Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weights

• 15-09-2010 1:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭

Does anybody here use weights as part of their cycling training. From what I've read most road cyclists don't touch them, but obviously the track guys do.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

I use small enough hand weights in a couple of core strength exercises (to help with my back problems) but I don't go near any of the big stuff. I also use resistance tubing and a medicine ball.

However, I'm really only getting started so wait for more authoritative views.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭mgmt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

i have my own bench and free weights ,i like the weight training as it makes you free good over all .
    I have started using a gym ball for core and strength work i find it very good .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

@MGMT That routine is for going jogging on the beach with Matthew McConaughey, shirtless. Not for cycling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

@MGMT That routine is for going jogging on the beach with Matthew McConaughey, shirtless. Not for cycling.

slagging off lance ? you know where that leads ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

He should be careful hanging around in that gym. Some of them have a reputation for having people who use perforamnce enhancing drugs hanging around.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Have always used weights, never really thought it helped my biking performance, will weight train two days a week over the winter full body stuff not just leg stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Someone once said that arms are only there to stop your chin from hitting the handlebar...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭billy.fish

Does anybody here use weights as part of their cycling training. From what I've read most road cyclists don't touch them, but obviously the track guys do.

Total twoddle. Read more. They form a large part of most pro cyclists winter training.

Weights training does not mean gaining weight.

*facepalm* every time i hear this argument it makes me think of jockeys who think weight cycling is normal and part of the sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Eh, relax there. I said from what I've read, didn't claim any superior knowledge. I asked the question, I didn't make an argument. If you're going to be all tetchy about it give me something else to read then.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

yup over the years Ive used the gym extensively over the winter months x3 a week for 1-2hrs at a time, building muscular endurance by a process of neuromuscular training which increases strength without gaining much bulk.
    instead of using huge weights to squeeze out 4 reps for one or two sets
    its more like 8-10 reps of 5 sets. And you dont start out at that

you follow a progression like this

1st month

20~ reps of 1-3 sets
    -preparing the body for the real work which is to come over the next two months

2nd month

12-15 reps of 3-4 sets
    -starting to progress the training load and see the benefits

3rd month

8 reps of 4-5 sets
    -this is where you are starting to do the real strength gaining work

As I said this is for increasing bike strength, like for long climbs or breakaway efforts thnik 30 min strength

ontop of this you do on the bike strength work such a track starts in stupid knee crushing gears and also hill sprints.

finally you concentrate for 3-4 weeks on these specific bike drills as the season gets closer, but with enough time so you can still do your race prep interval work ;)

Gym Exercises like:

Leg press
    Leg Extension
    Hamstring curl

Bench Press
    Upright rows
    bicep curls

CORE AND BACK WORK USING FREE WEIGHTS IN HANDS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

lance-armstrong2x220.jpg
    When you only have one ball, make good use of it by swinging it between your legs (carefully!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

sy wrote: »
    lance-armstrong2x220.jpg
    When you only have one ball, make good use of it by swinging it between your legs (carefully!)

very original ,did you think of that by your self or did you have help

Eh, relax there. I said from what I've read, didn't claim any superior knowledge. I asked the question, I didn't make an argument. If you're going to be all tetchy about it give me something else to read then.:rolleyes:

Sorry i get cranky when people make broad statements.

Depends what you are looking to do i suppose.

Are you looking to develop sprinting power, local muscular endurance, speed endurance, strenght endurance, or just stop yourself getting injured and smashing to pieces every time you hit the deck?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Yeah, I do weights every winter. Bought my son a bench and dumbells / barbells a few Christmas' ago. Doesn't do any harm I reckon. Core fitness etc. Go through phases of doing push ups, squats and bench presses.

Look at Spartacus, he looks like he can lift a bit!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I've used kettlebells for a number of years now, more for general fitness than anything to do with cycling. Had a conversation with a friend about it recently, and we both reckon that the squats and lunges particularly are good for the hill climbs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Am i the only one here who thinks that whenever anybody here mentions weights everybody thinks of upper body ones automatically and thinks of big arms.

The weights you should be doing are leg weights! These and weights which help develop your core.

I the better riders that i know swear by leg weight routines over the winter.

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Am i the only one here who thinks that whenever anybody here mentions weights everybody thinks of upper body ones automatically and thinks of big arms.

The weights you should be doing are leg weights! These and weights which help develop your core.

I the better riders that i know swear by leg weight routines over the winter.

Still need to do some upper body work if you want you collar bones to stay attached when you crash. Or if you are a mountain biker even more important.

smacl wrote: »
    I've used kettlebells for a number of years now, more for general fitness than anything to do with cycling. Had a conversation with a friend about it recently, and we both reckon that the squats and lunges particularly are good for the hill climbs.

I've heard squats and dead lifts for sprinting.

I've heard squats and dead lifts for sprinting.

Don't make me use the T word again.

Any motion that replicates the range of motion in cycling is applicable to cycling.

Specific lifts do not make you better 'parts' of cycling, they just enable you to develop better strength over the ROM and speed that they are performed at.

Main thing that people forget for cycling when doing any lower limb weights is to be specific. Squats are great, when done cycling specific.

Look at the Q factor on your bike....you need to be able to squat in that position.

• Advertisement

billy.fish wrote: »
    Don't make me use the T word again.

Any motion that replicates the range of motion in cycling is applicable to cycling.

