Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike/car Carriers

• 15-09-2010 2:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭

Just wondering what peoples advice are regarding getting either a roof rack cycle mount or a rear cycle mount. I have neither btw but need to get one as the inside of my car is geting marked carrying it!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Just wondering what peoples advice are regarding getting either a roof rack cycle mount or a rear cycle mount. I have neither btw but need to get one as the inside of my car is geting marked carrying it!!

If your worried about marking your car, I would have thought a Roof mounted carrier would be better. Though i hate carriers, roof or rear mounted. I carry my bike in my car. I put the wheels into wheel bags and cover the drivetrain with an old Dunnes bag. No marks/oil stains in the car.

Also you bike will get very dirty on a rear mounted carrier if its raining. It will also get wet on a roof mounted carrier, but not as half dirty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

you could always get one of these if its just the muck thats bothering you
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Scicon_Transmission_Bike_Cover/5360037704/

or this if you take bothwheels off
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Scicon_Gear_Bike_Cover/5360037702/

and get a cheap wheel bag for the front wheel

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/dhb_Elsted_Wheel_Bag/5360018654/

(or 2 if you take both wheels off)

i have a thule roof rack system myself (which prob cost around 250 euro)

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭keenan110

If your car has a tow bar then this rack is brilliant, really sturdy and only takes a few seconds to secure it to the car!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Would recommend Thule, have a rear mounting rack for my Golf. Very solid and easy to put on (once fitted)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

The Thule tow bar carriers are brilliant as you can tilt them to get into your boot. I used one to travel to vendee in France this summer and it was tipping it down in Brittany and the bikes were not filthy. You can't clamp carbon frames though with this setup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

ashleey wrote: »
    The Thule tow bar carriers are brilliant .... You can't clamp carbon frames though with this setup.

How so? The one referenced further up looks like it should take a carbon frame.

I currently use a strap-on Hollywood which has been very good though with the limitation of not being able to access the boot. Not an issue for us as we just reach in via the back seats.

We were thinking of fitting a tow-hitch and getting a matching rack...

Clamping the top tube or down tube of a carbon frame as per some of the Thule systems (roof and tow bar) is not advised for risk of crushing type stresses. You may be fine but Wiggle's site advises against as do many others. It is a quandary as to how to transport your best bikes, but most people I've seen with expensive bikes have them inside their estate cars or vans for this reason. Alu frames are fine and most sites seem to advise a different type of carrier for carbon frames (i.e. ones with belt straps around the frame where you 'hang' the bike onto the carrier rather than clamp it in a 'claw').

i have an old version of this on the roof
    http://www.thule.com/en-GB/IE/Products/BikeCarriers/RoofCarriers/Thule%20OutRide%20561.aspx

clamps the front forks ( minus wheel ) and rear wheel

That's the product. Must get one myself too. Let's hope my wife doesn't look at my credit card receipts.
    http://www.roofrackshop.co.uk/Car-Products/Bike-Racks/Bike-Racks-Roof-Mounted/Thule-561-OutRide-Roof-Mounted-Cycle-Carrier/0002583p.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭BuyingorSelling

Seems roof rack is the preferred option - anyone know how long it takes to put a roof rack, once you have fitted tem once or do most people just leave the bars up btw im not talking about the actual bike fitting unit im on about the actual roof rack

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It all depends on the rack. I already have roof bars built into my car so just need to put up the two other horizontal bars which takes literally minutes. I have a Thule system which fits very quickly and easily and the ProRider 591. Once the two horizontal bars are up the bike rack just slides in (if you have the aero bars) and that's it.

I take mine down after every use, for some reason I think that when they're left on the car they're crying out for kids to go play with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

It's probably the case that the car manufacturer's (OEM) roof bars will be quicker to fit than the generic types. They'll also likely be more aerodynamic but probably more expensive.

Our bars for the Renault Scenic require 4 socket cap screws to be tightened and you're done. The previous version was a clamp type which required tightening 4 screws also. Either one took about 10 min.

Leaving the bars on the roof when not in use is a waste of fuel and adds noise/vibration to the ride. Take them off and stow in the boot. It's also likely the case that the OEM version will take up less space in the boot than the generics as they often have fairly bulky fitting kits.

my thule one about 5mins (first time will take you about 30 mins )

i take it off as it hits the fuel economy a bit so no point it been there if i'm not using it

A lot of car manufacturers' OEM bars are actually Thule systems (especially Volvo and some German brands) for which they overcharge. In my case the Thule aero bars were far superior and cheaper than the OEM ones. Don't even think of buying the bike carrier from a car dealer. Check out the Audi prices for example. Always take them down if you don't intend to use them for a few weeks, as it only takes 10mins and leaving them up is bad for your economy and fly catching.

Advertisement