Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doormen

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Never been to a proper club, closest is an over-16s kip in Tullamore.

First night there I was off me face going in. First bouncer grabbed me and said "Are ye feeling alright?" I replied "Aaaaah yeeah shhure I'm graand man" he says "No you're not, fcuk off" then a different bouncer let me in when the other fella wasn't looking.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Cook my sock

No, prejudiced because you don't think knackers go to college.
    have you ever passed CIT?
    off topic, but that makes me predijuced how?
    so all bouncers are knackers and so is everyone in CIT yeah?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

Mr.S wrote: »
    I've never personally had any big issue/problem with a bouncer. Never been denied into a club but i can see why some people are.

If your shouting your head off/stumbling/being cheeky to the bouncer/dressed in a tracksuit or hoody, wtf do you expect? Honestly, its mind boggling.

Fair enough some of the bouncers out there are on power trips. The only minor issue I have with them is at closing time when they usually just rudely get people to leave.

The first place I said before, I was dressed in nice black trousers, a nice black short sleeve shirt and nice black shoes still got refused to go the the "club", it was a college/young kids place, guess I was too nice? Or the pri*k didn't like me from halfway down the line.
    They were in his way?

Or he made sure I came with him, I pointed out the girl and he told me to go to the bar and ask for another bouncer and I did, it worked out with two scumbags getting thrown outside, a girl being looked after/nearly an ambulance called for her and yours truely getting a free two pints.

Probably. As i said, some bouncers are on power trips, from the sounds of it you where a bit more dressed up then the average punter and the bouncer (for some odd reason) denied you?

Best thing to do in that situation is just go to another club!or go back in half in hour and try again

Bollocks the 30 minutes I say. It was a club for young people (like Redz or Eamon Doran's and so on, one of those places (not any of them, I'm not going to name and shame)

The pri*k of a bouncer refused be being "under 24" yet my 19 year old mate got in... AFTER the kids that barely were 16 (the under 16s were without I.D. like me but had girls dressed like hookers)... Had the bouncer have been honest I'd have happily gave a good version of the story in this thread (like I did with the Polish fella) but he was being a pri*k and as best as I could tell, was that he didn't think I'd buy much alcohol. I went a different club and the bouncer had his had hand on my shoulder (just like a tap on the shoulder/if I was running in he could haul me back sort of thing) so I turned and said "there a problem?". Queue about 5 minutes of back and foward about where I was, what I drank, who I was with and so on, I thought nothing of it. I was about to walk in and said "this bloke from X refused me, any idea why?" And the guy said "um, lack of ID?". I was fine with that and I told both bouncers, if you think I'm causing trouble, just get me to come outside, explain and I'm happy to leave the club with a smile, since I understood what I did wrong. And he was being honest. If a bouncer is afraid BEFORE the customer has been drinking to say the truth why the Hell would I want to even go back to that place?

So you where without ID/underage and you got rejected? (I think thats what you said? Your post isn't the clearest...) What did you expect?!

I was 20/21 at the time, I had no I.D. I never ever get refused from places, unless it's a legit reason, not dressed well, too drunk (basically something I can get confirmation on). Me and my mate went up in the queue. one bouncer dealt with my mate, another with me. The one that dealt with me waved about 6 people in (that were clearly underage but the girls were dressed like hookers) before me. So my mate got in and was waiting for me, I explained I had no ID (the beard makes me at least 26 :P according to most bouncers). So I explain and the bouncer said "how old are you?" "I'm 21", "only over 24s" so my mate said the bouncer closest to him that he (my mate) was 19" and that bouncer said to him "it's up to each bouncer who gets in, talk to him (the other bouncer).
    So my mate was about to say something to the other bouncer and I stopped him and said to the first bouncer "you let them in (the kids + girls) but not me?" "Yeah, the girls are fine, you aren't" "ah I see you like the young girls then" and I promptly doubled up laughing, said bye to my mate and went off with a few lads from work in another pub".

