Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doormen

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

alanmce wrote: »
    well i actually meant doormen in nitclubs...i.e bouncers

Sorry bud, not tonigh'!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Pace2008 wrote: »
    Really?

There isn't really any clothing restrictions in Dulbin anyway from what I've seen. I've been all over Dublin and got in everywhere in a t-shirt and battered Converse or Adidas Classics.

I think you're far more likely to get refused wearing the Ben Sherman Shirt/Bootcut Levis/Brown shoes attire.

That's ****e when it happens. Unfortunately you'll get the power-trippers who'll refuse you because they can.

I guess you could lodge a complaint, but in truth I'd see that getting filed under B.I.N.

Ah no the two lads that got refused weren't with us, we didn't know them or anything but it just annoys me ya know. We heard them clearly getting rejected on the basis of their age and my group started to get nervous and yet the two 18 year olds with us (who were ID'd) got in no problem.

Now, it worked out well for us, but it's just a silly situation if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

On the other hand it's a tough job, sometimes fatal:
    • The widow of murdered Limerick doorman Brian Fitzgerald fled a courtroom in tears yesterday after two men were found not guilty of her husband's murder.
    • A New York bouncer has been stabbed to death after trying to enforce a new city-wide smoking ban
    • Wayne McNally shot the bouncer after he was refused entry into Hush Nightclub in the Red Cow Inn

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Pace2008 wrote: »
    Really?

There isn't really any clothing restrictions in Dulbin anyway from what I've seen. I've been all over Dublin and got in everywhere in a t-shirt and battered Converse or Adidas Classics.

I think you're far more likely to get refused wearing the Ben Sherman Shirt/Bootcut Levis/Brown shoes attire.

From what I've heard yeah...

I've no idea what that is...
    One door I work on on a Friday or Saturday night is strictly over 23s to attract a more 'upmarket' clientele i.e ignorant pricks who you can't have a bit of craic with.

It's not my policy. I think it's a load of bollocks but I don't own the club. We also wouldn't knowingly let 17 year olds in on a regular over 18s night.

I was just referring to the need for a sign, not disagreeing with policy put forward for the door to follow.

Never had problems myself. If i'm walking by a doorman I say hi, if he stops me I ask "how are you doing?" On the way out I'll say "Goodnight lads" or something along the lines of that....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

I usually find too that the punter's who scream loudest and longest about arsehole doormen are usually arsehole punters.

I really don't think anything can be added to this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Never had problems myself. If i'm walking by a doorman I say hi, if he stops me I ask "how are you doing?" On the way out I'll say "Goodnight lads" or something along the lines of that....

Believe it or not, that can make a bouncer's night!.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Believe it or not, that can make a bouncer's night!.

Well I'm going out to have a good time, not be a prick, helps to carry the mood with ya, you know. :cool:

last thing you want is someone 3 times the size of ya wanting to rip you up into pieces.

:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

hi....

Just wondering what peoples opinions are on doormen??

They're pricks. Especially when they're driving those yellow buses.

Well I'm going out to have a good time, not be a prick, helps to carry the mood with ya, you know. :cool:

last thing you want is someone 3 times the size of ya wanting to rip you up into pieces.

:o

Thats cool.

I've often been in a messy row at the door, and a few minutes afterwards someone like yourself comes up totally unaware of what went down and say something like "Goodnight lads, great craic" (or whatever and it does lift your spirits and break the tension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭spider_pig

i hate these words - sorry lads regulars only

but how do i become this regular you ask for if i cant get in to become a regular...?

then you get told clear off because your point makes more sense then there's :mad:

iv been in places that have been shi.t all because the bouncers stopped people from coming in, like if i was a club owner id let every one in first sign a trouble then out the back door with ya if you cant show respect to the club then the club will not show respect to you ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

I wrote a big post on this a while back, my opinon remains the same:

I think the 'Bouncers are assholes' is a pretty easy bandwagon go jump on.

