Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doormen

Options
  • 15-09-2010 1:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

hi....

Just wondering what peoples opinions are on doormen??

I've had a lot more good than bad experiences with them,i know they cant be awkward at times, but have recently found them to be quite helpful when friends need some help
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

As long as they remember to tip their hat and bow before me while opening the door, i see no problems what so ever.

I do appreciate it when they open the car door for me as well.

Reginald just hasn't been the same these days with his back problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Doormen proper or bouncers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ILA

Obviously its a unique area of employment, which tends to attract all sorts who don't be the most socialable and many who start out in it for the wrong reasons.

I've great respect for many Door Supervisors, knowing a good few who do a top job and are fair and even handed when dealing with patrons. But of course there's plenty of bad ones, not even including unlicensed chancers who work in certain places.

I assume you mean Door Supervisors in the Security industry, not like posh Doormen at Harrods.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

alanmce wrote: »
    hi....

Just wondering what peoples opinions are on doormen??

I've had a lot more good than bad experiences with them,i know they cant be awkward at times, but have recently found them to be quite helpful when friends need some help

A necessary evil nowadays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

They arrange a taxi for me and can carry in my bags

Lots of hotels have them
    Very dressy uniforms

Great Southern in Galway is an example

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 alanmce

well i actually meant doormen in nitclubs...i.e bouncers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Never had a bad experience with any of them.

Been thrown out of a club once or twice but they've never laid a finger on me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Bouncers are a simple people, by which I mean they come across as being a bit thick. Too many cnuts in that line of work these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

nitclubs...i.e bouncers
    Surley they'd be Jumpers rather then Bouncers in a nitclub?

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ILA

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Bouncers are a simple people, by which I mean they come across as being a bit thick. Too many cnuts in that line of work these days.
    Obvious troll is OBVIOUS.

• Advertisement

AgileMyth wrote: »
    but isnt that like any job???

there are a lot of wa*ker* in a lot of lots??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Banji

Never really had a problem with any bouncers. They're just doing a job. From what I can tell they get a lot of hatred for making the correct calls.

i.e not letting 17 year olds in, not letting in people under 21, not letting in people that are completely wasted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Ok, I take it we're talking about 'bouncers'.

Well I done doorwork for over 15 yrs, and honestly met some downright arseholes working the doors.

But I've also worked with some of the most honorable men & women I've ever met in my life - many of whom will remain life long friends.

The perception of bouncer's not being able ''to get a real job'' is largely false.

I've worked with guards, soldiers, solicitors, accountants, a lecturer in maths in UCD, student doctors & trades men of every sort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

I suppose their probably is, its just that I've met an awful lot of d*ckhead bouncers.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Normal people just doing a job and they get a hell of a lot of abuse for it.

Its the tiny majority who can be pricks that ruin the name and reputation for the guys doing their job with no attitude or the like.

I know a few bouncers in Cork in different pubs/clubs and they deal with a lot of trouble for what they do, dont think Id do it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

I'd much rather have them there than not there.

Actually, any problems I've ever had with them seem to be non-issues these days.
    Maybe it's being a little older or dressing better or just having grown up a bit, but recently I've found them noticeably nice and accommodating.. :confused:

It's been at least a year or two since I've had "DRINK UP its chucking out time!!" yelled in my face. They tend to wander up to me and ask me nicely these days...

Ok, I take it we're talking about 'bouncers'.

Well I done doorwork for over 15 yrs, and honestly met some downright arseholes working the doors.

But I've also worked with some of the most honorable men & women I've ever met in my life - many of whom will remain life long friends.

The perception of bouncer's not being able ''to get a real job'' is largely false.

I've worked with guards, soldiers, solicitors, accountants, a lecturer in maths in UCD, student doctors & trades men of every sort.

i`ve worked on doors myself for about 13 years,and agree competly with you!
    a lot of doormen ive worked with do so to pay to put them selves thru college!
    yes..there are a lot of bad ones out there,but find it unfair to tr them all with the same brush

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

i`ve worked on doors myself for about 13 years,and agree competly with you!
    a lot of doormen ive worked with do so to pay to put them selves thru college!
    yes..there are a lot of bad ones out there,but find it unfair to tr them all with the same brush

You know the craic so!.

I usually find too that the punter's who scream loudest and longest about arsehole doormen are usually arsehole punters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

There are certain jobs that attract more **** than others, a doorman being one of them. In some cases clubs are just looking for hired muscle and will take on any thug once they look capable of throwing people about.

That said, I've had very little trouble with bouncers overall. I think a lot of people who think they're all dickheads tend to be dickheads themselves, just like people with a universal dislike for Gardaí.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭cgordonfreeman

You know the craic so!.

I usually find too that the punter's who scream loudest and longest about arsehole doormen are usually arsehole punters.

