Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accepted my uni offer & registered to be told I don't qualify under "Second Chance"?

Options
  • 15-09-2010 1:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

Hi, I was offered Arts @ UCC as a mature student in my late 30's and was happy to get it and thought I was eligible under what's called the "Second Chance Scheme" but when I phoned them today they said no, I wasn't eligible. The last time I was at 3rd level was the academic year 2004/2005 when I was doing a level 8 degree at UCC. Then in September 2005 I started a course at a PLC college (level 5 or 6) but left within a few weeks. But I have now been told that because of those few weeks on a level 5 or 6 course I can't avail of the Second Chance Scheme (5 year rule) I can avail of it next year however.

I am in reciept of a disability allowance as I suffer from depression and have also been told I *may* have ADHD. That was the really the reason why I didn't (couldn't) complete either course previously. Anyway, the Dept of Education website says: Candidates, who having attended but not successfully completed an approved course, are returning following a break in their studies of at least five years in order to pursue an approved course at the same level in the 2010/11 academic year (i.e. Second Chance Students)

I'd interpreted this to mean that what was taken into consideration was my last time at 3rd level as it was 3rd level to which I was returning this time but I've been told no, that interpretation of it is incorrect? And in fact any course at any level breaks the 5 year rule. I guess they are correct but that's just not how it reads to me? Just wanted to double check what folks thought about it? Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ILA

Woah! You can get Disability Allowance for Depression? Why hasn't somebody told me this before, I'm a regular sufferer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 swish10

ILA wrote: »
    Woah! You can get Disability Allowance for Depression? Why hasn't somebody told me this before, I'm a regular sufferer.

You don't simply get DA because you walk in and say "eh, I feel depressed", you are assesed by a doctor (the departments own doctor by the way - not your own) and a determination is then made on the basis of that and medical records if required. If you believe you suffer from depression then by all means apply for DA.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

swish10 wrote: »
    Hi, I was offered Arts @ UCC as a mature student in my late 30's and was happy to get it and thought I was eligible under what's called the "Second Chance Scheme" but when I phoned them today they said no, I wasn't eligible. The last time I was at 3rd level was the academic year 2004/2005 when I was doing a level 8 degree at UCC. Then in September 2005 I started a course at a PLC college (level 5 or 6) but left within a few weeks. But I have now been told that because of those few weeks on a level 5 or 6 course I can't avail of the Second Chance Scheme (5 year rule) I can avail of it next year however.

I am in reciept of a disability allowance as I suffer from depression and have also been told I *may* have ADHD. That was the really the reason why I didn't (couldn't) complete either course previously. Anyway, the Dept of Education website says: Candidates, who having attended but not successfully completed an approved course, are returning following a break in their studies of at least five years in order to pursue an approved course at the same level in the 2010/11 academic year (i.e. Second Chance Students)

I'd interpreted this to mean that what was taken into consideration was my last time at 3rd level as it was 3rd level to which I was returning this time but I've been told no, that interpretation of it is incorrect? And in fact any course at any level breaks the 5 year rule. I guess they are correct but that's just not how it reads to me? Just wanted to double check what folks thought about it? Thanks.

Who said no, The college, DA, BTEA ?

Who said no, The college, DA, BTEA ?

Department of Education (Student Support @ Tullamore) Some decentralisation thingie.

In a way maybe it's for the best. Depression has a way of creeping up on you and not great at present, not suicidal or anything but not great either. I've alredy sent an email to UCC asking for a deferral citing my depression etc, I had just intended to slog on through with UCC in any case but now the decision has been made for me basically. The "no" about the Second Chance thing was the final straw so to speak. I can go next year.

ILA wrote: »

Very fragile comment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Please keep to helpful comments folks. Thanks. - Larianne

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lbm24

Hi Swish10.

I was hopinh you might be able to help me. I am looking at going back to college and was considering waiting another few years to avail of the second chance student program. My question is though, I was in college in Trinity doing a level 8 course, I hated it, kept failing years etc and made it to 3rd year exams. I passed 3rd year, but I did not get enough to proceed into 4th year. My only option was to repeat, and I couldn't afford it, again! Now they are telling me that I have a level 7 degree! Can I still apply for the second chance scheme?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! From Anyone!

lbm24 wrote: »
    Hi Swish10.

I was hopinh you might be able to help me. I am looking at going back to college and was considering waiting another few years to avail of the second chance student program. My question is though, I was in college in Trinity doing a level 8 course, I hated it, kept failing years etc and made it to 3rd year exams. I passed 3rd year, but I did not get enough to proceed into 4th year. My only option was to repeat, and I couldn't afford it, again! Now they are telling me that I have a level 7 degree! Can I still apply for the second chance scheme?

Enquire by contacting the department of education and ask them to confirm their response via e-mail.

lbm24 wrote: »
    Hi Swish10.

These people should be able to tell you, it's student support at a decentralised office in Tullamore: 057 9325317

As far as I know if you do actually hold a degree already, whether level 7 or 8 you cannot avail of the Second Chance scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭rhonda15

swish10 wrote: »

I'm not sure I understand what your problem is. As far as I know you can retain disability allowance and return to education (doesn't matter at what level). So why would you need the Second Chance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Rooneysdaman

rhonda15 wrote: »
    I'm not sure I understand what your problem is. As far as I know you can retain disability allowance and return to education (doesn't matter at what level). So why would you need the Second Chance?

I presume the concern is to do with tuition costs?

And I'm sorry for your troubles Swish, it's bad enough suffering from depression by itself without having to endure the stigma that still goes with it despite all the indisputatable evidence that it is a real illness and can indeed disable many of those unlucky enough to suffer from it. If you feel yourself slipping now, it's probably best to defer for the year. Good luck to you.

Advertisement