Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keep Improving

Options
  • 15-09-2010 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭

Hi

i have been lurking around this site for few months now, robbing idea's from almost everyone here. Bout time i tried one of these log thingy's.

Backround

Ok. Where do i start.
    I'm 37 year old male, whom started to get fit in January after doing nothing for 20 years. Tell a lie, i started doing a bit of hillwalking two years ago, bout once every two weeks. Was being dropped by the faster walkers on the steep slopes, so in order to keep up, decided to get fitter.
    Have taken to the running though, and would like to improve.

First three months, stuck to the gym (exercise bike & treadmill). i remember my first run on the threadmill - i was afraid i'd get a heart attack since i hadnt ran in 20 odd years. Done 2k and was delighted.

From there i moved up to 10K on threadmill during next few months.

Started to run on road in April/May.
    Currently running 3 days a week

Tuesday = 5.2 Miles
    Thursday = 5.2 Miles
    Saturday = 10 Miles

That's as far as i have got. Have gradually being raising the mileage every couple of weeks and currently running 20.5 miles a week.

I have ran two 5k races, one 10k race and a 4 miler.

Not really getting any faster in these races - think it's because i haven't being doing any speed work. All my runs (Tuesday/Thursday) seem to be at the same pace - which i would consider Tempo's 8.30 per mile. Running them too fast i believe.
    Would like to start doing Interval's - Maybe changing the Thursday run to an interval session. Run my LSR (10miler) at approx 9 - 9.30 per mile.

PB

5K -- 22.44 - Leixlip Road Race - May 10
    10K -- 47.58 - Danesfort Road Run - July 10
    4 Mile -- 29.59 - Tinryland Road Run - August 10

Goals -

5K - Sub 22.00
    10K - Sub 47.00
    10 Mile - 1.20
    Half Marathon - 1.50

Looking to introduce Intervals into training in order to hit 5k/10k goals.
    Looking to increase week run to 12 miles in order to help achieve 10 Mile/Half Marathton.

Hope to run Waterford Marathon in December to achieve this goal.

Would love to run either Barcelona/Berlin next year as my first marathon in Sub 4 hours. - Bit afraid as yet to commit to a marathon.

Overall i am delighted i took up this sport. Beginning of the year i turned 37, looked at lifestyle and wasn't happy. Confidence has improved and feel good factor has improved immeasurably.

Other improvements needed

Diet - Is still not the best - too much chips/chocolate
    Drink - Cut down savage - few pints once every two weeks
    Fags - Have only ever smoked when having a pint - having trouble shaking off this habit. Though by cutting out the socializing (drink) reduction see.

Anyway here goes - Hope to continue to progess and improve.

Must say - to a new person like myself - you guys are an inspiration - really enjoy reading your race reports - keeps me motivated.
    Have even started the wife running.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Cool, welcome to the training logs. You could try doing one of your midweek runs shorter but faster or, as you say, use it for intervals/strides/fartleks etc.

There's really no hurry in committing to a marathon. I'm training for Dublin now, and some weeks I really wish I had a few more months of running in my legs before the programme started. If you did shorter races over the next few months you'd be well set to run Dublin next autumn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

PDCAT, keep it up and the best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

Thursday 16/09/10

Went on Treadmill today. Very slow run.

8K - 53.24 - Incline at 1.0, Speed at 9.0

After three months on the roads, have decided to go back to treadmill for next few weeks when doing my midweek runs.
    Will continue to run LSR on roads at weekend.

Main reason for this is that i'm noticing my legs (below knees - both legs) feel really weak when i'm running.

Not sure how to explain it. Last two/three weeks have noticed that the strength in both legs below knees isnt great. Feels weak/stiff, not sure how they feel to be honest, just not great and taking enjoyment from the running.
    Am going to change surface for next couple of weeks to see if they improve, if not then it's off to physio for advice.