Sure, some can be on power trips but honestly, how many times have you gone out and there not been a problem at all. If you drove a different car every week for a year and only one or two broke down, you wouldn't be on here ranting that all cars break down and are useless.

As for bouncers asking you questions, big deal. Its merely to gauge how you are going to act when in the club. At the end of the day, Bouncers have to look out for the safety of those inside and themselves. They have a small window of opportunity to determine if someone is going to be a nuisance or not and I'd rather they made the mistake in refusing entry to a passive person than granting entry to a psycho.

I have been refused in the past and admitedly it has been annoying but there are plenty of other places to choose from. If you're getting refused from every establishment, then clearly something is wrong with your attitude/attire etc.

I've also had very reasonable bouncers who were a bit of craic. Left a club to run over to the atm and bought one of those breakfast bars while in the shop. I was still chewing the bar as I approached the bouncer on my return and he imitated this. I copped what he was doing, smiled and said "I've not taken ecstasy, just finishing off a special K bar" to which he laughed, made a smart comment and waved me in.

Last but not least, to those people who give back cheek/shout abuse at the bouncers when refused entry - The bouncers were spot on not to allow you in. If you would be that abusive to a bunch of big lads, who knows what you're capable of inside the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

I'm with Makikomi on this..

Worked on the door for about 5 years in numerous places.
    Some places were great...great crowd, pleasant security staff (moi :P) everyone worked together...bar staff management etc..

Then I worked in other places where the doorstaff would get into a fight at the drop of a hat...have a go hero's who try breaking up multiple fights on their own...try arranging a way to give a guy a few digs if he caused hassle..hated the barstaff and vice versa. Those places suck.

So like mentioned above...there's idiots in all walks of life...the ones that have any kind of power or responsibility can unfortunately make for many a crap nights out with your mates.

my 2 cents anyhoo...

spider_pig wrote: »
    i hate these words - sorry lads regulars only

Yup, its a sh*thead excuse. Never used it myself, and always advised lads to do like wise.

Nothing is going to wind someone up faster - might as well just tell someone to "fvck off" IMO.. Its a horrible, stupid & ignorant way of refusing admission.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Uriel. wrote: »
    That's fine. As long as:

1. The Policy is clearly visable (i.e. signs outside,club website etc...)
    2. It is consistently adhered to.

E.g. The Wright venue in Swords, Club policy on a Friday is over 21. Big Sign right at the the back of the area where you queue.

Get to door - depends on what the bouncer thinks per person.

For example was there 2 weeks ago with 6 people.

Two guys in front of us in queue where ID'd - both 20 - refused admission, "lads look at the sign over 21s only, good luck".

My group - me (26), male friend (28), 4 girls (2 x 18yr old and 2 x 21yr old). All ID'd, all allowed in (same bouncer). That sort of crap is a joke tbh and is not down to club policy.

Nice Work Fella!

biko wrote: »
    • Wayne McNally shot the bouncer after he was refused entry into Hush Nightclub in the Red Cow Inn

I used to live near there, used to be Diva I think. Not great but not bad either.

RoverJames wrote: »
    I used to live near there, used to be Diva I think. Not great but not bad either.

From there's bout's myself... It was called Diva at the time of that happening...

Think it may of happened 1 or 2 other times as well...

The people that go there are the kind of people from Tallaght / Clondalkin / Balleyfermot that don't get to go into anywhere in town...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Some of them are arseholes but then with the amount of sh*t they have to put up with on a regular basis that's kinda understandable (in most town/city centres anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

All depends on where you go....Limerick has the worst bouncers I've ever came across...complete scum about 99% of them..I think I know of about 2 sound guys out of the whole lot..

Galway I remember being very impressed by them. Extremely well mannered, polite and made me and my mates feel very welcome.
    Remember we were in one bar, it was xmas party,,,lots of loud talking etc (nothing serious just laughter) and I remember one bouncer walking towards us.
    Thought they were going to kick us out but he just said to me "lads if you want to sit down there's a spare table and seats right behind ye".
    I remember I was taken aback as it was something I never expected but since they made us feel so welcome we ended up spending the whole night there.

