that I followed a similar path to yourself;science degree,worked in QC,hated it and went back to study one of the courses you listed and all's going well. Don't worry about the age thing,it's a couple of years in college versus a life time doing a job you dislike.

Best of luck with your research.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭captain P

jakfrost wrote: »

Notwithstanding that I followed a similar path to yourself;science degree,worked in QC,hated it and went back to study one of the courses you listed and all's going well. Don't worry about the age thing,it's a couple of years in college versus a life time doing a job you dislike.

Best of luck with your research.

I'm the same, microbiology degree - but never worked in it. Now I'm stuck in a dead-end insurance job that is turning my brain to mush. I'm considering going back to do another undergraduate in a different area. I'll be 26 if I start next year and I'm more terrified of the financial situation than anything else! I'd have to depend on my boyfriend for money, it'd delay getting a mortgage for 4-5 years too... tough decision.
    But as you've said above, it's a couple of years on college vs a life in a job you hate.

best of luck OP!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭macskanadrag

Hey OP,
    i'm in the same boat as everybody else on this thread, thinking of studying something completely different to what i studied before, I'm 28 so i'll be 33 when i finish.

Luckily i have no big financial commitments and i can also get by on a little money but it's still daunting to commit 3-4 years of my life to full-time study and having no income... And as far as society is concerned, once you have a degree you had your shot, forget about grants and social welfare. I have to look into this a bit more, there HAS to be something!

Still, I subscribe to the above, it's better to sepnd a few years studying what you want than a lifetime in a job that frustrates the life out of you :)

Aaah, i feel so relieved that there are others like me! :o I knew there must be, but now that i have seen it with my eyes, i feel much better!

Best of luck and sorry i can't give any useful advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 justplainme

Hi op,
    Fair play to you for considering to go back to college.. two words of advice - DO IT!!
    I already had a degree in business & office job was not for me so after 3yrs of job I hated decided to go back to do what I originally wanted to do - science :D (I'll be 29 when I'm done - age shouldn't be a factor!)
    it's tough work and as other posters said no help from state - no grant, full fees etc. I worked part-time at weekends & summers for first 3 years of my course - now that I'm in fourth year I'm concentrating on getting best results I can. I've been watching money all the time with this in mind.
    As another poster said you get some great discounts as student :D banks do free banking, discounts off from cinema, shops etc so all that helps.
    At the end of the day, work is hard enough without doing something you dislike..
    best of luck in your new adventure :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 graspoon

hi guys.. I left college in 2007, been working in financial services since then and its not where i want to be.

I would absolutely love to go back to college as a mature student (im 24) in NUI Maynooth, one of the courses there is perfect for me.

I was in touch with the admissions office who explained i need to apply online with the college and also through CAO. Interviews wil be held in March.

... My question is, when do mature students find out if there application has been successfull?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 justplainme

Hi graspoon.

when i applied to go back I applied through CAO as mature student. I didn't have any interview though. I applied to go back in Jan 07. according to my emails I accepted my course online on 12th July 07 through the CAO. Don't really recall the time I got the offer in the post but must have been sometime around then. Sorry I can't really remember exactly.

Advertisement