Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doormen

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

I don't frquent places that need bouncers.

lol, look at you trying to sound uppity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

I once bought a sodastream from a bouncer.
    True story.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

I once bought a sodastream from a bouncer.
    True story.

Did you get any flavours with it, or just the device?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

SV wrote: »
    lol, look at you trying to sound uppity.

In my experience there are two types of places that need bouncers: nightclubs and rough pubs, and I don't go to either.

Nothing uppity about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

In my experience there are two types of places that need bouncers: nightclubs and rough pubs, and I don't go to either.

Nothing uppity about it.

Your experience is very limited so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 alanmce

all venues should have some kind of security staff
    its not what they let in.....its what they keep out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Did you get any flavours with it, or just the device?
    Gooseberry.
    :(

Gooseberry.
    :(

****ing boo!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

SV wrote: »
    Your experience is very limited so.

Not at all.

I'm just lucky in that where I currently live my locals have no problems with their clientele that require doorstaff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

AFAIK, it has to be shown on a sign by the door if they impose minimum age restrictions / style of clothing.
    Try pointing out to the bouncer that they don't have the appropriate signage, he'll let you in then

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

Banji wrote: »
    Never really had a problem with any bouncers. They're just doing a job. From what I can tell they get a lot of hatred for making the correct calls.

i.e not letting 17 year olds in, not letting in people under 21, not letting in people that are completely wasted.

Most of that is actually bollocks.

Yeah their doing a job and a few times I've been refused since I didn't have I.D.
    The one place that really did annoy me was when the bouncer asked me how old I was (since I had no ID at the time) and I said "20" (I looked about... 24ish according to another doorman the night before when he asked the same thing, though in a different bar). So the bouncer said to me "sorry, only over 24s tonight", my reply was "alright, grand" and I was about to walk away and then my friend (who was 19) said to the bouncer that let him in "sure you're letting me in and I'm 19" and the bouncer said "it's up to each bouncer who let's who in" so I doubled up laughing, said bye to my friends and went somewhere else with a few lads from work.

Compare that to a time in a different place where we were going to meet some more friends (about 10pm) and I had 2 sambuca and cokes, the bouncer was Polish, my two friends got in and again, I had no I.D. But that wasn't the problem. Sambuca smells really strong and the bouncer just said "I'm sorry but you can't come in, I think you've had too much to drink". I asked if I was acting in a drunken manner and he decided to be honest and said "there's a really strong smell of alcohol from your breath, I think you're far too drunk to let in" so I said alright and went on my way.

Point is, it's usually the bald headed Irish ones that look like they've been beaten with a frying pan that give the most hassale (from what I've seen) and tend to be a lot more physical than other ones.
    If you were just honest (sorry you're too drunk, too young looking, not dressed right and so on, it wouldn't make you appear to be a pri*k.
    Pace2008 wrote: »
    it's not an excuse, it's club policy - right of admission reserved.

Clubs with this policy are trying to make their venue more attractive to a certain clientele. People in their 20's might not want to hanging around with over excitable 18-year-olds who are new to the club scene.

Some of the nights I go to are over-21's and I often find the crowd more agreeable at these events.

Except when people get in that are clearly under 18, without I.D and generally they're either young girls dressed like whores trying to appear older or else fellas that think they're "bleedin' deadly like".

And to add on to that most of the clubs for around 18 (really 15) to 25 range, if you seem like you'll buy a boat load of overpriced alcohol, you're welcome in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I find that bouncers will be fine to whoever their clientele are meant to be. Take the beers that people go to for example on this site, I've had no problem with bouncers at the venues that boardsies usually choose. I don't know, maybe I just look like their typical clientele. They are actually sound to be honest.

Then there are other places that I would go to with my mates and jaysus, it's like 20 questions, trying their best to make me contradict myself or whatever. If you pass their "test" it's as if they are begrudgingly letting you into the place. So yeah, maybe I just don't look like their typical clientele. No hard feelings I suppose.