Specific lifts do not make you better 'parts' of cycling, they just enable you to develop better strength over the ROM and speed that they are performed at.

Main thing that people forget for cycling when doing any lower limb weights is to be specific. Squats are great, when done cycling specific.

Look at the Q factor on your bike....you need to be able to squat in that position.

Got any links that may help as an intro to this sort of thing? I rarely use weights and definitely not in a structured way.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Rowery

Still need to do some upper body work if you want you collar bones to stay attached when you crash. Or if you are a mountain biker even more important.

Eh,
    I was considering giving a bit of club racing a go next year, I have a dodgy shoulder where the deltoid is not much use and the left arm is a bit weaker because of that. I was hoping not to crash, is this an inevitable event ?

Got any links that may help as an intro to this sort of thing? I rarely use weights and definitely not in a structured way.

Hmm, most of the stuff i'd have would be in my head if im honest (few years of working with different people and issues).

You could look at some of the basics in the Joe Friel books, or if you want to get specific Cycling Anatomy is a pretty damn good book too.

However, looking at the needs that you have, and how to apply the specifics to you wont be doable through books.

Also i am not plugging my services before anyone starts....Tunney. But you are on holiday aren't you so we can all talk about compact chainrings...

Rowery wrote: »
    Eh,
    I was considering giving a bit of club racing a go next year, I have a dodgy shoulder where the deltoid is not much use and the left arm is a bit weaker because of that. I was hoping not to crash, is this an inevitable event ?

I know a few cyclists who haven't broken their collarbones at some stage. I know allot of cyclists though so....few<many.

It can happen, it cannot happen. Its racing, you will crash at some point, it is inevitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭shg101

I know a few cyclists who haven't broken their collarbones at some stage. I know allot of cyclists though so....few<many.

It can happen, it cannot happen. Its racing, you will crash at some point, it is inevitable.

Best to stick to triathlons then, since you have to be several bike-lengths from the nearest bike.

*Runs from thread having lit the fuse*

shg101 wrote: »
    Best to stick to triathlons then, since you have to be several bike-lengths from the nearest bike.

*Runs from thread having lit the fuse*

It'd be funny if i wasn't a mountain biker, cross racer and ex roadie.

Mih.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭ktz84

Well I'll answer the quetion with a question.

What is that you think that weight training will do for you that consistent, focused, structured training will not do for you better?

I wouldn't worry about what the pros do as you are not one so that is irrelevant. They have all the hours in the world to tinker with things that might offer them a marginal advantage but for those of us that have to live in the real world then for me most people would be better to just bring structure to their training which specifically targets physiological changes that are important in their type of cycling.

For those that believe weights made a big difference to their cycling I would wonder just how their training was composed in the period prior to weight training being undertaken.

I'm not saying that weights can't be helpful it is just that I don't see how it can be better than spending your time on the bike doing a focused session designed to bring about the same adaptions that your seeking to get from the weight training session.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Don't let them put you off, only two years racing but I have actually never crashed DURING a road race. One second over the line, yes, on the way home, yes, but my race record is impeccable. It is very scary but it is possible to road race without crashing for two seasons at least. Having said that I don't know of any really successful racer who hasn't broken something at some stage. But you can start and work up to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭English Bob

I remember reading that Dan Martin doesn't do any core stability training as it effects his balance and rhythm on the bike when climbing.
    If you want to train for cycling cycle. By varying the pace, resistance and intensity you should be able to structure a training program on the bike.

• Advertisement

Hmm, most of the stuff i'd have would be in my head if im honest (few years of working with different people and issues).

You could look at some of the basics in the Joe Friel books, or if you want to get specific Cycling Anatomy is a pretty damn good book too.

However, looking at the needs that you have, and how to apply the specifics to you wont be doable through books.

Also i am not plugging my services before anyone starts....Tunney. But you are on holiday aren't you so we can all talk about compact chainrings...

I basically have no idea where to start. I have 16.4kg on a basic bar at home and lift that about 4 times a year, probably badly too. I'd appreciate pointers from anyone. Do any of the gyms have starter programmes where they teach proper form etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

started doing some core strength training myself just using a swiss ball, and some dumbells. With this swiss ball you get a dvd showing you stretches, core strength excerises and weight training all on the swiss ball. Cant say if it actually works yet as I have only just started but it could be worth a go.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/run/8/Fitness_Mad_Swiss_Ball_Pump_and_DVD_Blue_65cm/5360051308/

Tie these in with some lunges and squats and I think you would have a pretty good setup going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

This might be of interest. Lots of big name coaches saying no advantage to weight training for cyclists.
    http://groups.google.com/group/wattage/browse_thread/thread/4cfd5772201e783c/13df34346460d4cc?q=Weight+training&lnk=ol&

The idea that you can directly affect FTP is a bad example. Its a variable that in itself is not scientifically shown to have a purpose(albeit a damn close one) for actual performance determination.

saying that i'm sure lots of folks are badgering away at it in labs. But i don't think that its the most important factor that people need to consider all the time. Also have to look at economy and efficiency at FTP to get a better understanding of the metabolic cost and the energy systems needed to perform the motion.

All of which have been shown to be improved in the scientific literature.

Bottom line is, you are either for it or against it (strength and conditioning) you have to make the choice. Not just be a sheep like everyone else.

Advertisement