Cork..met some real nice bouncers as well and pretty much any other place I've been to here and abroad...all sound guys just doing a job and not being a general dickhead like the limerick lads.

From there's bout's myself... It was called Diva at the time of that happening...

Think it may of happened 1 or 2 other times as well...

The people that go there are the kind of people from Tallaght / Clondalkin / Balleyfermot that don't get to go into anywhere in town...

Used to go there and to the Playhouse in Tallaght, thought the patrons were very decent folk to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

well i actually meant doormen in nitclubs...i.e bouncers

Like fleaclubs? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

Jev/N wrote: »

нет!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

No matter how "cnutish" the bouncers are you should treat them with respect. They might save you from getting your head kicked in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

No matter how "cnutish" the bouncers are you should treat them with respect. They might save you from getting your head kicked in.

If a bouncer is being cúntish, as you put it, then he deserves no respect.

Birneybau wrote: »
    Nice Work Fella!

Thanks, I do my best! :D

I do remember, fondly, one "incident" with a bouncer a few years ago in Spirit (now Academy I think), Abbey Street, Dublin.

College Group night out, about 11 of us, mix of girls and guys. Anyway some of us (two in particular (myself and a friend)) had put away a good bit at a house beforehand. Now, I am not a messy drunk or have been in a fight caused trouble in a club in my life but I am sure I looked a bit worse for wear.

Anyway everyone gets in except myself and friend. Bouncer says "lads, no messing, I think you need to work off a bit of the drink first. go away for a half an hour and grab a coffee and we'll see then".

Anyway, in a situation like that you basically think well thats the nice way of saying "fúck off, you're not coming in". Anyway we let the rest of the group go ahead and we decided to give it a try. Down to Supermacs for a chat and coffee. bout half an hour later we arrive back up to the door, almost empty coffee cups in tow. Went over to same bouncer - "good lads, cheers for that, go on ahead, just take it bit handy will yas".

I thought that was a coool night thing to do, really lived up to his word which was great. we had a great night afterwards too! :D:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

AgileMyth wrote: »
    I suppose their probably is, its just that I've met an awful lot of d*ckhead bouncers.

Then you really have to ask what you are doing to draw so much attention from dickheads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 alanmce

Jev/N wrote: »

ha...never even noticed that typo......but u got the jist anyway :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭cgordonfreeman

Uriel. wrote: »
    I do remember, fondly, one "incident" with a bouncer a few years ago in Spirit (now Academy I think), Abbey Street, Dublin.

College Group night out, about 11 of us, mix of girls and guys. Anyway some of us (two in particular (myself and a friend)) had put away a good bit at a house beforehand. Now, I am not a messy drunk or have been in a fight caused trouble in a club in my life but I am sure I looked a bit worse for wear.

Anyway everyone gets in except myself and friend. Bouncer says "lads, no messing, I think you need to work off a bit of the drink first. go away for a half an hour and grab a coffee and we'll see then".

Anyway, in a situation like that you basically think well thats the nice way of saying "fúck off, you're not coming in". Anyway we let the rest of the group go ahead and we decided to give it a try. Down to Supermacs for a chat and coffee. bout half an hour later we arrive back up to the door, almost empty coffee cups in tow. Went over to same bouncer - "good lads, cheers for that, go on ahead, just take it bit handy will yas".

I thought that was a coool night thing to do, really lived up to his word which was great. we had a great night afterwards too! :D:)

If I ask someone to get a cup of coffee and they do I'll always let them in afterwards. It's pointless asking them to get a cup of coffee and refusing them afterwards. You're just asking for an argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

I don't frquent places that need bouncers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

Bouncers are mostly ok, same goes for bar staff, but some of the other staff at clubs can be right pricks (promoters, organisers, ticket people etc.).

Advertisement