Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doormen

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Rabies wrote: »
    Is that that time of the month again for this thread? Time goes so fast.

I once told a guy to stand up, could hear him across the bar he was so low down.

He was in a wheel chair :)
    Felt like an ass for short while

Something like that too.

In 'The Bridge' Westmoreland St. years ago.

A midget was coming in, I tapped her on top of the head and said jokingly "Watch your little head off the tables down there" - she freaked!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    I really wish I could speak my mind on the bouncers that did the doors on that place a few years ago, but I may get banned if I do.
    I used to go to Barcode almost every week between the ages of 18-19. It's hard to know which ones you're talking aboout since the place had an obscenely high turnover of door staff. Some were pretty sound. My mates and I got on particularly well with two, a Romanian and a young Irish lad, whom I've seen working around town from time to time. One of them actually saved a group of us from unwittingly wandering into a gay night. Others were some of the biggest cocks I've ever encountered in my life.

I wonder what it's like working under such a dodgy door policy; they must be told to allow in people who are obviously quite a few years off the legal drinking age.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Bouncers do put up with a lot of crap, but some could really adjust their attitude.

I headed out to a club in Naas once a while back to see some friends who were there. I was working nights in Dublin city and had just gotten off. When I got to the bouncer, I produced my passport and he said "didn't I just refuse you?" I assured him that he hadn't, so he asked me where I'd been until now and I told him I was at work. He said "Jaysus, I'd hate to work where you do with the amount of drink you have on you!". I hadn't had a thing to drink, so I waited around and managed to argue my way in with another guy when it was pretty clear that he hadn't a leg to stand on.

Another time I was a little drunk on a work night out, and I was refused entry, which was fair enough, but my co-worker shouts "You can't refuse him, he goes to Trinity!" and the bouncer checks my student card, and lets me in!

Not sure whether that was good or bad, but the inconsistency can't be a good thing.

EDIT: I'd also have to point out that that is the ONLY positive reaction I've ever gotten when someone heard I went to TCD

You just wanted to tell everyone you went to TCD, didn't you? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Generally bouncers are grand once you toe the line, though naturally i've dealt with a few pricks...

one lad in athlone had it in for some people, me being one, there was about a 3 month spell where i could not get in at all, id show up stone cold sober, garda id, no backchat and hed just sneer and either give some excuse about me "looking under the weather" or i just got the classic "not tonight mate" without any reason given..

luckily enough he got taken off the door not long after one night where he kept a rake of lads (50 or 60 of them) from coming in without valid reason. one of the lads i knew lived next door to the owner and complained about it, pointing out that the fella's ego had cost the club at least €500's worth of business on that night alone

Having said that though, they are grand 90% of the time, its just the other 10% that lets the rest down

Pace2008 wrote: »
    One of them actually saved a group of us from unwittingly wandering into a gay night. Others were some of the biggest cocks I've ever encountered in my life.

/snigger... :P

• Advertisement

alexa5x5 wrote: »
    The worst bouncers ever are the ones that work for McGowan's in
    Phibsboro, Dublin. They are truly the biggest shower of egotistical, power mad, kunts that ever graced the entrance to a 2nd rate over rated dump. Been dragged there a couple of times on work do’s, never again!
    This is completely true. One of them in particular is infamous throughout North Dublin, a power trip personified. The club's popularity baffles me completely, it's a ten-a-penny commercial affair with crap music, average drink prices, average clientele, while being wedged to the point that it's uncomfortable - and IIRC, you have to pay a tenner for the privilege of this experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

As someone already mentioned, the bouncers take lead from management. We set the rules for them to go by at times. If they're real good, then there is no need... some a good and great at reading people.
    Quick and fast judgments are made. Usually right too.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭_sparkie_

Pay your taxes and you can work as many jobs as you want.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0426/garda.html

i always thought it was illegal for guards/defence forces to hold a second job?

_sparkie_ wrote: »

No idea, I'm neither the Garda Commissioner 'nor am I the Chief of Staff of Óglaigh na hÉireann.

And unless you can stand head & soldiers above either a member of Óglaigh na hÉireannor or An Garda Siochana you'll have to excuse me if I don't pay too much heed to '_sparkie_' trying to take the moral high ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭cgordonfreeman

_sparkie_ wrote: »

I think guards can't have second jobs but can own a business and people in the army can have second jobs. I think.

Maybe what the fella mentioning he worked with guards meant they were guards after they worked with him. A few of the lads that worked in my place are now guards.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I've heard that so many times, it beggars belief why people go there.

Scratch the surface and you find the manager is a prick, its often the case when you have doorstaff like this as a good manager wouldn't have bad doorstaff - even if he's getting them very cheap.

Heard the owner of that place freaking out in the gym because i told him the place in Churchtown is still called Mcgowans too(it isnt anymore).
    He was going mad,saying he was gonna drive round there to make sure its not using the same name as his pub..ffs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

EDIT: I'd also have to point out that that is the ONLY positive reaction I've ever gotten when someone heard I went to TCD

You wouldnt have gotten it off me,pal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

unless you can stand head & soldiers

That's classic - mind if I use that one? :D:D

That's classic - mind if I use that one? :D:D
    Sorry, not tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Well when you find the portal to Narnia, let me know:p. Living in Dublin City, I'd feel safer if it was the army in a lot of the pubs
    I live in Dublin City... we must be going to different places :D

In all fairness, some places need bouncers - but if I'm nice and not causing any trouble I don't need hassle from asshat bouncers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

OisinT wrote: »
    I live in Dublin City... we must be going to different places :D

In all fairness, some places need bouncers - but if I'm nice and not causing any trouble I don't need hassle from asshat bouncers...

It's not the fact that you're being a bollocks that's the problem. It's just that with the bouncers being the bollockses, it's hardly going to end well.

Besides, sometimes it's safer going to the bouncers, it's their job, not mine. I'm not risking someone stabbing me.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭fishtastico

Crosáidí wrote: »
    You just wanted to tell everyone you went to TCD, didn't you? :p

Haha, I've graduated and managed to remain unemployed for a year afterwards, so there's not much to boast about

Advertisement