Plan for the weekend isn't decided yet. Will either run Kilkenny 10k with my wife or go for 10 mile LSR early sunday morning. Big Local GAA match on which is clashing with the Kilkenny 10K.

If i run 10k goal is to beat my PB which is 47.58. (1 sec improvement will do). As i haven't done much speed work since i ran this time in July, not expecting great things. However, my goal at start of year for 10k was sub 50mins, achieved this already so not really bothered if i do this race or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Well done pdcat, welcome to the logs. If you are hitting those 10k times already and running a 10 mile lsr every week, then a sub 1:50 half Mara would be no problem to you already I'd say. I'm hoping to go sub 1:50 tomorrow on the back of a 50:38 10k last Saturday.

Bit ambitious I know but shur. Best of luck at the weekend if you decide to race.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭dermCu

Well done so far PDCAT, that's really good progress since April.
    If you can do some of your mid week runs on grass it might help matters. Before shelling out on a Physio you could start your own stretching regime to condition and strengthen the area. If you go down this route I'd advise that you do a full set of stretches rather than just focus on the area where the problems is.
    In theory your problems could originate anywhere from your calf to your hips/glutes. Better stop, getting close to medical advice ;)

• Advertisement

Thanks guys for your words of encouragement. Really appreicate this.

Just word of advice on stretching. What stretches should i be doing.

At the moment i spend about 2/3 minutes before and after run doing some basic stretches that i remember seeing other people do.

Can't believe i am doing the right stretches in order to strenghen by leg muscles and warm down correctly.

What do people suggest?
    Is there a website/book or something i could look at to get an idea of what stretches to do?

Proper stretching may help the problem (weakness/tiredness) in my lower legs.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭dermCu

This site gives some good basic guidance:
    http://www.physioroom.com/prevention/stretching1.php

I'm not a physio and I dont work in the medical field so you can take my advice with a pinch of salt if you want. My basic set of stretches looks like: quads/thigh, calf(lower(achilles) and upper), hamstring, glutes (and piriformis - you might have to google that one but its worth looking at especially if your day job involves sitting at a desk for long periods) and a little bit of core work.

I might be totally wrong but I treat stretching as prevention & conditioning rather than warming up/down from a run so I usually stretch in the evening as a standalone activity for about 15 - 20 mins rather than before or after a run. Again, I'm open to correction there.

Maybe start a thread in the main forum asking what stretches people do.

Thanks dermCu, will look into these Stretches, might help the legs.Can't do any harm.

Sunday 19/09/10

9.8 Miles = 1.28.11

Decided against running Kilkenny 10K as big local hurling match on at the same time. Ran 10 miles approx -Google Pedometer says 9.8 miles, Car odometer says 10.3 miles. Going with Google, dont want to cheat.

Seem to be running my long runs too fast. Need to slow them down.

Delighted that my legs were not that bad. Last couple of weeks lower legs have felt really weak/stiff but switched to treadmill for midweek runs. Seems to be helping as legs were in good shape for this run on sunday.
    Will stick to running on the treadmill during the week to help the legs.
    Need to start looking at increasing the LSR run to maybe 11 miles next weekend.

No running this week so far - pulled muscle in my back on monday morning. Taking some tablets and cream to improve.
    If improved by weekend will take long run (10 miles) on sunday morning.
    If not improved will be back running next Tuesday.

Bit of a bummer.
    Reading a book Run Less, Run Faster by Bill Pierce this week as i'm off work with this back injury. Basically himself and Scott Muir (Ironman) developed this program, the First 3plus2 program whereby you only run 3 days per week with Quality intensive sessions (intervals, Tempo's, LSR) plus two cross training sessions as well (swimmming, rowing, exercise bike).
    This seemingly reduces chances of injuries for runners whist with cross training you still get benefits of exercise.
    Interesting read.

Sunday 26/09/10

10.86 Miles = 1.46.21

First run in 7 days due to back injury, i recieved whilst brushing my teeth (i'm serious).