But sure whatever like, I'm perfectly happy going to the places that actually welcome my money. ;) :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭D.R cowboy

I was out on the lash with the guys last week, we were having a few drinks , minding our own business. Then all of a sudden this bounces comes up and pushes one of the guys, and says "dont be chatting up my girl friend", so my friend was basically like "what are you even on about??", anyway the bouncer gets thick and calls for back up :rolleyes: as he knows there is 10 of us.
    So then bouncer grabs my friend and he decks him, so we all jump in swinging and there is a massive fight j , Another bouncer comes in and i decked the ****er , and i mean properly too . Anyway we left the club after that. I think they're all pricks :mad:

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Try pointing out to the bouncer that they don't have the appropriate signage, he'll let you in then

The venue is actually required to have a copy of it's house rules posted within public view, so the bouncer can easily make reference to the reason he may have stopped you. A venue might have it in it's house rules that it has an age limit of "over 21's only", this is perfectly legal once it is shown on the house rules as the house rules must be submitted at the time the venue is getting it's licence and on any subsequent licence renewals.

If a venue does not have a copy of it's house rules clearly visible then people should really think about if they want to spend there money there. If a security team has not ensured that management are showing the houserules then it can normally be taking as an indicator that the security team is maybe not up to snuff.

People need to vote with their feet more, and mindlessly go to venues that might mistreat them in a number of ways a lot less.

I did doorwork for the guts of a decade, and it was never difficult to ensure that i dealt with staff, management and customers in a profressional manner. If you are willing to repeatedly put up with less, then that is YOUR issue (general advice to punters as opposed to quoted Boardsie).

There are a number of avenues to deal with complaints, and it's fairly easy to find out exactly what your rights are in these circumstances. All doorstaff should now have visible on their person, above the waist and below the neckline, there PSA badge. On this badge will be a number, you can take this number and make a formal complaint to the PSA with it. DO NOT ask a doorman for their name as they are not obliged to give it to you, but the do have to give you there PSA number. If you are going to places that are still operating without PSA licensed door staff then you are really just allowing that venue to **** you over.

D.R cowboy wrote: »
    I was out on the lash with the guys last week, we were having a few drinks , minding our own business. Then all of a sudden this bounces comes up and pushes one of the guys, and says "dont be chatting up my girl friend", so my friend was basically like "what are you even on about??", anyway the bouncer gets thick and calls for back up :rolleyes: as he knows there is 10 of us.
    So then bouncer grabs my friend and he decks him, so we all jump in swinging and there is a massive fight j , Another bouncer comes in and i decked the ****er , and i mean properly too . Anyway we left the club after that. I think they're all pricks :mad:

The funny thing is, there'll be a time when you need a bouncer's help. TBH, if I were you I'd go to decent places. Not places where there are prc*ks for bouncers.

My rule of thumb is if I'm refused once (without a decent reason, not dressed right, too drunk or something legit) then I don't care to go back again. If the bouncers want to be a pri*k, what's the odds they'll help me if someone tries to start a fight.

Logical Fallacy, yeah but come on. Who in their right mind are going to try and talk in a civil manner to the thug-like brute that basically told them to fu*k off?
    I remember one time I was debating (well arguing without getting agressive) with a bouncer and there was a bit of a queue so he asked me to step aside and we had a talk about what we can and can't do. He ended up saying he'd give me his badge number and offered to get the manager to talk to me if I wanted.

But that was because he wouldn't let me in on account of it was over 21s (I didn't know then when the queue died down a bit I actually saw the sign, started laughing, thank the bouncer and was on my way).