This.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I guess the most people having issues with bouncers are between 18 and 23, go to GPO and CPs, enjoy Vodka Redbull and hating authority figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Banji wrote: »
    not letting in people under 21

This reason is a joke. The law says you can drink legally of your own choice when you are 18. This bull**** of over 21s or over 23s or whatever annoys the hell out of me. And it particularly annoys the hell out of me when you hear a bouncer use the excuse and when you go inside you find half the place is 17 anyway.

Either man up and tell the truth (i.e. don't like the look of your face, your clothes, the tattoo on your neck etc..) or get a different line of work.

This.
    Reminds me of two lads on the back of the bus a few weeks ago.

Dressed in typical buzzer uniform, they were smoking joints like it was going out of fashion and talking loudly about the impressively long list of people they'd "sparked" in recent times. As two Gardaí were walking by,they took a brief rest from their toking session to look at each other a say, with disdain dripping from their voices, "Ah, dere's the coppers - ****in' scumbags."

People in glass houses.

Uriel. wrote: »
    This reason is a joke. The law says you can drink legally of your own choice when you are 18. This bull**** of over 21s or over 23s or whatever annoys the hell out of me. And it particularly annoys the hell out of me when you hear a bouncer use the excuse and when you go inside you find half the place is 17 anyway.

Either man up and tell the truth (i.e. don't like the look of your face, your clothes, the tattoo on your neck etc..) or get a different line of work.
    it's not an excuse, it's club policy - right of admission reserved.

Clubs with this policy are trying to make their venue more attractive to a certain clientele. People in their 20's might not want to hanging around with over excitable 18-year-olds who are new to the club scene.

Some of the nights I go to are over-21's and I often find the crowd more agreeable at these events.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭questioner

i found that the worst people to give grief at the door were the type who would pass you by in the street the next week head stuck to the floor. God love them, they probably take so much **** in their weekly life that they have to vent on a friday at the person in authority least likely to do them any actual harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

I was in a bar in the main street of sydney a few years ago, it was closing up time. We we're just finishing up or drinks & about to leave & this is what one aggressive prick of a bouncer said to me & 4 other lads..."get the fcuk out or i'l kick the **** out of yiz" Are they not supposed to control crowds instead of trying to start fights?:pac:

We weren't drunk or acting stupid or anything he was just an aggressive (possibly high on cocaine or something) fcuking idiot.

Made me think irish bouncers/door men aren't the worst bunch.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Pace2008 wrote: »

Clubs with this policy are trying to make their venue more attractive to a certain clientele. People in their 20's might not want to hanging around with over excitable 18-year-olds who are new to the club scene.

Some of the nights I go to are over-21's and I often find the crowd more agreeable at these events.

AFAIK, it has to be shown on a sign by the door if they impose minimum age restrictions / style of clothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

That's fine. As long as:

1. The Policy is clearly visable (i.e. signs outside,club website etc...)
    2. It is consistently adhered to.

E.g. The Wright venue in Swords, Club policy on a Friday is over 21. Big Sign right at the the back of the area where you queue.

Get to door - depends on what the bouncer thinks per person.

For example was there 2 weeks ago with 6 people.

Two guys in front of us in queue where ID'd - both 20 - refused admission, "lads look at the sign over 21s only, good luck".

My group - me (26), male friend (28), 4 girls (2 x 18yr old and 2 x 21yr old). All ID'd, all allowed in (same bouncer). That sort of crap is a joke tbh and is not down to club policy.

AFAIK, it has to be shown on a sign by the door if they impose minimum age restrictions / style of clothing.
    Really?

There isn't really any clothing restrictions in Dulbin anyway from what I've seen. I've been all over Dublin and got in everywhere in a t-shirt and battered Converse or Adidas Classics.

I think you're far more likely to get refused wearing the Ben Sherman Shirt/Bootcut Levis/Brown shoes attire.
    That's fine. As long as:

1. The Policy is clearly visable (i.e. signs outside,club website etc...)
    2. It is consistently adhered to.

E.g. The Wright venue in Swords, Club policy on a Friday is over 21. Big Sign right at the the back of the area where you queue.

Get to door - depends on what the bouncer thinks per person.

For example was there 2 weeks ago with 6 people.

Two guys in front of us in queue where ID'd - both 20 - refused admission, "lads look at the sign over 21s only, good luck".

My group - me (26), male friend (28), 4 girls (2 x 18yr old and 2 x 21yr old). All ID'd, all allowed in (same bouncer). That sort of crap is a joke tbh and is not down to club policy.
    That's ****e when it happens. Unfortunately you'll get the power-trippers who'll refuse you because they can.

I guess you could lodge a complaint, but in truth I'd see that getting filed under B.I.N.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭cgordonfreeman

One door I work on on a Friday or Saturday night is strictly over 23s to attract a more 'upmarket' clientele i.e ignorant pricks who you can't have a bit of craic with.

It's not my policy. I think it's a load of bollocks but I don't own the club. We also wouldn't knowingly let 17 year olds in on a regular over 18s night.

Advertisement