Anyway, ran the first 5 miles with my wife, then our routes diverged and i took on my longest run ever. Found it ok up to 7.5 miles, then i had approx 2 miles of a monstrous hill (or so it seemed). My routes are very hilly. i live at the top of a mountainous area and to get home from any route i run requires a fairly steep uphill.
    This was by far the steepest hill of any, i've ever ran and was tempted to stop and walk on a couple of occasions but fought on and made it home.
    At an estimate i would say during the 2 miles, height increase was about 1,000 feet.

Will have to look at running somewhere away from home area, as i will not be able to increase my distances, if i have to encounter as many steep hills as i do on some of my routes.

This week, plan is to run on Treadmill on Tuesday & Thursday.

Tuesday - Intervals
    Thursday - Tempo's

First time to attempt these, but i'll see how they go.

• Advertisement

Tuesday 28/09/10

Treadmill = 8K (Intervals).

First time trying these.

2K = Easy (9.0 speed on treadmill)
    10 X 400m = (12.5 speed)
    2K = Easy (9.0 speed on treadmill).

Happy enough with this session. Felt ok running the 400m reps.
    Felt niggle in the back of right knee during the last 2K. Not painful, but felt funny. Need to keep an eye on this.

Thursday 30/09/10

Treadmill = 8K (Tempo).

First time trying these.

2K = Easy (8.7 speed on treadmill)
    4K = (12.5 speed on treadmill) -- Tough.....

Overall happy enough, found the 4K very tough, but managed to complete.

Saturday 02/10/10

11.27 Miles - 1.42.02 - (9.03 mpm).

Longest run ever.... Ran a new route, flatter route than normal as i was struggling with the hills i encounter on my long run.
    Wife dropped me into a town 11+ miles from the house and i ran all the way home. Ran this run, probably too fast but felt comfortable all the way.

Tuesday 05/10/10

10 X 400m = (13.0 speed on treadmill)

Done a few weights afterwards.

Thursday 07/10/10

Treadmill = 8K (Tempo). = 45.56

4K = (12.5 speed on treadmill)

Enjoyed this. Since i started increasing speed's on treadmill, i find it more enjoyable. Before i just plodded along at the same speed for 8 - 10k.

Saturday 09/10/10

8.39 Miles - 1.31.54 - (10.57 mpm).

Ran this 8+ miles with my wife at her pace. Thought i'd take a slight step back as i had ran 11+ miles myself the week before at a faster pace.
    Found this run fairly easy and comfortable and nice to have someone to chat to on the run for a change.

Wednesday 13/10/10

Friday 15/10/10

Treadmill = 8K (Tempo). = 45.54

Work gym was closed today so went to public gym. Done some weights.

Sunday 17/10/10

11.12 Miles - 1.40.50 - (Pace = 9.04)

Early for me (8am) run through really quiet country roads on Sunday Morning. Have to say, it was one of the nicest run's i have ever done. Met two cars the whole time i was out. Fairly cold starting out, but soon warmed up. Did not wear any extra gear, just went out as normal.
    Happy with how i felt during and after this run.

Will run approx 10 miles next weekend, then up it to 12.5 miles the following weekend. All geared towards Waterford Half Marathon (my first one) and aiming for 1.50.

Looking at doing the Jingle Bells 5k in phoenix park the week before waterford half as i would like to have another crack at sub 22 for the 5k. Have had two attempts this year and 22.44 is my best. Have been doing intervals/tempo's of sorts on treadmill and would like to see if they are working for me.

Tuesday 19/10/10

• Advertisement

Very bold boy last few days. Wednesday & Thursday at family funeral (Lots of beer & fags). Friday and Saturday (Lots of Fast food). Ran 10 mile with the wife on Sunday Morning and then more beer & fags after this.