Compare that person to "ah sure not tonight lads, ALRIGHT LADIES, LOOKING FINE GET IN HERE LOVE!". If they're going to act like thugs, why the Hell would you even want to have rights with them? The odds of getting a civil responce back is about as much as getting the nice ape to admit that they made a mistake.
    Wouldn't it just be easier to go somewhere else instead of badgering the guy that has anger issues and has no problem calling six other guys to smash your face in?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

You BUD, are well haaaard!

yeah but come on. Who in their right mind are going to try and talk in a civil manner to the thug-like brute that basically told them to fu*k off?

see yet again a common mis-conception!

not all doormen and bouncers have shaved heads and are huge!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Did that really happen?

alanmce wrote: »
    yeah but come on. Who in their right mind are going to try and talk in a civil manner to the thug-like brute that basically told them to fu*k off?

see yet again a common mis-conception!

not all doormen and bouncers have shaved heads and are huge!!

You'll also notice that I mentioned some good times. Generally though, I've met only the thug-like ones that are shaved and with squat faces that look like their mother was fond of hitting them with frying pans.

• Advertisement

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Did that really happen?

Hardly!

Hardly!

Have you ever gone to a place with pri*k bouncers?

Have you ever gone to a place with pri*k bouncers?

of course...and ive worked with a few over the years.....but come on...no bouncers is just gonna walk up and deck a bloke??

and then for other bouncers to come in....all hell break loose....and then just walk away from the club without anything happening?

i know if i was in that suitation.....getting hit for no reason....id be onto the gardai and having him or her....done for assault

of course...and ive worked with a few over the years.....but come on...no bouncers is just gonna walk up and deck a bloke??

and then for other bouncers to come in....all hell break loose....and then just walk away from the club without anything happening?

i know if i was in that suitation.....getting hit for no reason....id be onto the gardai and having him or her....done for assault

Nice try. "well you see, I was in the pub and the bouncer started pushing me".
    Bouncers version: I got attacked, as you can tell, they've been drinking.

Unless there's CCTV the gardaí will side with the bouncers. And even then... you're drunk so you clearly started it.

Unless there's CCTV the gardaí will side with the bouncers. And even then... you're drunk so you clearly started it.

not always the case....
    and most venues would have cctv now a day!

and also...if the bouncers are thugs...like have been stated,anytime something happens,it will be recorded,so,if there are repeat allagations about the same venue or doorman...something would have to be done?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭cgordonfreeman

Surely the statements of the group of friends would sway the Gardai to investigate it a bit without blindly believing the security?

The story seems fictional anyway....

not always the case....
    and most venues would have cctv now a day!

and also...if the bouncers are thugs...like have been stated,anytime something happens,it will be recorded,so,if there are repeat allagations about the same venue or doorman...something would have to be done?

You'd be surprised then how often turnover happens in certain clubs for "young people".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭D.R cowboy

The funny thing is, there'll be a time when you need a bouncer's help. TBH, if I were you I'd go to decent places. Not places where there are prc*ks for bouncers.

My rule of thumb is if I'm refused once (without a decent reason, not dressed right, too drunk or something legit) then I don't care to go back again. If the bouncers want to be a pri*k, what's the odds they'll help me if someone tries to start a fight.

I know you're right , it was a well know nightclub with IRA doormen:rolleyes:

We wont be going there again , I can tell you that:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Ah my own little story

Was a member of Westwood gym in Dublin 3.
    I'd often go late in the evenings when it quieted down.

The bouncers for Barcode (bar next door on same premises )would stop people by the gates by the road, you have to get in line and show ID

There I was in my tracksuit, gymbag and Westwood scanner keyring and I was told to get into line and ID ready. :confused:
    Even when I explained myself I told they can't let people walk straight into the carpark, everyone gets inline and gets checked. Once you explained you were going to the gym they let you in but want to see your scanner keyring to prove it.

WTF? So I have to wait with people going drinking, even if it's just a minute or two
    I wrote a letter and gave it to the manager, never heard anything about a solution.
    As the same thing happened me next Saturday evening!

I don't know if it's management or the bouncer who brought in that ridiculous policy, surely there was another solution
    But you don't pay 75 euro a month for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭deaddonkey

I work a nightclub bar.
    Bouncers are absolutely fine with me.

Advertisement