Does that explain it?
    I can understand that I had no ID. That is partly a valid reason but when you wave underage kids in and one says "AH SURE LIOKE THE NAGGIN IS ME BAG LIOKE" you get a bit suspicious of the nice doorstaff. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

Here's an example of how a doorman'/bouncer should do it; with class.
    Of course, most bouncers couldn't be expected to have the credentials this guy has; the problem is, though, many, aren't properly trained and are simply not fit to do the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Most annoying is a certain place,where they say it's over 21's on a Saturday night,which is fine.
    However,I don't like it that they allow in underage people with no i.d (one girl was thirteen in there,and no,she doesn't look more than 15) and refuse other people who are over eighteen but under twentyone,and not drunk or anything.

greetings wrote: »
    Most annoying is a certain place,where they say it's over 21's on a Saturday night,which is fine.
    However,I don't like it that they allow in underage people with no i.d (one girl was thirteen in there,and no,she doesn't look more than 15) and refuse other people who are over eighteen but under twentyone,and not drunk or anything.

Are you a girl that dresses like a slut? If you're not, that explains it (even with ID).

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Louthdrog

http://www.break.com/index/say-no-to-bouncers.html
    Maybe some of you should try this for a bit of revenge.:D
    Bouncers are grand. If your pissing them off theres a reason. Only ever came across two who gave the whole "regulars only" excuse. Just went next door and spent our money in a different establishment. Their loss, not ours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

HATE THEM XOXXOXOOXOXOOXOXOXOX

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

The club where I work has the absolute best team of security I have ever met, I have had this opinion since before I worked there even, they are not heavy handed but have no problem stopping the dregs of the town from coming in and ruining other peoples nights out

Would you like it if the doors of every club were open to the drug dealing, thieving and violent little ****s of the country? I know you get an element everywhere you go, almost impossible to shut out all of them, but in our place we have very very little trouble and the lads on the door will put themselves on the line for the staff, customers and each other if needs be.

i feel totally secure in work (it is a very busy bar) with them on the door and feel i have to defend them, i have met some assholes in my time, but tbh i have met assholes in every walk of life and profession that i have come across and i dont think it is fair to assume that if a guy is a doorman he is going to be any less courteous then an accountant you might meet out, i know who i would have my money on to be more obnoxious (i say accountant as i am studying to become one and all you have to do is look around my class to see some of the biggest ****heads you will ever meet)

plenty of bouncers are intelligent and pleasant, the best doorman is the guy who never has to use his fists, there are plenty out there who can defuse situations with a quiet word in someones ear and they deserve more respect and credit for the job they do

they get threatened by some very tough individuals who dont think anything of attempting to assault them with or without a weapon, i am much happier that i dont have to deal with that scum because of them

Rant over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

alanmce wrote: »
    hi....

Just wondering what peoples opinions are on doormen??

I've had a lot more good than bad experiences with them,i know they cant be awkward at times, but have recently found them to be quite helpful when friends need some help

Thing is you never remember a good experience with a doorman, only the bad ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

OisinT wrote: »
    Good upstanding places don't usually require bouncers though tbh

LoL, "good upstanding places" wouldn't exist if it wasn't for someone there inforcing a door policy that just happens to suit you.

Lets get real here people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

If your shouting your head off/stumbling/being cheeky to the bouncer/dressed in a tracksuit or hoody, wtf do you expect? Honestly, its mind boggling.

In a lot of cases where people are refused entry, none of the above applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I once saw a doorman/bouncer stop a mate of mine and tell him he wasn't coming in cos he'd too much to drink.....the guy was teetotal!!!

Tits!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

OisinT wrote: »
    Good upstanding places don't usually require bouncers though tbh

lol.

Good one.

kfallon wrote: »
    I once saw a doorman/bouncer stop a mate of mine and tell him he wasn't coming in cos he'd too much to drink.....the guy was teetotal!!!

Tits!

Maybe he drank too much tea!.

But to put a funny slant on it.

Twice I made a complete bollox of a knock back.

Once in Leixlip I stopped a lad for being drunk - he was handicapped, I even compounded the fvck up by telling him he was twisted!.

Another time, Darkey Kellys in Dublin, I stopped a guy for being drunk - he'd suffered a stroke!... I didn't tell him he was twisted - I told him "sure you can hardly put two words together"!.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

kfallon wrote: »

Tits!

Was he tired? Had he been working hard all week with little sleep? Was he after running to the venue after getting a text from his mates telling him to either get there quick or they'd go in without him?

There are many reasons why people might appear to be a bit drunk without actually being drunk.

I can distinctly remember two seperate occassions where i stopped punters (one male, one female ) because they appeared to be too drunk, but doing a reasonable job of hiding it. After a bit of a chat with both i changed my mind and let them in. Mistakes can be made, it's how people act after the fact that is more important.

So what happened with your mate? Did he explain to the doorman that he doesn't actually drink?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

So what happened with your mate? Did he explain to the doorman that he doesn't actually drink?