Note to self:
    No more beer & cigs for the next month at least

Sunday 24/10/10

9.81Miles - 1.39.20 - (Pace = 10.08)

Really enjoyable run with OH at pace that she was comfortable with. She is also planning to do Waterford Half Marathon and i am slowly trying to increase her mileage so she will be able for this as she has no backround fitness ever. She basically started running this year and has progressed greatly. Very gutsy girl and would love to see her achieve this.

Going to be good boy over next month as feeling shi**y with all the rubbish i have been drinking/eating in the last week.

Tuesday 26/10/10

Thursday 28/10/10

Treadmill = 8K (Tempo). = 45.56

Saturday 30/10/10

11.12Miles - 1.44.33 - (Pace = 9.24)

Ran first 5.1 miles with the wife. Then both went our separate ways and i ran the last 6 miles on my own at a decent pace for me. Felt very good during this run even though was pushing myself harder than normal for the last six miles as i was trying to catch up with herself (Failed) :mad:.

Had some beer and fags again last night after my recent promise. Lasted one week. Ah well, might as well try again.

Tuesday 02/11/10

Thursday 04/11/10

Treadmill = 8K (Tempo). = 45.58

Done some weights after.

Saturday 06/11/10

12.66Miles - 2.00.27 - (Pace = 9.31)

My longest run ever on saturday. Ran first 7.30 miles with my wife then i sped up and went ahead as i had further to run than her. Found it tougher than the last couple of long runs but was happy enough at the end.
    Reached home after 11.12 miles, however had to run last 1.5 miles after passing home (done loop to get extra mileage in). Found this last 1.5 miles tough as my head was messed up a little running past the house.

This is probably the longest run i will do before Waterford Half Marathon. Will probably run this couple more times in the next few weeks.

Sunday 07/11/10

Hillwalking today - done about 8 miles walking in the Knockmealdown mountains in Waterford. Climbed Sugar Loaf (663 metres), Knockmealdown (794 metres) & Knockshane (768 metres). Found it tough going as i went with a fast bunch of lads. Two of the fastest mountains walkers in ireland were leading the group of us. These two men were the reason (unbeknownst to them) why i started running to get fitter as they used to keep dropping me on the uphill sections of the climbs.

This was the first time i was out with these guys since i started running in January and i wanted to see had i improved.
    These two mountains goats dropped me again going up the Sugar Loaf. Waited at the top for the rest of us and i managed to stay with them for the rest day which i was happy with. Not too happy being dropped going up sugar loaf as i thought i'd be able to stay with them.

Having said that, everyone else in the group was behind me. Not sure if my legs were suffering from doing 12.66 miles the day before or that fact that i am the only person who doesn't use walking sticks (i'm making excuses). However great day and weather was good.

Haven't put anything into the log over last couple of weeks as was on holidays in Hong Kong. Haven't been very consistent in getting the run's in either..

Wednesday 10/11/10

Sunday 13/11/10 -

Treadmill = 8K (Tempo). = Not sure how long this took as ran it in miles rather than kilometers. Ran this in hotel in Hong Kong and gym was tiny with only 1 treadmill & 1 exercise bike. Was really hot and sweated like crazy.

Wednesday 17/11/10 -

Treadmill = 8K (Tempo). = Again not sure how long this took. Ran this in hotel in Macau. Much better gym than hotel in Hong Kong, however still sweated buckets and found these two hard going.

Sunday 20/11/10

11.12 Miles - 1.40.44 - (Pace = 9.04)

Back home again and delighted to be. Was a bit apprehensive starting this run as hadn't done LSR in two weeks and had ate a lot of Thai/Japanese food over the week and also 15 hours flying the previous day. Found it tougher than normal because ran at slightly faster pace than i normally run this route when other half is with me. Nevertheless very satisfied to finish and looking forward to getting back into some sort of routine. Only two weeks now to jingle bells 5k.

• Advertisement

Tuesday 23/11/10

Advertisement