Yes...and they wouldn't believe him so we all just laughed at the thick cnuts and took our business elsewhere, there was about 7 or 8 of us already thru the door when we turned around and left, if they wanted to be fooking a-holes we'd take our cash and spend it somewhere else!

I would say the bouncer realised his mistake when we all started laughing but was too stubborn and pig ignorant to admit his mistake and back down so it was 'Toor-a-loo'!

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭cgordonfreeman

Maybe he drank too much tea!.

But to put a funny slant on it.

Twice I made a complete bollox of a knock back.

Once in Leixlip I stopped a lad for being drunk - he was handicapped, I even compounded the fvck up by telling him he was twisted!.

Another time, Darkey Kellys in Dublin, I stopped a guy for being drunk - he'd suffered a stroke!... I didn't tell him he was twisted - I told him "sure you can hardly put two words together"!.

Stopped a girl one night for too much drink... She had MS. Whoops. In you go Miss...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

It's quite interesting how to some people, every/vast majority of bouncers they meet is a cnut, yet to others they are grand.

What are the odds that every single one is treating you like sh1t?

There is a common denominator here...

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭_sparkie_

I've worked with guards, soldiers,.

i hope you reported them for double-jobbing, they dont sound all that honourable .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭alexa5x5

The worst bouncers ever are the ones that work for McGowan's in
    Phibsboro, Dublin. They are truly the biggest shower of egotistical, power mad, kunts that ever graced the entrance to a 2nd rate over rated dump. Been dragged there a couple of times on work do’s, never again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

I did the exact same thing =/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Lol @ double jobbing that sounds dirty

_sparkie_ wrote: »
    i hope you reported them for double-jobbing, they dont sound all that honourable .

Pay your taxes and you can work as many jobs as you want.

alexa5x5 wrote: »
    The worst bouncers ever are the ones that work for McGowan's in
    Phibsboro, Dublin. They are truly the biggest shower of egotistical, power mad, kunts that ever graced the entrance to a 2nd rate over rated dump. Been dragged there a couple of times on work do’s, never again!

I've heard that so many times, it beggars belief why people go there.

Scratch the surface and you find the manager is a prick, its often the case when you have doorstaff like this as a good manager wouldn't have bad doorstaff - even if he's getting them very cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭alexa5x5

I've heard that so many times, it beggars belief why people go there.

Scratch the surface and you find the manager is a prick, its often the case when you have doorstaff like this as a good manager wouldn't have bad doorstaff - even if he's getting them very cheap.

I agree, I’ve worked in a few bars/nightclubs and alot of it has to do with the manager.
    I was hired to work in a newly opening bar a few years ago. There whole ethos was that it was a classy bar for more grown up people. At first it went great, the manager was involved in every area. The bouncers greeted the customers and held the door open for them, and thanked them on the way out. But as the months went on the manager started doing more and more coke, and was more interested in sitting in the (supposed) VIP area. The bouncers took over and guys that I had alot of respect for and thought of as friends turned into complete a$$holes. They started treating the usuals like $hit and started letting in who they liked....eventually the place was riddled with drugs (cos the bouncers where taking back handers for letting in dealers). I just walked out one night I couldn’t take it anymore.
    Sorry for the long story, just an example of how $hitty door management can ruin a good bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭fishtastico

Bouncers do put up with a lot of crap, but some could really adjust their attitude.

I headed out to a club in Naas once a while back to see some friends who were there. I was working nights in Dublin city and had just gotten off. When I got to the bouncer, I produced my passport and he said "didn't I just refuse you?" I assured him that he hadn't, so he asked me where I'd been until now and I told him I was at work. He said "Jaysus, I'd hate to work where you do with the amount of drink you have on you!". I hadn't had a thing to drink, so I waited around and managed to argue my way in with another guy when it was pretty clear that he hadn't a leg to stand on.

Another time I was a little drunk on a work night out, and I was refused entry, which was fair enough, but my co-worker shouts "You can't refuse him, he goes to Trinity!" and the bouncer checks my student card, and lets me in!

Not sure whether that was good or bad, but the inconsistency can't be a good thing.

EDIT: I'd also have to point out that that is the ONLY positive reaction I've ever gotten when someone heard I went to TCD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Is that that time of the month again for this thread? Time goes so fast.

I once told a guy to stand up, could hear him across the bar he was so low down.

He was in a wheel chair :)
    Felt like an ass for short while

Advertisement